View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know how to create an R4 partition compatible with (true) 1.0.4 once using 1.0.5

I would assume there is a switch but I cant find anything in the doc.

I'd like to try a more recent kernel without losing the poss to boot back to my well run and trusted 2.6.11-nitro2.

If I make a std R4 using 1.0.5 it will not be mountable under that kernel.

TIA. 8)
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just....update......

Dont say that you dont want to upgrade a good working system, because it isnt. It is broken.

Dont say that it's not unstable or CVS or anything, because thats exactly what Ricer4 is, especially older versions.

it's not difficult to set aside five or ten minutes to set a newer kernel compile off.
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it,
if Gentree wants to stay with his proven kernel, it is his good right.

Gentree: i assume, that due to severe changes in reiser4, partly due to adaptation
to in-kernel vfs, the 1.0.5 version of reiser4progs is most likely not backward compatible.

I can only agree that the recent reiser4 changes were everything but good for the
fs itself.

Try sticking to reiser4 progs 1.0.4 and same version of libaal and libaal-minimal if you use it ;)

cheers

T
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iphitus wrote:
Just....update......

Dont say that you dont want to upgrade a good working system, because it isnt. It is broken.

Dont say that it's not unstable or CVS or anything, because thats exactly what Ricer4 is, especially older versions.

it's not difficult to set aside five or ten minutes to set a newer kernel compile off.

OMG more ricist bullshit remarks.

Garbage! my system works fine and I have untangled the mess gentoo devs made screwing around with 1.0.4 ebuilds and then deleting them because they could not me bothered to straighgten out that mess.

R4 1.0.4 was marked as stable on just about all platforms 3 months ago , hardly old.

Yes I can easily set up a newer kernel , but to judge by the length and content of the support threads I can expect quite some work before I have a system as stable as what I have now.

That is not in my todo list just now. I do like use my computer as well as maintain it. :roll:

@ Tiger.

Thanks, that's what I intend do for the time being . It's a shame Reiser4 seems to have created another compatability break.

Maybe there's just not enough doc with it , I would be very surprised if it cant be done.

If anyone's interested you need to grab the 1.0.4 revision 1.4 of the ebuild of gentoo CVS

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: