Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[HOWTO] get text previews working in nautilus (2.4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razamatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: [HOWTO] get text previews working in nautilus (2.4) Reply with quote

for the longest time, i couldn't stand the fact that i was seeing screencaps of gnome desktops sporting text previews in nautilus... so i went off and did research.

the fix is pretty straightforward.

first, make sure your gnome setup can actually do text previews by enabling it in nautilus's preferences, and check that you have gedit installed, too. from here, check that you can do text previews by switching your icon theme from whatever you're using to the default "gnome" icon theme. when you switch to the "gnome" icon set, you should see the text previews in the icons. if you don't get this working, then there's some other problem beyond the scope of this howto. if you're in this unfortunate situation, try re-emerging gedit and/or nautilus.

the icon theme that you use, as it turns out, is the main culprit of why text previewing isn't working. the big nugget that i found was from freedesktop.org's description of *.icon files which gnome uses (ref). the themes that have text previews working with them (like gnome) have a gnome-fs-regular.icon file in the filesystems/ branch of the iconset.

in order for text previews to work, you need to have this gnome-fs-regular.icon file!

i actually use a modified nuvola svg icon set from the gnome-themes-extra package. i used the information from freedesktop.org specification to construct my gnome-fs-regular.icon file. this file should be placed in the directory where the gnome-fs-regular icon is. if you're using a non-svg iconset, you'll have to specify a gnome-fs-regular.icon file for every path that has a gnome-fs-regular icon.

here's the cat of the gnome-fs-regular.icon file (omit the prompt line):
Code:
[Icon Data]
EmbeddedTextRectangle=200,120,800,850
AttachPoints=160,700|800,700|800,80|160,80

the main thing is the EmbeddedTextRectangle specification. Use the reference to learn all about what the numbers mean. again, i have a svg icon set, so the numbers i specify will range from 0 to 1000, and will be scaled off of this.

to fit your given icon theme, you just need to play around with these numbers. while fitting the numbers for your given gnome-fs-regular icon, it's handy to keep your theme details dialog open so you can switch off to a different theme and back to your intended theme to quickly apply the changes to your gnome-fs-regular.icon file(s).

hope this helps a lot of you out there. :D
verbatim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... but.. doesn't it work automatically out of the box?

Mine did, and I didn't setup anything...
razamatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does work "out of the box" if you use a icon theme that has these gnome-fs-regular.icon files correctly setup.

however, if you use a new theme where the themer hasn't gotten around to it, you can hurry the process up. :)
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great "hack"! Thanks for the tip! I was wondering why this wasn't working for other themes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: