Firefox-QT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antares2001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Firefox-QT Reply with quote

Hello!

I have read about sth. called a QT-Firefox and would like to ask if someone knows how to compile Firefox with "native" use of QT libraries instead of the GTK, so it should use less ressources.

Thank you in advance.
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of such a project. Where did you read that rumor? :)
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COiN3D wrote:
I've never heard of such a project. Where did you read that rumor? :)

Maybe he is referring to this.
antares2001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or simply enter firefox-qt in google. You will get lots of results, also for example:

http://www.pryan.org/mozilla/firefox/hendikins/firefox-qt/

So it seems there exists a QT Firefox, but I'd like to know if it is possible to install that on Gentoo and how.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested firfox Qt a while ago. But very little progress seems to be made the last months. It seems no-one is willing to stabilize the things that are achieved.
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working a while ago on gentoo but its still really buggy.
bigmauler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope there is some more progress made in the future. Should be intresting.
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah defo with be interesting if it can manage to get the kind of intergration that Konqueror has
antares2001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd like to try this so far achieved.

Could you post a manual how to install it on gentoo, or is there somewhere an ebuild I can insert into portage-overlay?

Thx!
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox-QT, in my opinion, should become part of the official firefox release. Why only GTK ? We now have QT (4) GPL for Windows too...
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that even matter? Why using Qt on windows? Firefox isn't using GTK for windows either (It would never be that fast otherwise, GTK in windows sucks).
But the release of Qt4 could have caused the lack of interest on hacking Qt3 into firefox.

Months ago people were talking about gecko support in konqueror, but nobody is working on it right now.
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
Does that even matter? Why using Qt on windows? Firefox isn't using GTK for windows either (It would never be that fast otherwise, GTK in windows sucks).
But the release of Qt4 could have caused the lack of interest on hacking Qt3 into firefox.

Months ago people were talking about gecko support in konqueror, but nobody is working on it right now.

Lol the windows version of Firefox has native windows bindings and the Linux version is natively binded to GTK so thats why we want Firefox-Qt to be synced to the main code so it becomes released at the same time as the GTK version as it is now in sync with the Windows release
bmilde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think firefox-qt would be a good desicion, too
revenger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the new firefox (1.5 beta) can be built with qt libraries, just configure with --enable-default-toolkit=qt as mentioned here. but from what i've understood it's far from stable.

check this thread for ebuilds.
revenger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox-QT Reply with quote

antares2001 wrote:
compile Firefox with "native" use of QT libraries instead of the GTK, so it should use less ressources.

why should it use less resources with qt-libraries?
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox-QT Reply with quote

revenger wrote:
antares2001 wrote:
compile Firefox with "native" use of QT libraries instead of the GTK, so it should use less ressources.

why should it use less resources with qt-libraries?

because when you load a gtk application within KDE its loading a whole other toolkit that isn't native to KDE
QT is native to kde which means its already loaded for use with KDE hence it will be faster also QT has had Opengl extension for a long time now and GTK apps are only just catching up with Cairo.
Thats why it makes sense to use Gnome native applications within Gnome and QT native apps within KDE
because you don't load up an extra toolkit you just use existing resources.
It also looks better when everything is made to fit in with the desktop environment.
I mean you wouldn't want a macosx application to look like Gnome so us KDE users don't want it either :P
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a Gentoo supported package yet. Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news that Qt firefox is in mainline now. This will enable more people to look at the bugs that exsist and new patches will be smaller and less complicated to maintain.

I was looking for this in the Seamonkey source a few months ago, but didn't find anything. I thought it was dead again, but there is still hope.

Please, give KDE a native Gecko browser :idea:
revenger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox-QT Reply with quote

msimplay wrote:
because when you load a gtk application within KDE its loading a whole other toolkit that isn't native to KDE
QT is native to kde which means its already loaded for use with KDE hence it will be faster also QT has had Opengl extension for a long time now and GTK apps are only just catching up with Cairo.
Thats why it makes sense to use Gnome native applications within Gnome and QT native apps within KDE
It also looks better when everything is made to fit in with the desktop environment.
I mean you wouldn't want a macosx application to look like Gnome so us KDE users don't want it either :P

this is true for KDE users. i thought this was more a gtk vs. qt thingy :wink:. couldn't the whole look-and-feel thing just be achieved with theme engines? gtk-qt-engine perhaps?

theming GTK-apps without gnome is very easy, just edit a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file and you have it, without even running gnome-settings-daemon and stuff. while i never succeded to do the same with qt-apps!
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox-QT Reply with quote

revenger wrote:
msimplay wrote:

this is true for KDE users. i thought this was more a gtk vs. qt thingy :wink:. couldn't the whole look-and-feel thing just be achieved with theme engines? gtk-qt-engine perhaps?

theming GTK-apps without gnome is very easy, just edit a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file and you have it, without even running gnome-settings-daemon and stuff. while i never succeded to do the same with qt-apps!

Its not just about looks its about resources too also i do use qt-curve to make apps look a part of kde but Gnome apps still use GTK widgets either way the intergration is never quite complete.
I mean you seem adament to leave it gtk only but what if it was Qt based i'm sure Gnome users would be asking for a GTK2 port as they do with the GTK 1 apps
revenger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox-QT Reply with quote

msimplay wrote:
Its not just about looks its about resources too also i do use qt-curve to make apps look a part of kde but Gnome apps still use GTK widgets either way the intergration is never quite complete.
I mean you seem adament to leave it gtk only but what if it was Qt based i'm sure Gnome users would be asking for a GTK2 port as they do with the GTK 1 apps

as in my previous post i accept the whole resources argument. my point is that it's easier to get nice looking gtk-apps without gnome that it is with qt-apps without KDE. this makes gtk far more attractive for developers if they want to reach a wider audience.
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox-QT Reply with quote

revenger wrote:
msimplay wrote:

as in my previous post i accept the whole resources argument. my point is that it's easier to get nice looking gtk-apps without gnome that it is with qt-apps without KDE. this makes gtk far more attractive for developers if they want to reach a wider audience.

i see i most definitely agree kde apps under gnome do not fit a all however kde4's plasma layer looks promising for this kind of intergration
m0p
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Firefox for Qt3.4 a long time ago and it was really buggy, and I'd say it's unusable. Right clicking would just make it segfault, and it looked ugly too, fonts were messed up bad.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: