Gentoo Gentoo Gentoo and the GUI installer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w3l
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Gentoo Gentoo Gentoo and the GUI installer Reply with quote

Damn dudes why did you have to destroy gentoo. Gentoo was my favorite untill today that I tried the stinking installer that really sucks Gentoo is way better without "that installer". anyways the installer from my point of view it shouldn't be included until probably version 145.2 at least. but than again who amI.

Peace.
xPAGANx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Gentoo Gentoo and the GUI installer Reply with quote

w3l wrote:
Damn dudes why did you have to destroy gentoo. Gentoo was my favorite untill today that I tried the stinking installer that really sucks Gentoo is way better without "that installer". anyways the installer from my point of view it shouldn't be included until probably version 145.2 at least. but than again who amI.

Peace.

Lol they try to do people a favor for the fun of it all you gotta say is "Damn dudes why did you have to destroy gentoo." Well I guess you said a little more of the same, and poilished it off with the sweetest of endings... "Peace."

Wow... Quit wasting bandwidth...
asiB4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll:
Registered Linux User #332738

Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, don't use it then. What is Gentoo all about, ...... choice.
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really have to use the GUI installer to have gentoo on your computer. Also just because of one program, the installer, I don't think that the gentoo experience is ruined...just the installation part.
For those not knowing much about gentoo and reading this post, I recommend:
DO NOT USE THE GUI INSTALLER TO INSTALL GENTOO!!! USE THE HANDBOOK!!! MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!
rman77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you learn more with the handbook anywho, that will help later when the next problem starts :wink:
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
Not a support question, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Peach
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think a GUI is useful only to have the handbook already opened and a console on the same screen to do what you need following the handbook. This will throw away ppl who reads bad written install how-to on mags and who doesen't care of the handbook on first installs.
Any other GUI with "proceed" button or "accept defaults" has no meaning to me and surely to gentoo users.
bdm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
Ahhhh, don't use it then. What is Gentoo all about, ...... choice.
Aries-Belgium
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peach wrote:
I do think a GUI is useful only to have the handbook already opened and a console on the same screen to do what you need following the handbook. This will throw away ppl who reads bad written install how-to on mags and who doesen't care of the handbook on first installs.
Any other GUI with "proceed" button or "accept defaults" has no meaning to me and surely to gentoo users.

That's actually a good idea! Now I'm always browsing the manual on another pc and configuring over ssh. It would be great to have a gui browser available during installation :D
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aries-Belgium wrote:
That's actually a good idea! Now I'm always browsing the manual on another pc and configuring over ssh. It would be great to have a gui browser available during installation :D

Use the LiveCD to install, but drop to a console for the installation and switch back to the GUI for reading the handbook, asking installation questions on the forums, etc. It really is the best of both worlds. That's what I did the last couple of installs, and it's so much better than using elinks/links/lynx. :)
Peach
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
Aries-Belgium wrote:

Use the LiveCD to install, but drop to a console for the installation and switch back to the GUI for reading the handbook, asking installation questions on the forums, etc. It really is the best of both worlds. That's what I did the last couple of installs, and it's so much better than using elinks/links/lynx. :)

that's right, but if everything is already put togheter and you neither need to switch from console to console that would be great.
Maybe having an option if you have the internet connection to open directly a tab on the forums... that would be a nice trick! :D
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one destroyed anything.

You still have the choice to install Gentoo from a Gentoo CD, from Conrad's CD, from an RR4 CD, from a Knoppix CD, etc.

Gentoo allows for more installation options than any distro I know really. (I haven't tried LFS)
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
Aries-Belgium wrote:

No need to keep switching between the console and the GUI, just open up a gnome-terminal or three...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: