Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Modular X server bugs, annoyances and solutions (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellfire7 wrote:
taipan67 wrote:

To get round this, you could try emerging xkbdata first, so it's already on your system when the server is emerged - that way, it'll re-emerge it rather than the other package.

I have already tried it but it depends on libX11 and as i`ve posted above i can`t get it to emerge...

As i said before, i'm still boning up on the theory of this install, but here are two more ideas...

1. Emerge xorg-x11 && unmerge xkeyboard-config && emerge xkbdata.

2. Omit xkeyboard-config from /etc/portage/package.unmask before the first 'emerge xorg-x11' - if that works, it will have to have pulled in xkbdata earlier, so it will no longer be necessary after that first meta-package. :?

I'm only up to page 13 (Dec 1st '05) of the thread so far, & i'm yet to learn why this package is preferred to xkeyboard-config in the wiki (i'd only read spyderous' guide, previously) - maybe the wiki-sequence was arrived at earlier in the development-process & xkbdata is no longer necessary... 8O
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoschi wrote:

Hi Merlin, could it be possible that we search the problem at the totally wrong place?
As you said, Xfce (GTK/GDM) and KDE (QT/KDM) react different on the new X11.

I will try it only with twm and post the result here. Maybe the react on a different why on xkbdata und xkeyboard-config :?:

I still believe the problem lies somewhere within modular Xorg as I didn't have the problem before and I used a custom ebuild of the same version of Xorg (just monolithic).

And even with KDE the error is still there as it shows some errors that are related in the kdm.log
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taipan67 wrote:
Omit xkeyboard-config from /etc/portage/package.unmask before the first 'emerge xorg-x11' - if that works, it will have to have pulled in xkbdata earlier, so it will no longer be necessary after that first meta-package. :?

Jeez, just stick with the monolithic xorg-6.9 that's in portage (or the experimental one) for the next 6 months, you'll waste far less time that way :wink: :evil:

I just tried xkeyboard-config (which is supposedly now preferred over xkbdata), and it prevents Alt-Ctrl-F1 from working, after changing almost 100 config files through dispatch-conf. So install xkbdata instead, if you're competent about continuing with the modular X installation.

"Competent" does not mean repeatedly filling the screen with piles of compilation garbage which could be completely avoided by compiling things in the right order (as portage would do if you let it), or knowing the difference between an error message and a waste of space :evil:
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
...I just tried xkeyboard-config (which is supposedly now preferred over xkbdata), and it prevents Alt-Ctrl-F1 from working...

Did you file a bug-report? 8O

So it would seem that as of this moment, for people religiously following their preferred guide, those using the Gentoo-guide won't have CTL-ALT-F1, & those using the WIKI won't have anything, because of 'blocking'. :twisted:

Do you fancy updating the WIKI so it works..? :roll:
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats right! Xkeyboard-Config coulnd't switch the VTs. But the interesting part is, die functionkeys in Gnome itself are working, try Alt+F1 -> Menu
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin-TC wrote:
hoschi wrote:

Hi Merlin, could it be possible that we search the problem at the totally wrong place?
As you said, Xfce (GTK/GDM) and KDE (QT/KDM) react different on the new X11.

I will try it only with twm and post the result here. Maybe the react on a different why on xkbdata und xkeyboard-config :?:

I still believe the problem lies somewhere within modular Xorg as I didn't have the problem before and I used a custom ebuild of the same version of Xorg (just monolithic).

And even with KDE the error is still there as it shows some errors that are related in the kdm.log

I am afraid you are right.
hellfire7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Jeez, just stick with the monolithic xorg-6.9 that's in portage (or the experimental one) for the next 6 months, you'll waste far less time that way :wink: :evil:

I just tried xkeyboard-config (which is supposedly now preferred over xkbdata), and it prevents Alt-Ctrl-F1 from working, after changing almost 100 config files through dispatch-conf. So install xkbdata instead, if you're competent about continuing with the modular X installation.

"Competent" does not mean repeatedly filling the screen with piles of compilation garbage which could be completely avoided by compiling things in the right order (as portage would do if you let it), or knowing the difference between an error message and a waste of space

Again i`m sorry for the long posts. I supposed the important error message was
Quote:

configure:23163: checking keysymdef.h
configure:23182: error: Cannot find keysymdef.h

but then again i do not consider myself profesionalist and i did not want to miss something. So just in case i posted the whole config.log. The interesting thing is that i did not get this error message before.
Quote:
checking keysymdef.h... /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h

And when i checked in /usr/include/X11/ there was indeed a file called keysymdef.h. I tried again this HOWTO - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml. Again i got the same result. I followed the howto step by step. I emerged gentoolkit and a package of xorg as suggested, then unmerged xorg, then unmasket the required packages+those suggested for users runnig stable and then after i had done what was suggested in steps 2.4 and 2.5 i tried to emerge the modular xorg (# emerge xorg-x11). I had to emerge about 94 packages(i`m not certain about the exact number but it was something like this) and the first package that portage tried to emerge was libX11. And then i got that error message.[/url][/quote]
mvibe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin-TC wrote:

Agreed ... At least its true on my P3 Gentoo Laptop. Maybe its a combination of hardware, architecture, and code stability

(duuuH way to narrow it now vibe!!)

I still get mad errors before the merge crashes, usually due to not having xkbcomp in place, then the xkbcomp emerge crashes as soon as the 'make' process starts, it happens real fast with LOTS of errors before the process finally errors out.

My work will be upgrading me to a P4 Laptop soon so I reckon I'll try again then ...

On the lighter side, xorg-x11 modular works great on my P4 Gentoo Box at home, even though xgl doesn't quite work yet.

J
karafeka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: fullscreen Reply with quote

I have problem with fullscreen applicatons (like xdosemu and dosbox games).

I'm running X with 1024x768 resolution and when I try to fullscreen xdosemu i get 640x480 window in middle of 1024x768 screen and the rest is black. I have two modlines in xorg.xonf for 1024x768 and 640x480 resolutions.

I had fullscreen with xorg 6.8.99 and i'm using the same xorg.conf now with modular version. Only difference is with drivers. Before I was using fglrx and now radeon driver.

Has anybody experience the same? Is there solution for that?

------

EDIT: I guess that this is problem only with radeon open source drivers, with fglrx is working normal (also with xorg 7.0)

Last edited by karafeka on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taipan67 wrote:
Did you file a bug-report? 8O

Evidence is still being collected.
Quote:
So it would seem that as of this moment, for people religiously following their preferred guide, those using the Gentoo-guide won't have CTL-ALT-F1, & those using the WIKI won't have anything, because of 'blocking'. :twisted:

The wiki, with the howto, did work when I installed xorg-x11-7.0.0_rc3-r1 in Dec-2005, although there were teething problems - hence the size of this thread :wink:

I'm not inclined to scrub xorg and reinstall, just to do someone else's debugging work for them 8O

It sounds like portage isn't installing the xorg packages in the right order, but if people can't take the hint of trying emerge --update --deep --newuse ... to see if that helps, then there's no way I'd like to deal with dozens of compilation errors caused by fairly obvious missing dependencies. The howto specifies >=sys-apps/portage-2.1_pre4

equery depgraph libX11 shows that libX11 depends on xproto, so it's up to the people actually experiencing the problem, to determine why xproto is not being installed first.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
taipan67 wrote:

The wiki, with the howto, did work when I installed xorg-x11-7.0.0_rc3-r1 in Dec-2005...

...Since which time, this new-fangled 'preference' has materialised, completely buggering up the WIKI's 'emerge' one-liner!

I asked if you fancied doing an update because i thought you might have hands-on experience of how to get 'xkbdata' to install against the current portage-tree, whereas i've just been theorising up to this point - i don't know if my ideas would work.

Whether the problem with 'xkeyboard-config' gets fixed or not, the one-liner is incorrect - either 'xkbdata' should be omitted, or it's installation should be explained in a way that overcomes our current predicament... :(

My own build will be done on a fresh system-install - i run parallel installations on separate partitions, so i'll have 6.8.2 to use as a reference. It'd be nice to know which is the package/method of choice before i start, though. :roll:
daff
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure this is the correct thread for my problem:

I want to emerge -upvD world after I emerged --sync just a few minutes ago, but emerge tells me that x11-libs/libX11-1.0.0-r1 is a required dependency for sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4-r1. I find this highly ridiculous, and I most certainly do not want to upgrade to modular X11 just yet. Tried it a few days ago but there seem to be problems, it completely freezes my Thinkpad T41p with a FireGL T2 -- the point is I don't want X.org 7.0.

It seems that, with the gtk USE flag set, gcc-3.4.4-r1 wants libX11-1.0.0-r1. Why does stable gcc-3.4 require the hard masked, unstable libX11?
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daff wrote:
It seems that, with the gtk USE flag set, gcc-3.4.4-r1 wants libX11-1.0.0-r1. Why does stable gcc-3.4 require the hard masked, unstable libX11?

The gtk USE-flag only pulls stuff in if you also set the gcj-flag. Did you want to build the java-compiler? If so, you'll have to re-mask all of the X11R7 stuff, or define 'virtual/x11' as a version-number you're happy with... :roll:

Last edited by taipan67 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daff wrote:
It seems that, with the gtk USE flag set, gcc-3.4.4-r1 wants libX11-1.0.0-r1.

Look at the ebuild:
Code:
gtk? (
        || ( ( x11-libs/libXt x11-libs/libX11 x11-libs/libXtst x11-proto/xproto x11-proto/xextproto ) virtual/x11 )
        >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.2

Fix your package.* files to provide virtual/x11.

In /usr/portage/virtual/x11/x11-6.8.ebuild
Code:
RDEPEND="<=x11-base/xorg-x11-6.99"

So, emerge xorg-x11. You may have left an xorg entry in /etc/portage/profile/virtuals
daff
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies!

I am not sure I understand it right. I always used xorg-x11-6.8.2 and never anything else. After following the migration guide and then deciding I didn't want X.org 7.0 yet I unmerged it, removed all the modular X packages from /etc/portage/package.* and reemerged xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6. Wasn't that the right way to revert back to X.org 6.2?

Also, I am not sure how to define any of that virtual stuff you and many others are talking about. Where can I read up on that? Or, more precise: what do I need to put into which of the files in /etc/portage? I don't even have an /etc/portage/profiles directory. Being a little confused here :)
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daff wrote:
After following the migration guide and then deciding I didn't want X.org 7.0 yet I unmerged it, removed all the modular X packages from /etc/portage/package.* and reemerged xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6.

You should unmerge all the modular X packages that you emerged (use genlop -l to see what they were).

Then use this to see if portage is happy with your xorg decision:
Code:
emerge --pretend -t --verbose --update --newuse --deep world

(You'll see dozens of red "xorg is blocking..." lines if portage is still confused.)

Then run equery check xorg-x11, and re-emerge xorg-x11 if any files are missing/changed.

Quote:
Also, I am not sure how to define any of that virtual stuff you and many others are talking about.

If you haven't changed /etc/portage/profile/virtuals, then there's nothing to change back.

Edit: Added "equery check".

Last edited by PaulBredbury on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
abcdeef
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg doesnt start;
errormasg:

syntax error:line 1 of pc
the xkeyboard keymp compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>error: error interpreting include file "pc"
> exiting
> abandoning symbols file "default"

my xorg.conf:
Code:

#Section "Extensions"
#    Option "Composite" "Enable"
#EndSection

Section "dri"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection
    Load        "freetype"
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set

Section "Files"
    RgbPath     "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
#    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
#    ModulePath "/usr/lib/modules"

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"

Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "ca(de)"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Auto" # Auto detect
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor0"
    HorizSync   60-110
    VertRefresh 100
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Driver                              "fglrx"
# ### generic DRI settings ###
# === disable PnP Monitor  ===
    ##Option                              "NoDDC"
    # === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
    Option "no_accel"                   "no"
    Option "no_dri"                     "no"
# === misc DRI settings ===
    Option "mtrr"                       "off" # disable DRI mtrr mapper, driver has its own code for mtrr
# ### FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ###
# === Screen Management ===
    Option "DesktopSetup"               "(null)"
    Option "HSync2"                     "unspecified"
    Option "VRefresh2"                  "unspecified"
    Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x06419064"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00b0280b"
# === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
    Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000000"
    Option "CapabilitiesEx"             "0x00000000"
# === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
    Option "VideoOverlay"               "yes"
# === OpenGL Overlay ===
# Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay
#       will be disabled automatically
    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
# === Center Mode (Laptops only) ===
    Option "CenterMode"                 "off"
 # === Pseudo Color Visuals (8-bit visuals) ===
    Option "PseudoColorVisuals"         "off"
# === QBS Management ===
    Option "Stereo"                     "off"
    Option "StereoSyncEnable"           "1"
# === FSAA Management ===
    Option "FSAAEnable"                 "off"
    Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"
    Option "FSAADisableGamma"           "no"
    Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"         "no"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"
# === Misc Options ===
    Option "UseFastTLS"                 "0"
    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"         "on"
    Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "no"
    Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=4a4a
    Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen0"
    Device      "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Monitor     "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "backingstore"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0  # initial origin if mode is smaller than desktop
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"
    Screen "Screen 0"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Option "Protocol"  "auto" 

for the mouse, try something else , i've heard the protocol auto doesn't work well with X.org 7 (eg: you can try Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2" )

Last edited by truc on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taipan67 wrote:
daff wrote:

The gtk USE-flag only pulls stuff in if you also set the gcj-flag. Did you want to build the java-compiler? If so, you'll have to re-mask all of the X11R7 stuff, or define 'virtual/x11' as a version-number you're happy with... :roll:

Sorry, daff, it was 2am when i wrote that, & i overlooked another possibility...

If you're still working on this issue, & you do want to build gcc's java-component, but you can live without it's graphical front-end, you could simply add this line to /etc/portage/package.use :-
Code:
sys-devel/gcc -gtk

...That would stop all the X-stuff from getting dragged in, i believe... :?
hiziki_gard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is due to modular X or not but ever since I upgraded to it yesterday GNU screen has been exhibiting some strange behaviors.

There seems to be a general lag in the Re-attachment, Detachment and switching screens processes. I am wondering if anyone else here also has this problem.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel like searching this long thread, so has anyone had issues switching back to X from console?

When I switch to console while in X (ctrl + alt + fX), and then try to go back to X via ctrl + alt + f7 my computer hardlocks.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
# Module section -- this  section  is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
#
Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load        "dbe"     # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

# This loads the font modules
#    Load        "type1"
#    Load        "speedo"
    Load        "freetype"
#    Load        "xtt"

# This loads the GLX module
    Load       "glx"
EndSection

# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

#    RgbPath   "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)
#
#

FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/freefont"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/sharefonts"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/terminus"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/unifont"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/artwiz"
#   FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/local"

# The module search path.  The default path is shown here.

#    ModulePath "/usr/lib/modules"

EndSection

# Core keyboard's InputDevice section

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier   "Keyboard1"
    Driver   "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout"   "us"

EndSection

# Core Pointer's InputDevice section

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver
    Identifier   "Mouse1"
    Driver   "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"   # IntelliMouse PS/2
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
    Option "Buttons"     "5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "Mouse2"
   Driver      "evdev"
   Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mx1000"
EndSection

# Monitor section

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "Samsung"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 79.0
    VertRefresh 50-90

EndSection

# Graphics device section

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Nvidia"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    Option   "NoLogo" "true"
    Option   "RenderAccel" "True"
    Option      "backingstore" "true"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
EndSection

# Screen sections

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "Nvidia"
    Monitor     "Samsung"
    DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"
    Screen "Screen 1"
#    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Mouse2" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Running ~x86, and yes I do have the latest packages, and all of modular xorg unmasked.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247, isn't console -> desktop just 'ALT-F7' without 'CTL'? :?
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well even just alt + f7 still hardlocks the computer. (They both work, I am just used to switching to console so I forget I don't need ctrl)
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
...I am just used to switching to console so I forget I don't need ctrl...

I'm just used to switching between consoles - i didn't know about 'CTL-ALT-F1' before reading this thread. :oops:

No idea about the lockup, i'm afraid - i'm still reading-up before i start my build (page 33, nearly there...) :roll:
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection

Try commenting out that option.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 35 of 37

Jump to: