baselayout-1.12.0_pre7 can't assign local network addresses
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spicerun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: baselayout-1.12.0_pre7 can't assign local network addresses Reply with quote

I emerged baselayout-1.12.0_pre7 last night, and my system has a hard time booting. It is trying to assign 127.0.0.1 for the localhost address and fails, sitting for a long time in a loop. After 2 mins I can hit ctrl-C and get the boot to continue, but there is no lo address assigned. I can start up my wireless adapter and have an eth1 ip address assigned, but if I try to start samba, samba fails with no local loopback ip address. A series of messages come up at the time of trying to activate the lo device (a bunch of SIOCXXXX messages which I can't reproduce now exactly because they aren't in front of me on my working machine right now), but the ending message is initially can't find file, and the rest of them are can't assign address.

Another notable is that at the end of the baselayout emerge, etc-update is apparently unaware of any config files that might need to be changed, and tells me nothing needs to be done, which, in my experience, is unusual after a baselayout emerge.

To get my machine back & running, I have had to revert back to baselayout-1.11.13-r1 which thankfully was still on my harddrive.

This seems to be a trend with the new baselayouts, previously the eth1 devices were failing to be brought up on boot after the previous emerges (Fortunately I could start the network services by hand), but it appeared to be solved in the last 2 baselayout updates I've gotten (and, yes, I did notice that within a couple of days, baselayout would be downgraded again when the ethx problem existed). Now, I guess the work is on the lo network device. Unfortunately no lo is crippling to my system. I mention this because I am surprised nobody else has mentioned the minor network problems on these forums.....unless people think it is problems with services like samba, not realizing it is really something in the networking setup being affected.

I hope you guys get this worked out. Thanks.
robinhood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed in baselayout-1.12.0_pre7-r1
razorback
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<fixed in baselayout-1.12.0_pre7-r1>

It's not fixed on my ~amd64 box. Booting still does not bring lo up.
Had to revert to 1.11.13-r1.
MerlinTheWizard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. I was not sure whether it was due to the baselayout upgrade or the upgrade to kernel 2.6.13...
Bollie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Found the answer.... Reply with quote

For me, the following worked:

Quote:
After looking through the init scripts I think I finally got rid of this
read-only issue with /var/lib/init.d during boot by
changing /etc/conf.d/rc to

Code:

# Should we mount $svcdir as a tmpfs or ramfs for some speed
# increase for slower machines, or for the more extreme setups ?

svcmount="yes"

It used to say "no" before.

It's from https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-180162.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: