Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
My Heroic Battle with Gentoo- Don't Give Up!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: My Heroic Battle with Gentoo- Don't Give Up! Reply with quote

Just like to share my heroic battle with my asus z71v laptop. I'm on my 4th livecd install.

I have gone throgh kde, gnome, enlightenment, normal kernel, suspend kernel. I have finally almost memorized my entire hardware configuration. I have accidently deledted all my backups. I have failed at getting suspend2 to work. But the moral in the story, is don't give up linux. If you haven't failed enough, how are you going to learn. They say gentoo is the hardest to install, (which it's not). I found it harder to deal with Mandrake, simply becuase I had no clue about what was set or what wasn't. When you load gentoo, you know what you got, and what your running. So, keep on treking, and hopefully I can make it stable enough to run for the 4 years of college...

On a side note....is it a good idea to run enlightenment "ontop" of gnome? I tried enlightenment 16.9999... this last time, loved the gui but hated the binary configuration. So...yeah.....Go GENTOO. Don't give up!Never surrender! Lol
denstark
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with your moral of the story. A friend told me that you never learn anything until you get your ass kicked. And that one statement is so very, very true.

Keep at it, and you know that the forums are here to help :)

As for running E ontop of gnome, I'm not sure since E isn't just a window manager. I know you can replace metacity with say openbox, but then again ob is just a window manager. You may find better luck in the #e irc channel on freenode.

Good luck ;-)
rokstar> sure they do, you tried their coffee?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: