Problem in Samba installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kombatant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Problem in Samba installation Reply with quote

This is my first post, I have been working with Gentoo for the past week and this distro is a definite keeper :) I have this problem though... I cannot emerge any version of Samba. Here is the error it produces :

Quote:

Compiling smbwrapper/smbsh.c
Compiling smbwrapper/shared.c
Linking bin/smbsh
Compiling smbwrapper/smbw.c with -fPIC
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1523: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1523: parse error before '.' token
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1525: parse error before '.' token
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1527: parse error before '.' token
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1531: parse error before '}' token
smbwrapper/smbw.c: In function `xstat_convert':
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1548: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1549: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1550: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1551: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1552: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1553: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1554: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1555: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1556: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1557: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1558: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1559: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
smbwrapper/smbw.c:1560: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make: *** [smbwrapper/smbw.po] Error 1

!!! ERROR: net-fs/samba-2.2.8_pre1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 121, Exitcode 2
!!! samba compile problem

Any ideas on how to make it install? All deps seem to be in order...Anyone else that had the same problem? Here's my configuration :

AthlonXP 1600+ / Abit NF7-S
2x256 MB Corsair XMS3500
Crucial Radeon 9700 Pro (8.004 bios) / Catalyst 3.1
Q-Tec 550W PSU
WD1200JB HD / Quantum AS 40GB HD
Toshiba SD-M1612 48x DVD
Yamaha 2100s CDRW / Adaptec 2940U SCSI controller
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you post your USE and CFLAGS flags from /etc/make.conf?

and wich kernel are you using?

cheers

SteveB
Kombatant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
could you post your USE and CFLAGS flags from /etc/make.conf?

and wich kernel are you using?

cheers

SteveB

Sure :) I have CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=athlon-xp -march=athlon-xp -pipe -mmmx -msse -m3dnow " and USE="dvd gtk2 samba sse". As for the kernel, I have a plain-vanilla 2.4.21pre4 (SiI3112 and nforce2 goodness on the same package :) )
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm having the same problems with a P3 box I'm setting pu just now, but samba update compiled OK on my own machine (athlon xp) a couple of nights ago.

Tried compiling with -march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe , as well as -march=i686 -O2 -pipe, fails with the same error.

USE flags are "cups qt kde tiff dvd -gnome"

Are you using the ~x86 keyword? I noticed that it upgraded glibc to 2.3.2pre yesterday, maybe this is the problem. I'm going to try back-grading to 2.3.1r3 (which is what was installed on my athlon box when it compiled samba OK) and see what happens.
Kombatant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
Hmm, I'm having the same problems with a P3 box I'm setting pu just now, but samba update compiled OK on my own machine (athlon xp) a couple of nights ago.

Tried compiling with -march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe , as well as -march=i686 -O2 -pipe, fails with the same error.

Are you using the ~x86 keyword? I noticed that it upgraded glibc to 2.3.2pre yesterday, maybe this is the problem. I'm going to try back-grading to 2.3.1r3 (which is what was installed on my athlon box when it compiled samba OK) and see what happens.

Since nothing else works, I might as well try your advice...I deactivated "~86" and I am emerging the whole world :) Will post again to tell you if it fixed it.
Kombatant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kombatant wrote:
agent_jdh wrote:

Since nothing else works, I might as well try your advice...I deactivated "~86" and I am emerging the whole world :) Will post again to tell you if it fixed it.

I am still trying to put everything back together. It seems that I activated "~x86" at some time and then forgot to deactivate it, which filled my installation with betas, so problems were bound to rise. I am emerging for 7 hours now, and I will probably reemerge the whole of kde since qt refuses to install now. Oh well, at least I know it will eventually get better :/
HiredGun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

hey, I got the same problem. . . how do you deactivate "~x86" ?? not sure what you guys are talking about?? Is that in the make.conf? Thanks
Kombatant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: same problem Reply with quote

HiredGun wrote:
hey, I got the same problem. . . how do you deactivate "~x86" ?? not sure what you guys are talking about?? Is that in the make.conf? Thanks

Yes, just enter ACCEPT_KEYWORD="" in make.conf.. after I did all that it fixed it for me. I am in the process of recompiling everything still, but the problematic ebuilds are already compiled, so this will fix it for you, if you can stand the looooooooooooong rebuilding times
HiredGun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Alright, cool!! Thanks for the help. .. One more question, just so I understand what's going on. Why do I have to recompile everything instead of just the problem package? Also, what is that ACCEPT KEYWORD option telling linux? Why would that let this package install? Bug or misconfigured by me? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just trying to understand what's going on, rather than just typing in fixes like a monkey, with no idea what I'm actually doing. . .haha, thanks again in advance!
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I run into the exact same problem described in the first post to this thread, but do not intend to let go of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", can anyone offer a solution to the actual problem rather than circumventing it by a downgrade?
spbecker
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
Since I run into the exact same problem described in the first post to this thread, but do not intend to let go of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", can anyone offer a solution to the actual problem rather than circumventing it by a downgrade?

I've got the same problem and also have no intention of removing ~x86. I was actually wondering if it was a problem with the gentoo-sources kernel. I've seen various posts complaining about compile problems that fix themselves once vanilla-sources is used. Maybe I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I also had ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", and it tried to emerge samba beta (2.2.8_pre1). Disabling #ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" had emerge fetch 2.2.7 but I still get the same errors.. any suggestions?

Could my CFLAGS or USE have anything to say?:
Code:
USE="aalib acl acpi alsa dga directfb doc evo fbcon gb gd ggi gtkhtml imap innodb jikes lcms ldap maildir mysql nocardbus oav perl pic samba sasl slp snmp tcltk tiff usb xml"

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -mmmx -m3dnow -ffast-math -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -maccumulate-outgoing-args -falign-functions=4"
running on a Duron 600 with 256MB RAM

I'm about to leave for a meeting, and have changed my CFLAGS to "-march=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe" just to check.. compiles while I'm gone...
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget it. It's not kernel-related, I actually tried to compile it running a different kernel, before I finally was clever enough to pay a visit to the bugzilla database... There's a bug report here that explains it all, comment #7 leaves hope for medication in a not-too-distant future. :D
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
Forget it. It's not kernel-related, I actually tried to compile it running a different kernel, before I finally was clever enough to pay a visit to the bugzilla database... There's a bug report here that explains it all, comment #7 leaves hope for medication in a not-too-distant future. :D

Great :)
corporate_gadfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please take a look at bug 16321, comment #13.

In samba-2.2.8_pre1.ebuild, you have to delete the line
Code:
--with-smbwrapper
You have to change line
Code:
make all smbfilter smbwrapper smbcacls
to
Code:
make all smbfilter smbcacls
comment out line
Code:
doexe source/bin/smbwrapper.so
comment out line
Code:
dosym /usr/lib/smbwrapper.so /usr/bin/smbwrapper.so

Hopefully all of this will be in the portage tree soon. BTW, if you make your changes in your tree and do an "emerge rsync", you'll lose your changes unless you have a PORTDIR_OVERLAY line in /etc/make.conf pointing to an alternate place.
Kombatant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accept keyword flag gives the portage system an indication of what we want to install. If we set it to "x86" it means that we want only stable packages for the x86 platform. The '~' in front of the platform means that we want to include unstable/beta packages as well.

My system is pretty stable at the moment. The reason for all these recompiles on my part was because it had installed a different version of the C++ compiler, so I had some programs compiled with the beta version of the compiler, aka asking for trouble :) So I decided to downgrade and only install the latest of XFree86 because I have a radeon9700 and I need the support (due to lack of agpgart support for the nforce2 platform, I cannot use the ati drivers, unless someone is willing to share his knowledge with me :D)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: