My printer hates me
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ophidia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: My printer hates me Reply with quote

I have an HP PSC-2110 USB Printer/Scanner thing. It worked before (meaning before I borked and reinstalled Gentoo a week ago or so). Now it does not work.
Before I went with the stage 3 tarball, this time I went with the stage 2. Everything else works better-- everything-- but this will not work.
I'm using CUPS and the HPOJ-0.90 drivers, this time as last time. I configured it exactly the same as last time. I am using the Gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r1 kernel this time (I was using 2.4.19-r10 before) but I started with the 2.4.19-r10 this time too (didn't work then either).
I emerged the cups-gimp-print ebuild for the printer drivers. I do have the Gimp installed.
Before, I went through and it worked like a charm. I believe it is set up the same way as before, but this time it say "No Pages Found" in the CUPS web interface when I try to print a test page and the print job says "Aborted." I did install cups-gimp-print after I installed gimp, is that matters.

Also, the scanner does not work. Damn thing. I have Xsane installed with the sane backends and compiled hpoj after I compiled Xsane. It worked last time! Grrr.
THe only difference with the hardware this time is I am using the inboard USB ports, rather than the ones in the little pci-slot thingy that came with the motherboard (the metal piece that fits in the expansion card hole on the back of the case) as I got a new aluminum case with front USB ports (way for me to move into the late 90's).
It's a VIA chipset and I have the UHCI drivers compiled in (not modular but compiled straight in).

When I VI /proc/bus/usb/devices I see the printer and my USB mouse listed in there.

Dammit!!!
I love gentoo (I bought the hat and shirt, after all) but this is frustrating my simple little brain.

Any help would be GREAT.

:D

THanks
Chris
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same printer. :)
When you re-emerged everything, did you keep all your original cups config files? You will need to reconfigure those.
Also, which ppd file are you using for you cups config? I needed to generate my own for my printer to work right.
Also, I installed Hotplug, which made me have to redo cups again... :?
Things work great for me now.
ophidia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it all to work.
All I did was delete and set up the printer again logged into KDE as root... and typed scanimage hpoj at the command prompt. Now the scanner works too. Go figure.
Thanks tho
Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: