Gentoo equivalent of Yast2 or other hardware config programs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Gentoo equivalent of Yast2 or other hardware config programs Reply with quote

Having been able to setup Gentoo at home I am seriously deciding to install it on my work laptop, where I currently use SuSE.

Given how long it took Gentoo to install on my home machine, I can expect that it will take about 48 hours of install time to pull this off. I can do this over a weekend, but my 48 hour install time estimate is assuming that all of the hardware configuration goes off without a hitch. I don't think that anyone believes that this is a possibility. :? Since this is the sole computer that I use at work, I can't justify taking extra time to install Gentoo. So, I think that I will need some sort of hardware configuration package.

One of the main reasons that I am using SuSE on my work laptop is because of the ease of configuring hardware through YaST2. Does Gentoo have an equivalent to YaST2 or the various *drake programs for hardware configuration?
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LiveCD does have something like that (not very sophisticated, though), but I've never bothered with any of this because I could usually figure out the components easily enough.

Just a thought: Since you will compile a kernel anyway, why don't you just keep a record of your SuSE installation's lspci -vv, lsmod and the hardware aspects from XF86Config-4, and configure the Gentoo kernel accordingly? Chances are that things will just fall into place...
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could alsa make a new partition, or evms it...
then install gentoo, with all your configurations...if anything goes wrong, you still have your suse install
In fact, you can just use your suse until you have everything you want in your gentoo install. I did that with my Debian install, until everything was cool (I haven't removed that partition yet, though...i'm lazy)

Goodluck
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Distcc, I'm unsure weather it can be used to bootstrap ( i remember a hack for it somewhere on the forums) but it can be used to emerge system. Anyway, it will greatly cut down install time by using your desktops resources to help it compile. Leaving you more time to wrangle with your hardware :D
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll give them a try.

Now I just have to find a relatively free weekend to do this :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good way to cut down on the install time would be to compile binary packages with portage and then copy them over to a partition on your laptop that you are going to keep. I'm assuming of course that you are going to keep at least part of the information on your SuSE install like your personal files. If you have enough space then you could make all the packages that you expect to use with
Code:
emerge --buildpkg --emptytree
and then you could copy the actual packages over to your laptop before you start the install. That way, when you get to the part where you are emerging packages on your laptop you won't have to download or compile the ones that you pre-built with your other computer. The only thing that you have to do is make sure that your compiler flags are compatible between systems. It's sacrificing a little optimization for the sake of being able to get things going faster and you can always re-compile things later on to get them more optimized if you need to get an extra kick out of your system. You might want to read more about it in the man pages for portage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: