vmware-server-console error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afrodocter1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: vmware-server-console error Reply with quote

i am following the wiki howto on gentoo and vmware server, and i am getting following error.

Code:

vmware-server-console
/opt/vmware/server/console/lib/bin/vmware-server-console: /opt/vmware/server/console/lib/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
/opt/vmware/server/console/lib/bin/vmware-server-console: /opt/vmware/server/console/lib/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)

here are some relavent files, commands.

Code:

dong alex # cat /etc/xinetd.d/vmware-authd
# default: on
# description: The VMware remote access authentification daemon
service vmware-authd
{
    disable         = no
    port            = 902
    socket_type     = stream
    protocol        = tcp
    wait            = no
    user            = root
    server          = /opt/vmware/server/sbin/vmware-authd
    type            = unlisted
        only_from       = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.1
}

Code:

dong alex # /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
 * Stopping VMware services:                                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Virtual machine monitor                                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                                                            [ ok ]
 *   Virtual ethernet                                                                             [ ok ]
 * Stopping xinetd ...                                                                            [ ok ]
 * Starting xinetd ...                                                                            [ ok ]
 * Starting VMware services:                                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Virtual machine monitor                                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Virtual ethernet                                                                             [ ok ]
 *   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                                                            [ ok ]
 *   Starting VMware virtual machines...
afrodocter1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
wizard69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to log in to vmware as root? You need to. Is root in the vmware group

Code:
gpasswd -a root vmware

have you tried
Code:
revdep-rebuild

Edweirdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the ~x86 keyword and did an update this morning and now I have this same problem.

I am in the vmware group and you don't have to be root for it to work.

I performed a revdep-rebuild even though I knew it wouldn't make a difference. The libraries it is complaining about are in the vmware-server-console directory.
genstu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem [or very similar] I get the following output..

Code:
stuart@gen2stu ~ $ vmware
/opt/vmware/server/lib/bin/vmware: /opt/vmware/server/lib/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
/opt/vmware/server/lib/bin/vmware: /opt/vmware/server/lib/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/libstdc++.so.6)
/opt/vmware/server/lib/bin/vmware: /opt/vmware/server/lib/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
/opt/vmware/server/lib/bin/vmware: /opt/vmware/server/lib/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/libstdc++.so.6)

I am work from home on Thursdays and not had a problem with vmware-server till this week, I dont recall doing anything unusual in the week preceeding. Another side issue may be the use of emerge --depclean which I used the other day, it seemed to delete my kernel sources and caused other issues [there is an argument and bug formed elsewhere] but I am wondering if this problem may be related?

My gcc version is 4.2.3 btw
genstu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial solution is in this thread. I should search better

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-670796-highlight-opt+vmware+bin+vmware+opt+vmware+lib+libpng12+0+libpng12+0+information+required+libcairo+2.html
morbid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstu wrote:
I have the same problem [or very similar] I get the following output..

Code:
stuart@gen2stu ~ $ vmware

I am work from home on Thursdays and not had a problem with vmware-server till this week, I dont recall doing anything unusual in the week preceeding. Another side issue may be the use of emerge --depclean which I used the other day, it seemed to delete my kernel sources and caused other issues [there is an argument and bug formed elsewhere] but I am wondering if this problem may be related?

My gcc version is 4.2.3 btw

Dunno what the "proper" fix for this is, but here's a work around:
# cd /opt/vmware/server/console/lib/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
# cp libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.bak
# cp /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/libgcc_s.so.1 .
guruvan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with a number of packages after upgrades. I double checked the binutils/gcc configs, reset them, ran env-update && source /etc/profile, checked all was right, rebooted to be sure that the environment would be correct forevermore.

guruvan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: