Problem accessing the net from LiveCD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fadedstar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Problem accessing the net from LiveCD Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first experience ever installing and using Linux. I burnt the appropriate LiveCD for my needs and all I need to do is set up my internet connection (cable modem) so my brother can get a root from his place and entirely set up Linux for me.

I'm using an old ISA Ethernet card for my cable modem.

Here's the model : 3Com EtherLink III ISAPNP Ethernet Adapter (Generic 3C509b)

I already figured that once I get the root from the boot CD, i must load manually the ethernet card so I do this command :

# modprobe 3c509 (these are the drivers for my ethernet card)

After that, I just can't seem to be able to access the net. I tried the # net-setup eth0 command for automatic network configuration and it doesn't give me net access.

I also tried setting it manually with the # ifconfig $IFACE $IPNUM etc. with no success.

What should I do?

thanks for your help.

-david.
krt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adter you preform a modprobe, does the device show up?

i.e. does "ifconfig -a" show anything?

if not, what does "dmesg" say about finding it?
fadedstar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Well, I load the module with #modprobe and it seems fine. It says its a 10 bate T ethernet card on IRQ 12 with an alphanumeric address.

the # ifconfig -a will give me a paragraph for eth0 but there's no IP address assigned to it.

the # dmesg says the card was found.

I think I have a stronger problem than simply card compatibility or loading. After having no success with this ISA card, I added a D-LINK PCI card to my system and plug the modem into it. The card was automaticaly detetected so I typed # net-setup eth0 for an autodetection and then, the #i fconfig eth0 shows, again, no IP address assigned to my eth0.

Useless to say the # ping myself gives me a Network Unreachable message.

Someone quite experienced with Linux (far more than me) tried to help me via the phone and after 20 minutes, he just can't understand what is wrong since everything seems to be ok. Not to mention that on his Linux machine, he uses the exact same PCI card model than me with the same ISP cable modem provider !

Anyone heard of a weird case like mine where a rare problem or something occurs and know how to help me a bit? :)

thanks for your time..

d.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: