Epson c66 no print
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xichiro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Epson c66 no print Reply with quote

OK...It has been several hours now and this new Gentoo user have not been able to get this old C66 printer to work. The EPKOWA driver for this model refuses to compile. I have followed, I think, all the relevant instructions returning from the Search for: c66 and ppd. I have emerged CUPS, Foomatic and gimp-print. Trying to configure and CUPS would cry about unable to copy PPD file, even though the menu does have the C66 listed with: Epson Stylus C66 foomatic/gutenprint (en). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other way round this is to use Gutenprint
Code:
cups-genppd.5.0 -v escp2-c66
which will put the PPD in /usr/share/cups/model/gutenprint/5.0 where it can find it — if the gutenprint/5.0 subdirectory doesn't exist, you will have to create it and run the command again.

Have you emerge'd ghostscript-esp? CUPS won't work with any other.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
xichiro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx. Gutenprint finally worked.

But I ended up d/ling the entire driver package bz2 file from here...

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537

Did ./configure, make and make install. It took a while but finally CUPS had a much longer list of driver. The EPKOWA pips-sc65_66s-2-6-2 driver in rpm will install just fine in my laptop running SuSE and it is a better driver with sharper images when print.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can emerge media-gfx/gimp-print-5.0.0 with the "ppds" USE flag and it will then generate every PPD it can think of — a very long list which makes it hard to find the right one in the CUPS dropdown box.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
stephandale
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gutenprint worked for me too, for the Epson C66, but only on my laptop. When I attempted to make it on another older machine it hung when it hit the print.c file. Has anyone else had this problem? I've posted about it here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4007156.html#4007156
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in a reply to the other post, 5.1.0 doesn't appear to compile.

With
Code:
/etc/portage/package.keywords:<media-gfx/gimp-print-5.1.0
it is happy staying with 5.0.0
kneczaj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xichiro, do you have the same error??:
Code:
make[2]: Wej¶cie do katalogu `/home/kamil/drukarka/pips-sc65_66s-2.6.2/dtrfilter'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o dtrfilter  img.o pfpng.o main.o -ldl -lm ../lib/libdtr.a -lpthread -ldl
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o dtrfilter img.o pfpng.o main.o  -lm ../lib/libdtr.a -lpthread -ldl
../lib/libdtr.a(imgdetect_pips.o): In function `OutputMemAtBmp':
/home/ysd/branch/pips-devel/pips-closed/src/imgdetect_pips.cc:54: undefined reference to `__builtin_new'
/home/ysd/branch/pips-devel/pips-closed/src/imgdetect_pips.cc:106: undefined reference to `__builtin_delete'
/home/ysd/branch/pips-devel/pips-closed/src/imgdetect_pips.cc:106: undefined reference to `__rethrow'
../lib/libdtr.a(imgdetect.o): In function `FUNC006::~FUNC006(void)':
/home/ysd/branch/pips-devel/pips-closed/src/imgdetect.cc:128: undefined reference to `__builtin_delete'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [dtrfilter] B³±d 1
make[2]: Opuszczenie katalogu `/home/kamil/drukarka/pips-sc65_66s-2.6.2/dtrfilter'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] B³±d 1
make[1]: Opuszczenie katalogu `/home/kamil/drukarka/pips-sc65_66s-2.6.2'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] B³±d 2

I also have epson C66 printer. Under gentoo with gutenprint drivers it prints only ~3 pages per minute :/

hmm... I don't know what means
/home/ysd/branch/pips-devel/pips-closed/src/imgdetect_pips.cc:54: undefined reference to `__builtin_new'
because I haven't got /home/ysd directory. Maybe it's a key to solve this problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: