gentoo 1.4rc2 on a Toshiba Tecra 550CDT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hjlane3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: gentoo 1.4rc2 on a Toshiba Tecra 550CDT Reply with quote

Ok, I've been using Gentoo on my PC now for about a month, and I love it. It's by far my favorite distro I've used to date. I decided I'd scrap Slackware on my laptop (Toshiba Tecra 550CDT) for Gentoo. The install took a while, but I had no problems with it at all. It was clean and error free. I installed the bootloader (at this time it was grub) and configured it, everything seem right. Then i unmount and reboot....
The bootloader loads fine, then it starts to load gentoo... Then bam, the laptop reboots. At first i thought ok no biggy, I'll look at my grub settings maybe i did something wrong. but no everything was right, i even got some help from people on #gentoo irc.freenode.net to confirm this. Then i tried installing and using Lilo instead, same problem; the bootloader comes up, begins to load Gentoo, then reboots. I went through the entire install process 2 more times (with a p1 266mhz, that's a LONG ass time, even from a stage 3 install) and the same thing always occured. Because I was in desperate need of an OS and so put Slackware back on temporarly (too stuburn to put windows on), but I would GREATLY appreciate any input as too what the problem could be. Or, if anyone else with the same hardware has experienced this problem, a fix for it. Thanks in advanced.
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should check that you have the correct cpu selected in your kernel config, this is the only thing that has ever caused this to happen for me. The only other thing i can think of is that you might have some apm or acpi settings wrong that could make things go awry.

-ewen
hjlane3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for responding. When compiling the kernel my self I always enable Toshiba Laptop support in the kernel config, it never posed a problem to me before. But glancing at the kernel options now, I will try changing the Processor family from 386 to Pentium-MMX this time. I'm not quite sure that will do anything tho, its worth a try.
Oh and another thing, what should i have set for ACPI support? I have never minded this before, and haven't had anyproblems, but someone else I was talking mentioned something about its settings. I am not quite sure what they should be.
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i have always left them off b/c i haven't really had a need for them and I had heard they can cause problems. I always found that apm did the job for me. If nothing else works I would try disabling it completely just as a test and if it then works then try enabling options for it one by one (sorry, i know how long kernel compiles take on that computer!)

-ewen
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed gentoo on a 730CDT which is not much different. I used standard kernel-options, no acpi since not supported and toshiba laptop support.
I found during install I was not able to boot the installation kernel of Gentoo 1.4, because it complained about the PCI Bridge. Therefor I booted Gentoo 1.2 which worked fine and installed 1.4 with custom kernel -> runs great.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: