kernel 2.4.20
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knittel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: kernel 2.4.20 Reply with quote

Hi, I just wonder, why this kernel is considered to be hppa only - its not even masked experimental ?
Is there any reson besides the ext3 bug ?
grafty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: kernel 2.4.20 Reply with quote

knittel wrote:
Hi, I just wonder, why this kernel is considered to be hppa only - its not even masked experimental ?
Is there any reson besides the ext3 bug ?

Are you referring to the linux-headers package? You should not use a linux-headers version other than the one forced onto you in the /etc/make.profile/packages unless you have recompiled glibc with a different kernel.

If you installed Gentoo 1.4 and are using x86, the version in /etc/make.profile/packages is set to linux-headers-2.4.19 because that is the kernel that comes with the Gentoo Live CD, which is the kernel that was used to compile glibc.

If you recompile glibc with a newer kernel, you might want to (but don't have to) use a newer linux-headers (but not the package in portage).
knittel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was indeed referring to the linux-headers as I wanted to re-build system against it. However, when specifying =linux-headers-2.4.20 in packages gentoo refuses to build system. Having a look at the ebuild, it was marked "-x86", which implied a serious issue with it to me.

Just was not sure wether other bugs than the ext3 problem or showstoppers have occured.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: