View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: libnvidia-tls.so.1: cannot handle TLS data Reply with quote

Hello,
[Note: I don't know if this is the right forum for my question but if not, an admin may move it... ;)]

Because i wanted hardware rendering of my graphic card (a real old nvidia tnt 2) I took some gentoo-manuals and emerged nvidia-kernel && nvidia-glx. The module worked quite well, then i tried to start opengl-update to make openGL using the nvidia-module, but it failed because my X11 was too old.

After updating Xorg-X11 yesterday (it took 3 hours...) I tried to start opengl-update, but it failed like some other programs that seem to use openGL:

Quote:
$ glxinfo
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libnvidia-tls.so.1: cannot handle TLS data
$ xfv
xfv: error while loading shared libraries: libnvidia-tls.so.1: cannot handle TLS data
$ ...

I've googled around for hours and if've tried (almost ;)) everything I've found but this strange messsage still appears. Re-emerging of nvidia-kernel or nvidia-glx has no effect.

What's wrong?

thx for help,

Sven
people said there would be nothing else other than gentoo. I agreed, looking through my window. For many years, I've seen nothing. After smashing the window, my brain got free. Yeah, nowadays I live windowless.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you recently upgraded linux-headers without immediately afterwards recompiling glibc? If yes, re-emerge glibc ASAP. Never, ever switch linux-headers versions without also immediately re-emerging glibc.
Alternatively - are you running a glibc that supports NPTL? If no, try that.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
svenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: updating linux-headers/linux kernel Reply with quote

Hello moocha,

I recently update my (complete!) linux-kernel, and I always compile it on my own - no binary sources :)

Should I recompile glibc after compiling the kernel? Afaik I've never updatet glibc...

hm
people said there would be nothing else other than gentoo. I agreed, looking through my window. For many years, I've seen nothing. After smashing the window, my brain got free. Yeah, nowadays I live windowless.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said linux-headers. Is /usr/include/linux a symlink into /usr/src on your system? If yes, bad, bad, bad - never ever do that.
Please review what I asked - but if you have never re-emerged glibc and you have at least once upgraded linux-headers, it'd be time for a glibc re-emerge.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
svenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: ok - not rally Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
I said linux-headers. Is /usr/include/linux a symlink into /usr/src on your system? If yes, bad, bad, bad - never ever do that.

Ok, I've updatet these linux-headers to the kernel-version I use...

moocha wrote:
Please review what I asked - but if you have never re-emerged glibc and you have at least once upgraded linux-headers, it'd be time for a glibc re-emerge.

...and I've also updatet glibc (it took hours...)

Ok, the libs are working now, but the main problem isn't solved:

Quote:

$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

strange. I've even re-emerged nvidia-glx, but the program still says there would not be an extension called "glx". And it is right: GLX is not an extension:

Quote:
$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | egrep glx
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

What shall I do?

thx for help =)

Sven
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good. You need to configure the X server though. Did you add the glx module to the Module section in xorg.conf and *removed* the dri module? They conflict.
See the relevant section of the Gentoo Nvidia Guide on how to do that (but don't add the VideoRam line shown there, it's a silly idea since the driver can identify the amount of video RAM just fine on pretty much any board on the face of the planet).

svenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: yeah, of course :) Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
So far so good. You need to configure the X server though. Did you add the glx module to the Module section in xorg.conf and *removed* the dri module? They conflict.

Yes, I've done that very long ago :) - i've read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml.

Quote:
.... (but don't add the VideoRam line shown there, it's a silly idea since the driver can identify the amount of video RAM just fine on pretty much any board on the face of the planet).

ehhm... yeah, I've also added "VideoRam 32" (I think my card has 32mb or something like that). That's wrong? Ok, I'll remove this line, but I cannot imagine that this innocent line is the reason for the notice, the GLX-module would not be loaded.

thx,

sven
nbrinza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've encountered exactly the same problem, and my card is pretty old too -- a nVidia Vanta.

After I've emerged the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, configured xorg.conf, and made a couple of ol' style reboots, the graphics accelerator fired up, and I happily observed a two-fold increase of the glxgear FPS count. To ensure the victory, I run glxinfo - it worked at that time - and to my disappointment, direct rendering was not enabled, it read "no". It was due to the following:

Quote:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "800x600"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load GLX

I've re-emerged nvidia-glx, hoping to solve that, but after that glxinfo refused to work:
Quote:
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libnvidia-tls.so.1: cannot handle TLS data

I haven't recently touched the linux-headers or the glibc, and the /usr/include/linux is not a symlink pointing to the kernel sources.

What exactly causes the "cannot handle TLS data" problem?
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLS = Thread-Local Storage. Has to do with glibc's threading libraries - the old one (LinuxThreads) versus the new one (NPTL). Newer drivers tend to break backwards compatibility once in a while. Don't use new drivers for old cards - you'll gain nothing since they're optimized for new cards, and you'll run into problems such as these. I'm running 1.0.6111 on my GeForce4 MX440.

svenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello nbrinza,

yeah, I also have a really old card (TNT 2), and firstly glxinfo also worked, it said "direct rendering not enabled". After re-emerging xorg-x11, I got this error you got now ;).
Yesterday I remerged glibc && linux-headers, and now I don't get this error anymore, but it's still working - don't know why he doesn't like my glx-module...

Sven
bobpaul
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:

Ok, I'm having this same problem and the quote above confuses me.

What are linux-headers? I'm using suspend2-sources. Everything worked fine but I did a reinstall of gentoo to fix some other stuff and now I get the error origionally mentioned by svenk.

And now your telling me this is wrong too? What am I supposed to do instead?
Code:
bobpaul src # ls -l /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 25 Dec 21 03:32 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.14-suspend2-r7/

[Edit] Sorry, I misread. /usr/include/linux is not a symlink...
Problem since solved, I don't know exactly what I did...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: