Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Postinstall stuff: X.org, Clock, Gnome, Keyboard Layout etc.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rjpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Dec 2003
Posts: 94

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Postinstall stuff: X.org, Clock, Gnome, Keyboard Layout etc. Reply with quote

Hi,

I now just finalized my Stage-3 installation of Gentoo, and wheee it works, even with my IPW2100 wifi card, I'm so happy :)
BUT, I have a few things that I want to do. Please can you help me, with the listed stuff below?

Code:
1. My clock is everytime I boot my Gentoo set to: [UTC], I have set my zoneinfo to: Europe/Copenhagen, how do I do to make Gentoo set my clock to
localtime Euroe/Copenhagen?

2. Now I can manage to go on the internet using my m6n-wireless.sh script after I've booted into Gentoo and logged on, but how can I make this script to be run everytime Gentoo is booted, as one of the last scripts to startup?

3. I got Danish keyboard to work, but special characters like " Æ Ø Å " doesn't seem to work properly, how do I get these to work properly?

4. I want to install/emerge X.org from GRP/Packages CD, how do I do that? Just X.org, nothing like KDE or Gnome.

5. I want to install/emerge latest Gnome 2.10.x desktop overnight, how do I do that the easiest way? Not from GRP/Package CD, just emerge from source.

6. How do I do, when I've installed everything above, make my login "graphical" using GDM or KDM?

7. How do I install/emerge a cool nice boot screen (while booting Gentoo), like the one on Live-CD to my local installation?


That's all for now, I hope I'm not too noobie, I succeeded to install Gentoo so far :)

Cheers
Rasmus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 29 Aug 2002
Posts: 1345
Location: Mechelen, Belgium

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Postinstall stuff: X.org, Clock, Gnome, Keyboard Layout Reply with quote

Quote:
1. My clock is everytime I boot my Gentoo set to: [UTC], I have set my zoneinfo to: Europe/Copenhagen, how do I do to make Gentoo set my clock to
localtime Euroe/Copenhagen?


You need to set CLOCK="local" in /etc/conf.d/clock. Then, emerge ntp after which you can run ntpdate time-a.nist.gov to set your clock correctly (to the second).

Quote:

2. Now I can manage to go on the internet using my m6n-wireless.sh script after I've booted into Gentoo and logged on, but how can I make this script to be run everytime Gentoo is booted, as one of the last scripts to startup?


Why don't you use the Gentoo networking configuration in /etc/conf.d/net? There is an entire part in the Gentoo Handbook dedicated to this, including wireless stuff.

If you still want to run that script at boot-time, add it to /etc/conf.d/local.start, like so:

Code:

source /sbin/functions.sh

ebegin "Starting wireless settings"
sh /path/to/m6n-wireless.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
eend


Quote:

3. I got Danish keyboard to work, but special characters like " � � � " doesn't seem to work properly, how do I get these to work properly?


You should read the UTF-8 Guide.

Quote:

4. I want to install/emerge X.org from GRP/Packages CD, how do I do that? Just X.org, nothing like KDE or Gnome.


Follow the instructions in the 2005.0 handbook. If you didn't use the 2005.0 handbook in the first place, then you can't install the prebuilt packages - that only works with the stage3 networkless installation instructions.

Quote:

5. I want to install/emerge latest Gnome 2.10.x desktop overnight, how do I do that the easiest way? Not from GRP/Package CD, just emerge from source.


After installing the GRP, first update your Portage tree using emerge --sync, then update your system using emerge -uDN world. Then you can emerge gnome to install the full GNOME 2.10.1.

Quote:

6. How do I do, when I've installed everything above, make my login "graphical" using GDM or KDM?


See the GNOME Configuration Guide.

Quote:

7. How do I install/emerge a cool nice boot screen (while booting Gentoo), like the one on Live-CD to my local installation?


You should search this forum for posts concerning fbsplash and/or gensplash.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Dec 2003
Posts: 94

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply

When I login it says:

This is neptune.uknown_domain

How do I change the domain to nothing, I just want to use the hostname "neptune" and no domain??

Cheers
Rasmus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 10974
Location: the dutch mountains

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum