Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Using the Airport Extreme in Linux (via MOL)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both links for kismac are dead :-(

You need to follow the download link from the Kismac homepage http://kismac.binaervarianz.de/download.php then follow the instructions for Subversion Access.
Karnivore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the airport extreme to work on Gentoo. Does that mean you can run the card in monitor mode? so that you can use AirSnort?

Thanks
Sodki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card is not actually working on Gentoo, but on MacOSX. Gentoo can't acess the Airport Extreme directly.
Karnivore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so you cant use airsnort, bummer. On top of it I was told that USB modules dont work very well on Linux.
sanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: NDISwrapper? Reply with quote

Alright, I know we can't actually use NDISwrapper -- it's x86, and even if we embedded a bit of qemu in the kernel, it's still not easy and not fast.

But what about creating an NDISwrapper-like driver for Linux PPC which allows us to use the OS X drivers? If anything, it should be easier than Windows, because we have the Darwin source to start from.

I'm still learning this Mac, very slowly, so there's a lot of things I don't know about this. For one thing, where's the source I need? Also, where's the binary driver? And finally, is this feasable at all, or was it a stupid idea to begin with?
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble. If you're looking to code something, please help with the open driver effort that I linked to at the start of this howto.
sanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about drivers. I do know I paid for the computer, I also paid for OS X with it, and I frequently use (and enjoy) OS X, so I see no legal or ethical reason not to use the closed driver.

And NDISwrapper already exists, and I think it's a good thing to have. Yes, we could reverse-engineer every wireless card, and we will eventually, and it'll be a better solution, but for now, the people using NDISwrapper are glad to have any wireless at all. And I would be to, if I could make it work on my Mac.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my reasoning here is that we're only dealing with one device here, the Airport Extreme. It's not worth writing an NDIS wrapper type solution (windows has *lots* of potential devices) when there is already an open source driver in progress and a workaround available for now. You're more than welcome to try it though, don't let me stop you. :)
sanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see things like Steve Jobs throwing tantrums at manufacturers, I'll bet the next Airport will be entirely different. After all, it happened before -- we have Airport support, but not Airport Extreme, and I don't want to have to hold out on the latest equipment due to lack of Linux support. If I'm not bleeding-edge, it should be money at fault, not code.

What's stopping me is the fact that I'm discovering just how much I'd have to learn to do this. This isn't at all like some of my older hacks. The ATI drivers, for instance, didn't recognize my AGP 3.0 system (8x) as running in 3.0 (8x) mode, and this was when 2.4 (no AGP 3 support) was stable and the alternative was 2.5. I couldn't find a way to turn it into 2.0 (4x) mode in the BIOS, but I knew the driver supported AGP 8x, it was just detecting it wrong. So I went into what source code they made available, found the detection code, and commented it out, replacing it with a hardcoded 8x.

That was easy. This will be hard.
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid devices where the manufacturers do not release details to the open source community. Personally I think these manufacturers will loose out in the end.

It's like producing a car and not providing mechanics with a manual on how to maintain and trouble shoot the vehicles effective running. Sooner or later that car is not going to sell well for obvious reasons. Call it commercial suicide, the same goes for those who want to introduce DRM. Joe Public does not want that, they want some freedom, making sense of this and protecting your commercial market is the key IMHO.

I do not agree with Software Patents, I do not agree with DRM, but I do agree a commercial company has a right to be able to make a profit from its "intellectual property".
foulmouth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the patch distro specific? Or can I do this whole process on a different linux? I am actually willing enough to reformat and install gentoo just to get my wireless working, of course I would prefer not to go to such extreme measures.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically nothing about most Gentoo packages are distro specific, but to use it you'll just have to build it on your own. If you grab the ebuild, source and the patches from portage, you can build it on whatever linux you're running. I just can't really give you any support on how to go about doing that. :)
sanity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

echo6 wrote:
I try to avoid devices where the manufacturers do not release details to the open source community.

Indeed. However, when someone else is paying for most of a 17" Powerbook for school, I'll take it. And I was also under the (mistaken) assumption that most Mac hardware, if not all, would at least have an open source Darwin driver.

And I also tend to get devices that have good Linux support, regardless of whether it's open or closed. I like my nVidia card, and I think they are awesome for providing such good Linux and BSD support, even if it's not open source. IMHO, it's much more generous of a company to actively support a Linux driver than to simply release specs. Of course, it's far better when they do both -- my SysKonnect gigabit PCI-Express cards are powered by open-source drivers. I downloaded the source code directly from their website:

http://syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to turn on/off the Airport Xtreme via the command line in OSX? Is it possible to enable/disable connection sharing from the command line in OSX?

If it is then I thought I could write a small script to start mol then use ssh to enable/disable while powering up and powering down etc.
e-ipi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh clever.

I think someone upthread mentioned that the OS X ifconfig turned the Airport on and off. I don't know about sharing.
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ifconfig en1 up. The only problem is if the airport xtreme network is down then the tun interface is not complete, so starting up can not be automated, unless there's another way to get an interface configured between mol and Linux. Automating shutdown should work, should be able to generate ssh keys to allows commands to be passed without the need for a password prompt :-)
e-ipi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Internet sharing, there's /usr/libexec/InternetSharing. I'm not sure how it's used, and I haven't yet found any documentation.

/usr/libexec/InternetSharing SHARED_IF VIA_IF or the other way around. Or something else. Dunno.

People have set up scripts for connecting handhelds to the Internet over PPP via Macs with Bluetooth, which seems to be a similar task. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021103062212288.
foulmouth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having trouble getting myself up to wanting to go through this process. If I am not mistaken once I have gotten ae support in linux I can't update the driver at all for security updates. Is this a reasonable worry or can I just update the code again after I get the security update?
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-ipi wrote:
For Internet sharing, there's /usr/libexec/InternetSharing. I'm not sure how it's used, and I haven't yet found any documentation.

Thanks e-ipi, I'll take a look.
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulmouth wrote:
after I get the security update?
Performing an OSX update will update the patched driver that works with Linux.

Backup the patched driver
Perform the OSX update
Backup the updated driver
Restore the patched driver

That should work :-)
koem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: How to determine if I have pci flag set? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to get this running on debian. I got the mol-code by rsync today. But I don't know if the use pci flag is set. How can I set it when not using gentoo?

Or is the rsync-code not the code I need? startmol -X says I've got Version 0.9.71-pre1 running. If so, can somebody post a link to the needed mol code?

The selfcompiled mol works, the Driver is patched, everything works except that the Airport in the network-Window is red. The system profiler tells me that Airport has en1. An "ifconfig en1 up" results in "interface en1 does not exist".

I have: iBook G4, 12", 800MHz, OS X 10.3.9, AppleAirPort2 is v3.4.4 of 2005-04-11

koem
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I screwed my OS X installation a few days ago, gotta reinstall it either, so I thought about trying a pure Darwin... with portage of course! :D
(I moved my distfiles to my /data partition [HFS+] and could do the same with the portage tree, so both OS could use the same, right?)
I think could try the OS X closed source drivers with the darwin 'kernel' and boot Darwin in MOL.
no eye-candyish KisMAC, just kismet (if I can get it emerged ^^) but this will be interesting
and the OS in MOL would be less cpu-hungry I bet!

and I'm pretty sure the portage-on-macos guys are glad about every single one testing it ^^
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koem:

Gentoo's MOL is a heavily patched MOL rsync snapshot. Fetch the MOL ebuild and all of the patches mentioned in the ebuild and use the ebuild for build directions.

Cenrim:

That'll be cool if it works, good luck! :)
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t!
OK, nothing special, but after this whole **** with wrong md5sums and gzip-pretended .cdr, which gunzip won't gzip and my CDRW/DVD making strange noises after burning in raw mode and some errors during installation and crap it's pretty cool to get Darwin bootet in MOL at 1st try :D

to the 'business':
there is an device en1 but I'm not sure it's the AE-device...
of course, it's the only real device, darwin can access through MOL, so no en0 (ethernet) and fw0 (or whatever the firewire-dev is named)

I will set it 'up' and watch the current entry in /proc/pmu/battery_0, from pocking around with OS X in MOL I know the value goes ~200 up with active airport...

hmm... it's ~100
Darwin's en1 down:
Code:
$ cat /proc/pmu/battery_0                                       

flags      : 00000011
charge     : 4164
max_charge : 4281
current    : -1221   <--
voltage    : 12194
time rem.  : 12277

Darwin's en1 up:
Code:

$ cat /proc/pmu/battery_0                                       

flags      : 00000011
charge     : 4135
max_charge : 4281
current    : -1123   <--
voltage    : 12175
time rem.  : 13255

but you gotta remember, the device does nothing, it's just turned on!

and a pure, fresh darwin 8.01 idling inside of MOL needs less cpu than init ^^

about Darwin:
inside of MOL it boots pretty fast² (of course, no services startet!) and uses ~1.5GB of diskspace
I booted the CD and made a 'real' installation to the harddisk, not just inside of MOL to a image and it didn't anything evil to my yaboot, gentoo booted cleanly and I added an "darwin=/dev/hdaX" line to my yaboot.conf, so I can try to boot it

btw: WTF? it's midnight already?! 8O
I gotta go home and sleep and stand up early and learn and... argh.. *sigh*

good night guys!

²) iBook G4 1.2GHz, running at 600MHz with 96MB for MOL
koem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:
koem:

Gentoo's MOL is a heavily patched MOL rsync snapshot. Fetch the MOL ebuild and all of the patches mentioned in the ebuild and use the ebuild for build directions

If I knew how to fetch all this via debian I would have done it yet.

koem
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: