Ensoniq AudioPCI (es1371 driver) and multiple sound sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Ensoniq AudioPCI (es1371 driver) and multiple sound sources Reply with quote

Got a little prob... I can't use 2 sound devices at the same time! (or... sorta)

My card is working great and I CAN hear music from xmms AND play ANY game AT THE SAME TIME... to do that, I just get xmms to use OSS plugin with /dev/adsp (I'm using ALSA btw) and everything else just uses /dev/dsp. I was happy! I thought I had 2 functional sound devices to use anytime I wanted... I was wrong... Turns out I can't play and use Teamspeak at the same time (or any other prog that's NOT xmms), I tried making Teamspeak use /dev/adsp but then I can't hear or speak (when I check the TS log it says it cannot open the sound device), so I tried to get quake3 to use /dev/adsp but it just says that it cannot open the sound device... yet with xmms /dev/adsp works perfectly... WTF?????
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a software mixer like arts for your output. Or you could always get a soundcard that support hardware mixing.

I'm using the same sound device on one system with arts, everything works fine.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried... but it lags a bit... especially with games
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... I would just like to say... SCREW ALSA!!! I just did a kernel recompile with built-in OSS drivers for es1371 and I got a /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 ... and I can now play quake3 and use teamspeak at the same time! hurray!
grazer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uranus wrote:
I just did a kernel recompile with built-in OSS drivers for es1371 and I got a /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 ... and I can now play quake3 and use teamspeak at the same time! hurray!

Any tips? I have a Creative Ensonique audioPCI 1371. I am trying to get TeamSpeak and q3a to play nicely. I cannot get quake to start if TeamSpeak is running. I started with OSS, but went to alsa because thats what most documentaion I found was geared towards.
I tried many tweaks, and read and tried many suggestions, but no dice with Alsa. After reading this post, I went ahead and recompiled my kernel with OSS again and unmerged alsa to try again.

Still no dice. I have a /dev/dsp and a /dev/dsp1, but when I try to get TeamSpeak to use dsp1, I get no sound, and it says in the window:

Code:

Player Attributes:
Microphone muted
Speaker/Headphone muted

in my mixer program, all channels are unmuted. Am I missing something?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: