post bugs on bugs.gentoo.org!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blubb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: post bugs on bugs.gentoo.org! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just a reminder:

PLEASE PLEASE please report bugs on https://bugs.gentoo.org/ and not here in the forums. Most devs don't read the forums, and even if they do, it's quite untidy to solve bugs reported on the forums. If you find a bug -- and compilation errors, segfaults, crashes and so on ARE bugs -- please take the time to fill in a form on bugzilla. This way, you'll really help the distribution and it's users.

A little hint why I am writing this:

On 2005-07-21, a new version of zlib was provided which included a security-related fix. Sadly, we've forgotten to update the zlib in emul-linux-x86-baselibs, so amd64-users were still vulnerable. On 2005-07-29, Torsten Kaiser filed a bug and 9 hours later, an updated version of the emul-package was in the tree. However, multiple libraries were missing, one of them beeing libpng, which was reported on bug #100795. Again, I produced a new emul-package, which is kind of PITA as you basically have to do a stage3 install, repack all the libraries you need, unpack them again in a temporary dir, extracting all the libraries you need and repack the hole thing again. I put the updated package on the mirrors, and meanwhile was reading the forum. And what do I see? A topic about exactly this bug, containing a full list of missing libraries. So I have to produce another emul-package again now. I'm not blaming anybody for me beeing stupid, but I think it's in the interest of all to fix such bugs as fast as possible. If the user who provided the nice list added a comment to the bug, 1. the bug would be fixed now and 2. I'd save a few hours of work for other bugs.

Thanks in advance,

blubb
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blubb wrote:
On 2005-07-21, a new version of zlib was provided which included a security-related fix. Sadly, we've forgotten to update the zlib in emul-linux-x86-baselibs, so amd64-users were still vulnerable. On 2005-07-29, Torsten Kaiser filed a bug and 9 hours later, an updated version of the emul-package was in the tree. However, multiple libraries were missing, one of them beeing libpng, which was reported on bug #100795. Again, I produced a new emul-package, which is kind of PITA as you basically have to do a stage3 install, repack all the libraries you need, unpack them again in a temporary dir, extracting all the libraries you need and repack the hole thing again. I put the updated package on the mirrors, and meanwhile was reading the forum. And what do I see? A topic about exactly this bug, containing a full list of missing libraries. So I have to produce another emul-package again now. I'm not blaming anybody for me beeing stupid, but I think it's in the interest of all to fix such bugs as fast as possible. If the user who provided the nice list added a comment to the bug, 1. the bug would be fixed now and 2. I'd save a few hours of work for other bugs.

I'm willing to save ANYONE the hassle of doing this. Thank you for the note. I, for one, will do so.

~~ Andrew D.

There's no place like ::1
disperato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure where to post successful tests of masked packages... So, is this the right place?

I'm not so expert on bugzilla, but I can't remember a "happy end" section :roll:
MetalGod
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you should post in bugs.gentoo.org take a look at this... http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/tests/index.xml?part=1&chap=2.

You will help developers and AT's if you follow these steps. :wink:
God Doesn't Play Dice
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are we suppose to discuss build problems if threads about something that a bug can be filed about get locked up?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-374894.html

I'm all for filing the bug but locking the topics up seems like not the thing to be doing since chit chat in the bug report isn't usually desired.
fatboyjim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firephoto: What kind of chit chat did you have in mind? If it fixes the bug I'm sure it's more than welcome in the bug report :) If it doesn't fix, or help to fix the bug, then what's the point?

Locking the posts lets people know that bug reports are more helpful than forum posts..

Jim
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatboyjim wrote:
Firephoto: What kind of chit chat did you have in mind? If it fixes the bug I'm sure it's more than welcome in the bug report :) If it doesn't fix, or help to fix the bug, then what's the point?

Locking the posts lets people know that bug reports are more helpful than forum posts..

Jim

So why have the arch specific forums?
*edit
Bug reports are more helpful for developers than forum posts but forum posts are more helpful for users than are bug reports since they can get technical or can be hard or impossible for your average user to find by searching bugzilla. That's even with the crippled search function of the forums.

Anyway, the locking just seems a little harsh and it seems a little random at this point also but there's a lot of randomness within Gentoo these days isn't there? ;)
Xithix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a compile fails it's not always a bug. Usually when I have a problem, I look for a solution on my own. If I find one, and it's a bug, I file it. If I find one and it was a user error I post nothing. If I can't find a solution I make a forum post, and if it turns out to be a bug I'll file it after identifying the problem on the forum.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: