View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pi314
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: There is a reason! Reply with quote

sgs wrote:
We all have a duty to make widespread use of Tor and encryption technologies. This will protect the privacy of everyone. I have no reason to be anonymous but I still use these technologies to protect this right.

well spoken... couldn't explain it better. and after all, there is also much truth in nephros words. thanks for enlighning our blinded minds.
JimmyGoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is still an ongoing discussion or not but

1) I've never used/heard of Tor, but understand what it is
2) Have an opinion. :P

How exactly are you banning Tor users... is there NO way at all of banning them from posting alone. I don't understand how thats NOT possible!

At the same time, who needs to be anonymous on Linux... support.... forums...? BUT I think privacy and anonimity is a very valuable thing and I think that it should be respected.

BUT! The forums are given to us... and the people that run it, take care of it etc are the ones who get to make the decisions... and as long as they are ok with the fact that they are driving some users away... well then so be it.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyGoon wrote:

If you never heard of Tor, how can you understand what it is?
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyGoon wrote:
How exactly are you banning Tor users... is there NO way at all of banning them from posting alone. I don't understand how thats NOT possible!

Our current solution only involves the webserver and a list of IPs to block. If we wanted to disallow only certain things such as posting, a more detailed solution would be necessary that may even involve patching around in phpBB.
It certainly is possible to do that, but it will surely take more time to implement and test it. There may also be holes and in a worst case scenario strange bugs could occur. While i'm not hacking around on phpBB myself i'd rather like to see our technical admins do different things, such as the still outstanding utf-8 conversion, which does affect a lot of users (new languages forums will only be made after the conversion is done because of the different character encodings, etc).
JimmyGoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:
JimmyGoon wrote:

You seem to be awfully rude to people. I didn't know what it was until I read this thread. Its some form of Proxy server/service that is meant for anonymity on the internet. People are incouraged to use it and if possible host it as well... I'm not ignorant...

edit: after googling Tor I found out I was pretty close:
Quote:
Tor is a toolset for a wide range of organizations and people that want to improve their safety and security on the Internet. Using Tor can help you anonymize web browsing

amne wrote:
JimmyGoon wrote:

Our current solution only involves the webserver and a list of IPs to block. If we wanted to disallow only certain things such as posting, a more detailed solution would be necessary that may even involve patching around in phpBB.
It certainly is possible to do that, but it will surely take more time to implement and test it. There may also be holes and in a worst case scenario strange bugs could occur. While i'm not hacking around on phpBB myself i'd rather like to see our technical admins do different things, such as the still outstanding utf-8 conversion, which does affect a lot of users (new languages forums will only be made after the conversion is done because of the different character encodings, etc).

Thats cool... and its kind of the drift I got... that there was going to be a work around... its just that a TEMP fix was needed and the final solution would come later.

I was just given my 2 cents :wink:
ausmusj1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:
JimmyGoon wrote:

Is there an admins admin? While I understand that there has been some certain amount of heated discussion on both sides of the argument in this particular thread, the above reply by pilla to JimmyGoon is plainly just an attack - it adds absolutely no value to the discussion, and just decreases the level of mature discussion while increasing the "flame-content" of this thread. For that matter, a very high number of pilla's posts in this thread have come across as being incredibly rude, and, beyond defensive, very offensive. While I acknowledge that many of the forums users have posted in this manner in this thread, shouldn't an admin be held to a higher level of emotional maturity and capability for rational discussion? Posts like these from the admins only increase the forums user's sense that they are being personally attacked by this administrative decision.

OK, that being said, I would like to offer my services for finding a better solution to this issue than what is currently implemented - I have many years of PHP development experience, and over a decade of software development experience, so if there is anything at all that I can do to help with this, I would absolutely love to. I recognize that you probably don't typically even consider offers of assistance from people you don't know from Adam, but since this appears to be such a hot topic, and there is a real risk of significantly impacting the propogation of Gentoo by blocking or alienating quite a number of Gentoo users, or would-be users, and since I am an avid fan of Gentoo (have sworn by it since 1.4), I hope that you will actually consider my offer. If not, however, I quite understand, and hope that you are able to dedicate the resource(s) to address this in a quick fashion. ;)

Thanks!

-James
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answering a couple of comments from people that think I'm being rude.

pilla wrote:
JimmyGoon wrote:

I haven't said you were ignorant. You said that you never used or heard about it. How can you understand it?

Again, I don't think it's logical to say that you know nothing about Tor and then give an opinion. Giving an opinon just for the sake of saying something about what yourself said you don't know does not make sense and I wanted to make a point on it. Too bad I didn't take the time to explain the whole thing.

Our administrative decision has nothing to do with attacking Tor users, although some users don't seem to understand that. If wasn't for users abusing the forums through the Tor network, we would certainly be open to it.

If I sounded rude, my apologies.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could a "View your posts" link be put in the top right hand corner of the forum views and in topic views? It's only on the Index and I think it deserves a place in the upper right hand corner along with the unanswered and last 24 hours links.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrofreak wrote:
Could a "View your posts" link be put in the top right hand corner of the forum views and in topic views? It's only on the Index and I think it deserves a place in the upper right hand corner along with the unanswered and last 24 hours links.

Added in CVS. Will be available the next time we upgrade the forums.
rusxakep
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian forums encoded now in windows-1251!!

Please return koi8-r or upgrade to utf8.

Thanks! :evil:
viy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Russian forum encoding problems (again) Reply with quote

This morning all visitors of Russian Gentoo forum realized, that system messages, that were using KOI8-R encoding for years, are all in WINDOWS-1251 now.

We've been suffering from the encoding problem ever since the forum was created, it's too unconvenient to switch encoding forth and back to read individual posts of the thread, when they're in different encodings. And now we've faced new problem that gives even more headache --- the majority of visitors are using Mozilla/Firefox browsers with Russian language's encoding autodetection set up, which brings more mess to our threads.

Now we have a mixture of russian encodings seen in every thingle place of the forum! Each visitor is on it's own to select the "proper" encoding for his post, which doesn't seems right. Maybe it's time to fix the problem once and forever? We've been discussing 2 possible solutions:
1) add "charset=koi8-r" to force usage of this encoding on the phpBB level;
2) convert all system messages and existing postings to UTF-8 and make it the main and only encoding for us.

2nd method would be the best choise! We're waiting for your feedback ASAP.
Thanks in advance.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Russian forum encoding problems (again) Reply with quote

Merged viys post with this thread.

viy wrote:
This morning all visitors of Russian Gentoo forum realized, that system messages, that were using KOI8-R encoding for years, are all in WINDOWS-1251 now.

I don't see any problems with that however. Works for me.

viy wrote:
1) add "charset=koi8-r" to force usage of this encoding on the phpBB level;

Bad idea.
viy wrote:
2) convert all system messages and existing postings to UTF-8 and make it the main and only encoding for us.

We're still working on it.

viy wrote:
2nd method would be the best choise! We're waiting for your feedback ASAP.

Hope that answer was ASAP enough.
viy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Russian forum encoding problems (again) Reply with quote

ian! wrote:
...I don't see any problems with that however. Works for me.

Could you elaborate a bit what you mean "works"?
Yes, russian language is there. But encoding has changed and to see yesterday's (and earlier) posts I have to manually change the encoding on each thread I'm looking at.

ian! wrote:
Hope that answer was ASAP enough.

Yes, thanks a lot.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you're right. It's a problem occuring when using the russian language pack. Sorry for the inconvenience. We're looking into fixing this.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to 2.0.17-gentoo-p3. Encoding problems should be fixed now.
viy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian! wrote:
Encoding problems should be fixed now.

Fixed. Thanks a lot!
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hihi.

I do not use TOR, because I do not believe that my privacy is in danger when I go in public (=internet). But I see that people fear that the IP address could be a point to attack or the hope to enhance their protection who they realy are because they have think their are in danger by whatever means.

Now because of that this results in the problem that the TOR user cannot be clearly identfied. Because of this the TOR user can troll on the forums without being tracked and pubnished. On our forum we had this behaviour this lead to the first emergency stop in blocking all IP known to be exit by TOR (EXITNODES).

So if I would like to use TOR and I configurate it the way that it can be used by other TOR users in the last gate bevor going in the free world i take responsibility of letting a "badguy" abuse the Forum. Thats why the Gentoo-forums block the TOR gateway since it is the last traceabel step.

Did I outlined the Problem correct so far?

If yes. It would help not to be abel to be the last gateway when exiting the TOR Network. But this would be diminish the use of it.
Ignoring the fact and letting TOR users have unrestricted Access is also not good since we have an Issue here.
Maybe the best way is that people that are on the Blacklist because they are TOR Exitnodes have an alternate way to identify clearly to the Forums.

I have in mind something like an token of some sort that is transported in order to identfy the user clearly.
This is a completely theoretical aproach to the problem. If that would be a workabel approach we can think over the next step how we can afford or how TOR can provide the trust we need. I think that the readonly access is not a satisfactory solution. And we should look into it in order to get this cleand in a way that satisfy the need of all parties involved.

So would my aproach satisfy everyone if it is possibel with our and / or TORs resources?

Cheer
Legine
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:

So if I would like to use TOR and I configurate it the way that it can be used by other TOR users in the last gate bevor going in the free world i take responsibility of letting a "badguy" abuse the Forum. Thats why the Gentoo-forums block the TOR gateway since it is the last traceabel step.

Did I outlined the Problem correct so far?

Not 100% - there are tor users and tor servers. The last server in a connection is called exit node. We've blacklisted all exit nodes allowing connections to the forums. If you are using tor as a user, your connection is routed via the tor network, the exit not, the forum recognizes the IP and sets you to read only mode. If you want to post, turn off tor and you will be able to.
If you are running a tor exit node yourself your IP may be blacklisted and you're also in read only mode as the IP is the one of an exit node, even if you're not using the tor network yourself in this very special case. You can adjust your server rules so that you are no longer allowing connections to the forums. This allows you to post from this IP again as no tor user can access the forums via that IP. If you don't want to do that, you could still use your provider's web proxy.

legine wrote:

If yes. It would help not to be abel to be the last gateway when exiting the TOR Network. But this would be diminish the use of it.

Correct, tor routers that are not exit nodes are not affected at all.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the solution used at the moment. Thanks to point that out. I see I missed some facts.

I read a bit about the TOR project and it sounds interesting. Now our problem is japperdising the aim of TOR. The Forum has every right to do so and IMO you have done the right thing.
But the way I understand the TOR project it is not in the interest of the TOR project to be anynom to everyone.

It aims more to establish privacy to third party. At least I interpred following link that way:
http://tor.eff.org/overview.html

I do not believe in this but some others do or need it. So I think we should look for a solution and give a chance for improvement. Thats what I want to know what other information exept IP adress would be acceptabel in order to identfy a peron for sure.

Would the MAC adress do the trick? or a "cryptic token" of some means?
sschlueter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply can't resist to post a few comments regarding this whole thread. English is not my native language, and I find it kind of hard to express my views on this issue, so please bare with me.

I completely understand that abuse of the gentoo forums is a problem and I can very well imagine that dealing with such things takes too much time (or has recently started to take too much time).

I'm currently not a tor user, so I'm not affected by this restriction but on the ideological side I fully support the idea of having the ability to be completely anonymous on the internet. And I think in days like these it is pretty hard to justify such an ability considering the various crimes that can safely be done this way. Until today I wasn't aware that several sites are already blocking tor exit nodes. I'm worried about this, since this could reduce the usefulness of tor up to the point where most users stop using it. This could lead to a situation where 99,5% of the tor users are using it for illegal activities which finally could lead to a situation where tor itself will be declared illegal. I'm fully aware that the forum administrators had a problem to solve but I think the big picture is pretty important in this case.

Anyway, I also want to comment on the general tone and on some attitudes expressed.

I scares me that nixnut is of the opinion that anonymity needs a "good reason". I will not elaborate on this, as I have already said something about my ideological believes about privacy on the internet.

And while I'm already taking into account that this thread is a heated debate, I find it absolutely intollerable that nixnut and ian! have been so extremely rude. Shame on you!

I have always liked the gentoo forums for being such a warm and fríendly place. This feeling is now gone.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have always liked the gentoo forums for being such a warm and fríendly place. This feeling is now gone.

Isn't that a bit rush?
I mean you have also some realy bad argues with your parents (or other people you love) and their feelings are not changed. So why do you loose your trust in this good forums just because there is one heated discussion where in the end the suggested compromise had been realized.

I think that this hole matter could have been solved smother, but a compromise has been made and all TOR users seem to be happy with it. The only problem I see it that this won't be good to stay that way forever. But this is not realy a responsibility of this Forum don't you think?

I hope to solve this problemforever and on wider spectrum. I would like to make TOR users abel to write in this forum again. That is complitly a technical problem and not something that has to be thought about on this forum.
Now sinc3e I tried to get here an answer and did not get one exept the description of the situation, I guess there is no interest in solving problems right. I will pass the matter to the Mailinglist of TOR with my understanding of the situation and have them worry about the issue, since no admin helps me to find an for Gentoo Forums acceptabel solution.
[/sarcasm]The TOR exit user are a minority so why worry about?[/sarcasm]

Ohh yea. About the crap of beeing annonymous.
To be annonymous is in general not a good Idea since like you can see on the abuse on TOR, you loose your responsibility to your doings. If you do not take the responsibility of your action in front of this community, what is your membership worth?
TOR should hide your identity in front of a third party, but it should not hide it in front of us. And you should as a member of the community trust that the community finds the right decissions. (Since you are a part of the community that includes you in the responsibility in finding the right solution ^^)
From this position the solution for readonly acces from TOR Exitpoints is correct!

Cheer
Legine
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sschlueter wrote:
I scares me that nixnut is of the opinion that anonymity needs a "good reason".
Your anonymity needs a good reason to convince us to accept the consequences of granting it. What you seem to imply is that we should allow you to be anonynous with no benefit to us whatsoever while suffering the nasty side effects. Why should we suffer so that you can have a benefit that you cannot even justify the reason for?

Would you unlock your door at night so people can have anonymous access to your house? Probably not, right? So what if a group of people requires you to do that and starts making a lot of noise about anonymity if you disagree with them? Do you think that you should unlock your door then?
If not, why should we? Why shouldn't we ourselves be allowed to make the choice to lock or unlock?

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
sschlueter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
sschlueter wrote:
I scares me that nixnut is of the opinion that anonymity needs a "good reason".
Your anonymity needs a good reason to convince us to accept the consequences of granting it. What you seem to imply is that we should allow you to be anonynous with no benefit to us whatsoever while suffering the nasty side effects. Why should we suffer so that you can have a benefit that you cannot even justify the reason for?

When I said what you quoted I was simply angry because I got the impression that anything less serious than living in a country with a suppressive regime is not considered to be a valid reason for anonymity on the internet by you. I now realize that you probably simply said that anonymity is not crucial when accessing a linux support forum, at least not in the sense that anonymity is crucial when accessing "subversive literature". If that's what you said I can agree on this.

And please keep in mind that I haven't criticized the decision of the administrators as such.

But I think there is a "small issue" and a "big issue".

The "small issue" is how to deal with floods of crap postings in the gentoo forums, especially if lots of those postings come from people using tor.

The "big issue'" is how to deal with users abusing tor (or anonymizers in general).

The problem that I see is that the two issues can't be separated. Even worse, a possible solution to the small issue (simply blocking the tor network) might have a negative impact on the big issue, especially when many important sites make this decision. I have already explained this possible negative impact in my last posting.

I guess that at least some forum administrators might be of the opinion that they don't care about the big issue and that they're only responsible for the small issue. I'm aware that many users would argue that there's always the risk of abuse and that there's nothing that can be done about it. Others might even think that the whole concept of anonymity on the internet is flawed just because of this constant risk of abuse. But I think that one should not give up the idea of anonymity on the internet just because there is a small percentage of users abusing their possibilities. And this is exactly why I think that the usefulness of tor should not be crippled so that many people continue using it. This is the only way to keep the percentage of abuse small.

So the bottom line is that dealing with the tor problem might not be directly beneficial, but not dealing with the tor problem might have a negative impact on a much wider scale. Now I have provided a reason, although I must admit that it's actually some kind of "reverse" reason.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sschlueter wrote:
But I think there is a "small issue" and a "big issue".
I would agree.

sschlueter wrote:
The "small issue" is how to deal with floods of crap postings in the gentoo forums, especially if lots of those postings come from people using tor.

The "big issue'" is how to deal with users abusing tor (or anonymizers in general).
Except that I think you've reversed them. Tor may be a fine application (I may even try it out some day), but it is not a requirement for the forums to work. Minimizing spam/abuse is. If there were no control measures (including manual interaction by admins & mods) the forums would become less useable.

Tor should eliminate their list of exit nodes. And phpbb needs an improved method for filtering spam. That a message goes directly from a persons thoughts, into the post window, and is then visible is the problem.

The bottom line is this: Until we can find a better way to protect the forums, Tor won't be allowed (and I'd personally like to see it allowed). Philosophizing on Tor is rather pointless for the purposes of this discussion. Efforts should be put toward solving the Tor/spam/abuse/forums problem in a practical manner (no massive code rewrites, no hoop jumping for the non-Tor user, etc.).

As an aside, I've thought of toying with using a mail system as a forum. Webmail as the user interface, and existing spam tools would make it easier. Require valid email accounts where "confirmation" messages are sent before a "post" can be accepted, while blocking all gmail, yahoo, hotmail, msn, et. al. accounts. Converting the phpbb database would be the difficult part (so says the non-programmer). But thats well beyond the point of this thread.
DremK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Where is the FREEDOM of Gentoo services??? Reply with quote

I use a FREE SYSTEM for its freedoms but i'm indignant in which several services of a free system are limiting OUR FREDOM.

#gentoo channel is the only one that forces tor users to need request voice, and isn't possible post a message and these forums. Simply because people were using Tor to abuse the forums.

I think that it's always possible to be taken other alternatives but sure that was the easiest way (doesn't let tor users)
i.e. developing a plugin so that forum users can indicate if a message is a spam. To the 5 indications the administator would be notified for to checking it.

If you think it's not just about spam, it's also about tracking people who have been banned. I say you that you will not be able to tracking to users with a dynamic ip.

There are a lot of countries and mega-corporations that they want to control everything what we do or to say.
In Spain, France, and i think that it'll be in all countries of E.U. , all communications through Internet will be logged (if its not already done :( ). Aside from which systems like carnivore or echelon exist.

So Gentoo is letting that all my communication is being to logged like minimum for my country.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: