Can someone explain eend $? "Failed to run ${NTPDATE_CM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Can someone explain eend $? "Failed to run ${NTPDATE_CM Reply with quote

The line is found in the file /etc/init.d/ntpd.

I believe ${NTPDATE_CMD} is interogatin an environment variable by the name of NTPDATE_CMD and returning it's value.

I believe $? is some kind of bash gibberish for holding the return value of the previous action.

But what is "eend"? I've looked all over Google, the bash man page, /sbin/rc, /etc/init.d/runscripts.sh, and wherever else I can think of and can't find any "eend".

I know it's some kind of check the return value and output this stringy type of function but where is it defined?? In source code?

Thanks.
Carlos
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. I found where it is defined. In /etc/init.d/functions.sh. I wish Gentoo came with some kind of cross reference documentation or something. It's such a hassle trying to understand the code and where things are without some kind of road map or high level system overview and interaction map or flowchart.

I'm piecing it together but boy oh boy is it ever hassle! It's like pulling teeth.

I guess there must be cross reference utilities in Linux but for someone new at Gentoo it sure feels like continual groping about in the dark trying to find stuff.

Linux can be such an incredibly big pain sometimes. Thank goodness for the Redhat's and Mandrake's of the world. If not for them Linux would remain an OS for geeks, hackers, and command line tinkerers (of which I have now become one I guess) while the rest of the world continued to be productive using Windows.

Not saying I am not glad I came to Gentoo but sometimes I do wonder where the Linux world would be if someone, somewhere, such as the aforementioned companies didn't try to make Linux easier to work with.

Anyway I guess that's it for another piece of the puzzle I had a question about. On to the next one!

Thanks.
Carlos
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: