Toshiba > Which kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurentbon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Toshiba > Which kernel? Reply with quote

I have performed a first installation of gentoo on my Toshiba Satellite 5000-104 from tarball stage 3 and find myself with a system not perfect at all:

- PPP daemon wouldn't start
- Nvidia card is not recognised (and I have tried a lot of howtos...)
- Yamaha sound card the same

I am going to start a fresh install, however I was wondering which kernel is the most appropriate for my machine?

Has anyone managed to do a full install on this model and can he share his experience?

Thank you.
Ethernal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm running the XFS sources on my old toshiba satellite, and that works like a dream
Hmm.. Of course, these are MY opinions - likely to be just as flawed as anyone else's. Um, really, I guess you should assume everyone's speaking out of some external influence. Believe in whatever makes sense to you.
laurentbon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.
I guess it still requires a lot of customisation for the nvidia card anyway...?
Will give it a go though!
laurentbon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: XFS filesystem & XFS kernel. Reply with quote

How are they related.
Do you need to use the XFS filesystem for your partitions to make the most of the XFS source kernel? Are they completely unrelated?

I though I would use ReiserFS for my filesystem and the XFS kernel. Would that do?

Sorry if it is a very trivial question...
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurentbon,

the filesystem choice (XFS/Reiserfs/ext3,etc.) is unrelated to your question regarding the best kernel for your toshiba laptop- the XFS sources, to which Ethernal refers, is *simply* a vanilla kernel with several patches which implement the XFSfilesystem.

I do not know the technical specs of the 5000-104, so I am somewhat limited in what I can say as regards your machine, however I am using gentoo on a 5005-S507. My Toshiba comes with an Intel EtherExpress 10/100, for this I use the drivers provided by Intel,

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?url=/2896/eng/e100-2.1.29.tar.gz

I found that I need the very latest in acpi patches in order to get my sound working, my toshiba is a so-called "legacy free" machine, ie. "free" of BIOS, Serial and Parallel ports etc. I put my own kernel together using a variety of patches, however I would recommend you try "acpi-sources"-simply do an emerge acpi-sources....this should give a kernle with "bleeding-edge" acpi support....

I also had to manually download the very latest ALSA source and compile it- the alsa-driver ebuild in portage, AT THAT TIME(~3 months ago), was not capable of taking advantage of the acpi info thus it was not able to "see" my audio card....this may no longer be the case.....

hope this helps...
laurentbon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answer and the tips IWBCMAN: most useful...
My 5000-104 is also legacy free. I expect it is built more or less with the same hardware as yours but lower memory and processor frequency.
I think I am now all geared for my re-intallation!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: