Joystick/Gamepad help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Joystick/Gamepad help Reply with quote

Would someone please walk me through setting up my Sidewinder gamepad and Wingman joystick? Both are USB. I'm totally clueless about this and need some help (more than some actually :D ). Also, whats a good program to test them with? Thanks.
jair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, is there anyone out there who knows how to get my joystick and gamepad working, or could at least point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.
sprprsnmn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem before, and this is how I got my Microsoft (yes, I know, it was on sale) gamepad to work. It is usb also.

You need to have the following things either compiled into the kernel, or loaded as modules:

1.) either UHCI or OHCI, depending on your chipset, run a "grep USB /proc/pci" to find out
2.) HID - this module is in the USB portion of the kernel config, says something about "Full HID" or something
3.) you also need joydev. It's located in the "input devices" section of the config.

it should work. Mine "just works" in linux. The joystick is located at /dev/input/js0, so I made a symlink to /dev/js0 so that my programs could call it from the right place. Gentoo may do it for you, I'm not sure, I just did it anyway.

To test them, I'd recommend getting one of the excellent emulators for Linux. There are plenty of public domain roms out there to test with. I'd recommend snes9x or zsnes, both are fast and support most games.
jair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprprsnmn wrote:

2.) HID - this module is in the USB portion of the kernel config, says something about "Full HID" or something

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd forgotten to throw that into the mix :oops:

sprprsnmn wrote:

To test them, I'd recommend getting one of the excellent emulators for Linux. There are plenty of public domain roms out there to test with. I'd recommend snes9x or zsnes, both are fast and support most games.

Emulators are the main reason that I want gamepad support :wink:

Thanks for the help! I'll post about whether or not it worked when I get home.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: