CUPS not working anymore
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocTomoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: CUPS not working anymore Reply with quote

When I initially installed Gentoo, I also set up my printer using the CUPS driver and it worked perfectly. Now yesterday (since then I made a lot of package updates of course) I wanted to use my printer and had to see it was no longer recognized by cups. lpinfo -v didn't even see my /dev/usb/lp0 although it was there and had read/write permissions, etc.

I then removed all of cups and reinstalled, same problem. I was then finally able to pin that error down to the fact that I had my /etc/hosts file not set up like expected by cups and/or PAM. After changing it back to 127.0.0.1 localhost, I was finally able to readd my printer to the list, set it up, etc. However only using the KDE Print Center. Using the web interface, I got a Request Entity Too Large error message by the cups web server.

Ok, so now I got the printer set up and recognized again, yet it still doesn't print. If I try to print a test page from the KDE Print Center, I get a "server-error-service-unavailable" error message, if I try to print a test page from the web interface, I get a "client-error-gone" error message.

This starts ticking me off, as I can't find any valid reason why it does that. I guess it has somehow been broken either by the latest cups ebuild (r4, i know it worked under r3) or by the recent PAM updates.

I'll be thankful for any ideas or suggestions.
http://www.gentoo.org
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another funny cups problem I'm having...

I tried this both from the ebuild and from installing manually from src, I install cups, launch cupsd (also tried from rc-update add cups default), and my machine locks hard every time.

Does anyone have any advice for this? No logs anywhere showed problems, in fact it showed cupsd launching normally, etc.

Why doesn printing in Linux always have to be so damned difficult anyway? :P
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the Request Entity Too Large error also. I just installed cups on this machine two days ago. I've never seen this before.

Printing is difficult because historically the burden has been on the client to have resident drivers and the server just sits and spools the incoming traffic. It would be much better if print servers all had their own web interface. Point your browser to spooler.mydomain.com, click on the printer you want, and hit add queue to local host. All servers should accept postscript input and have their own resident drivers for their connected printers. That would make way too much sense, though.

The other problem is that while some people connect printers to their client machines locally, others don't. It would be nice to have the printer's device driver be a kernel module, but there would be no way to abstract this system to cover the case of the remote print server.
tsnoam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: This is a problem with net-print/cups-1.1.23-r4, i believe Reply with quote

Hi,
I just had the same problem with a newly installed gentoo. (On an intel platform, though)
My hunch told me that this has something to do with a bug in the ver. of cups i was using. So I ran the following commands:
Code:
emerge -C cups
emerge =net-print/cups-1.1.23-r1

The version of cups I emerged was the last one with the stable x86 keyword (not ~x86).
This just did the trick. Everything started to work.

Noam
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: