Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
UT2004 Failed to fully write blahblahblah...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: UT2004 Failed to fully write blahblahblah... Reply with quote

I recently picked up a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 from my local Best Buy, but when I went to install it, I got the familiar (to some) "Failed to fully write file" error. I checked disk space, and I have 14GB of free space on the target partition, which is also the same partition that /tmp and /var are on. Each time I retry the install from the beginning, the install gets a little further along before dying, but always dies on the third disc.

I have so far managed to get the install to run past the third disc only twice, and both time it made it completely through the install. The first time I then installed the Strikeforce mod and got an error along the lines of "ReadFile beyond EOF 0+4/0". Thinking that my install had just gotten corrupted, I decided to reinstall the game (bad idea now that I look back on that) and after about 20 install attempts, the installer finally made it past the third disc and completed without error. Extremely excited, I immediately started up the game in anticipation of finally relaxing with some good ol' Unreal, but much to my dismay I now got the "ReadFile beyond EOF" error right away with the main game.

Now, quite frustrated, I started the install process over, but this time watched /var/log/messages. Just before every error I would get a log message complaining of a corrupt sector on the disc. But these corrupt sectors were never in the same place! Thoroughly tired and angry, I gave up for the night and decided to check the forums in the morning, and so here I am.

Yes, I have gone through all the other threads and Google results I found and tried mounting the CD-ROMs with "mount -o noexec" but that didn't work either. I also disabled SCSI emulation, and that also failed to fix the problem. If anybody has any ideas to toss out, please do so. I will post exact error and log messages later tonight.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried installing through the ebuild in portage, or only using the installer on the CD?
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the ebuild from portage and it gives an error that equates to the same thing. The exact error that I get when using the ebuild is something along the lines of a cp failing. I have also tried manually copying the files from the CDs, and that works without any errors in /var/log/messages or stdout.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried copying all the files from the CDs into a folder and then install using the folder as the source?
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't tried that yet, but thanks for the idea. It makes a lot of sense that it may work. I'll try it as soon as I get home from work.
zakk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the target filesystem?
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I copied the files and the game installed correctly :D Every time I got the error about bad sectors, I umount'd then mount'd the CD and tried to copy again and it usually worked. Install went without hitch. This was all from the ebuild, however, when I used the ebuild of either the Strikeforce or Red Orchestra mods, I get the same error as before:
Code:

ReadFile beyond EOF 0+4/0...

I am installing the game onto ReiserFS.
Ma3oxuct
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the reason for why the problem occurred(I had the same things with other programs): You are mounting /var and /tmp in the same partition (according to what you said earlier). When you do this permissions in that directory get messed up. It is best to mount those directories serparatly to avoid having chmod 755 /var or /tmp.
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which error are you refering to?

UPDATE: Ignore that last update, I just needed to delete the existing user settings for Strikeforce (~/.ut2004/StrikeForce/) and then run it again. Now it is back to the original problem: the maps are all exported, then the EOF error.
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! I got it working. The ReadFile EOF error was coming from something called "CubeMaps". So I used found two files that referenced "cubemap": /opt/ut2004/Textures/cp_cubemaps.utx and /opt/ut2004/Textures/X_cp_cubemaps.utx. I moved these two files out of the directory and now the mods run fine (albeit a few errors when loading some maps).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: