WineX doesn't run any of my games?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: WineX doesn't run any of my games? Reply with quote

I've just now, for the first time, tried to use WineX (I got it through emerge winex) and I've found that it fails to run every one of my ten games, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that might help me configure WineX to work with my games?

The games that I play are not very well known, and as such are not listed in the WineX compatibility list. All of them are 2D games. They are all Windows games (Not DOS games) and were relased between 1997 and 2000.

The installation process runs fine. I get the installation splash screen that I expect to see, complete with graphics and everything and the installation works. The when I actually try to run most of them, I get that debugger window thing (The black one with the bright white text that looks like a console window). For one of the games (The one I happened to want to play most), I got a Windows error message box that says "A debugger has been detected!, Please stop the debugger and try again.".

The only real configuration I have done to WineX is allowing it to see my CD-ROM drive, and I can't think of anything else that might help.

I have a Voodoo 3 3000 graphics card, although my impression was that a nice graphics card should not matter for 2D games. I have managed to get one of the games working under WINE a long time ago back when I had Windows installed, but even that one does not work under either WINE or WineX now.

So is there any chance I might get my games working, or will I just have to wait until they're supported?

Cheers,
Martin
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could start by posting what games you are trying to get working. Others here who might have tried them as well may be able to offer some help. Also, have you tried winex-cvs and wine? Maybe the games work under a more recent winex or work better under wine.

RagManX
MartinB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can post a list of the games, but I doubt as to whether anyone here has heard of them. I have tried them in both WINE and WineX-CVS. They are not very well known games:

Kana -Little Sister- (Gave the message "A debugger has been detected!")
Critical Point (Have had working in WINE a long time ago, back when I had Windows 98 installed)
Snow Drop (Heard reports that someone had working in WINE, though I couldn't do it. Runs on same engine as Critical Point)
X-Change
Tokimeki Check-in
Transfer Student
Divi-Dead
Desire
Glo-Ri-A
Forbidden Forest III (This is the only 3D one, and complains about no GLX, but I guess that's cause I didn't set up my 3D acceleration yet)

The only games that I want to play that I can confirm do not work from the WineX compatibility list are the Tomb Raider games, but I'm happy that I at least know that they have acknowledged them.

Cheers,
Martin
MattElmore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVS winex (the one in portage) is missing a lot of magic that makes a lot of the games work. Buy the subscription version from www.transgaming.com and you should be set. Only game I've tried it with is Warcraft3 and it works perfectly.
MartinB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: