Figuring out netboot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadlyMuffin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Figuring out netboot Reply with quote

I have an Ultra 30 with no drives in it, and I'd like to netboot either solaris or gentoo. In either case I'm netbooting from an amd64 gentoo system. I have a gentoo/Ultra 5 system that I could boot from if really necessary, but unless the arch is important I don't think it matters.

I think I have rarpd set up correctly. My /etc/ethers file has the MAC address of the Ultra 30 and the hostname I want to give it: "strangelove"

The IP I want to assign: "192.168.1.2" is listed with strangelove in /etc/hosts and I can attempt to ping it (no response, but shows hosts is set up correctly)

jumpstart is the name of the host in /etc/hosts and I'm hooked to the Ultra 30 with a crossover cable.

/etc/conf.d/rarpd is set up with the -v flag and -i to the correct interface

I think that tftp is set up correctly, I emerged tftp-hpa and my /etc/conf.d/in.tftpd file has:
INTFTPD_PATH="/tftproot"
INTFTPD_OPTS="-s -v -l ${INTFTPD_PATH}"

which I think is correct. In the /tftproot directory I've placed a symlink called C0A80102 (the hex value of 192.168.1.2) linked to the inetboot file for Ultra30s in the solaris10install directory

I mounted the Solaris 10 DVD and ran the Solaris_10/Tools/setup_install_server script aimed at my /home/deadlymuffin/solaris10install directory. It seemed to run correctly, and it stuck a couple gigs of files there.

I got bootparmd, it was in some random portage package, and my /etc/bootparams file is as follows:
strangelove root=jumpstart:/home/deadlymuffin/solaris10install/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot \
install=jumpstart:/home/deadlymuffin/solaris10install \
boottype=:in sysid_config=jumpstart:/home/deadlymuffin/solaris10install/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot/etc \
install_config=jumpstart:/home/deadlymuffin/solaris10config \
rootopts=:rsize=8192,wsize=8192

I also have NFS running, my /etc/exports file shares the solaris10install directory and the solaris10config directory

If I start everything, NFS, bootparmd, rarpd, tftp and try and 'boot net - install' from the ultra 30, it says it's booting off the nic, and then displays nothing more. A tcpdump gives this:

rarp who-is strangelove tell strangelove
rarp reply strangelove at strangelove
IP strangelove.38795 > jumpstart.tftp: 17 RRQ "C0A8102" octet
arp who-has strangelove tell jumpstart
arp reply strangelove is-at strangelove
IP jumpstart.32786 > strangelove.38795: UDP, length: 19

I appologize for the length of the post, but there was a lot of setup involved in this, and I'm not quite sure what went wrong along the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

DM
tnk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which I think is correct. In the /tftproot directory I've placed a symlink called C0A80102 (the hex value of 192.168.1.2) linked to the inetboot file for Ultra30s in the solaris10install directory

I also have NFS running, my /etc/exports file shares the solaris10install directory and the solaris10config directory

If I start everything, NFS, bootparmd, rarpd, tftp and try and 'boot net - install' from the ultra 30, it says it's booting off the nic, and then displays nothing more. A tcpdump gives this:

rarp who-is strangelove tell strangelove
rarp reply strangelove at strangelove
IP strangelove.38795 > jumpstart.tftp: 17 RRQ "C0A8102" octet
arp who-has strangelove tell jumpstart
arp reply strangelove is-at strangelove
IP jumpstart.32786 > strangelove.38795: UDP, length: 19

Got it! Rename the symlink to C0A8102 and it should work (i hope). I'm having problems with netboot aswell :([/i]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: