crack-attack routinely crashes my system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: crack-attack routinely crashes my system Reply with quote

So, I've been playing crack-attack for quite a while. It's such a great game that I continue to play it despite the fact that it keeps crashing my system. And I do mean crash: the mouse might happen to move once per minute, no keyboard shortcuts work (including ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-f1), and I can't even ssh in to kill any process because the system is locked up to the point where it can't acknowledge even a simple ping request. Sometimes if I wait a while (5 minutes or more) it will recover, but not always. Also, I notice that my clock is off by however long crack-attack was frozen: even my clock can't be updated!

I've tried various things to fix this problem. I recompiled crack-attack using no optimizations (-mcpu=i686, without -02 or -pipe). No luck. I used KDE instead of fluxbox. For a day or two it worked, then it crashed. I even started crack-attack with virtually nothing else running under fluxbox, and with a nice value of 18, yet it still crashed!

I'm at my wit's end here. Does anybody have any suggestions? Is anybody else having similar problems with crack-attack? This problem doesn't seem to be happening with any other programs or games (including quake3). I'm out of ideas. :cry:

Of course, the simple solution would be to just quit playing crack-attack, but anybody who has ever played that game knows that that is not an acceptable solution. (By the way, has anybody beat my high score of 1110? 8) )

Last edited by kyptin on Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best score at crack-attack was 1395 and it's not a joke, it's really my best score ;)

For your problem, I just can say that the last time where crack-attack crash, it will crash also my system by a kernel panic (it's was the first time of my live that I get a kernel panic :? ) but I think that with the sight of the kernel.log it's the nvidia driver who was at the origin of the kernel panic !

Also I think that crack-attack is a really good game, but not really good coded.... and I have no solutions for you...

FYI : I'm using fluxbox and waimea and I play crack-attack generally without any problems, except when nvidia driver kill my linux !!!
Kaali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crack-Attack crashed randomly with 3123 NVidia drivers for me. With 4191 works fine, but 2D is slow on the system :? , it's an akward situation. Now i'm using nv -driver, which means i'm on a hiatus for Crack-Attack.. please NVidia release the new drivers!
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: trying 4191 Reply with quote

OK, I've emerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx version 4191-r1, and restarted X. I will post back if it hasn't crashed in a few days. Thanks (he said in faith)! :?
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: That seems good. Reply with quote

Well, it seems like that's worked so far. Hopefully it will continue to work. Thanks for the help! By the way, are the 4191 drivers masked for a reason?
Kaali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: That seems good. Reply with quote

kyptin wrote:
Well, it seems like that's worked so far. Hopefully it will continue to work. Thanks for the help! By the way, are the 4191 drivers masked for a reason?

I think it's masked because of the "2D Performance issues". I had these problems with Gnome2 and Nautilus. But putting Option "RenderAccel" into XF86Config Serverflags seems to have fixed the problem.
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: That seems good. Reply with quote

Kaali wrote:
I think it's masked because of the "2D Performance issues". I had these problems with Gnome2 and Nautilus. But putting Option "RenderAccel" into XF86Config Serverflags seems to have fixed the problem.

Great news, I will install them tomorrow (today I need a working machine, so it's not the time to test new drivers ;) ).
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I was getting Kernel Panic while playingCrack-Attack on my old (Athlon 900TBird) machine. Happened quite a few times then I took a look at my CPU temps. waaaayyy above normal. Spent 3 hours carefully scraping off thermal goo from the processor and replaced the heatsink and fan with a Delta fan which sounds like a helicopter but I can turn it down to minimum speed to not be too loud. Strange that I've used the system for so long without a problem then suddenly when playing crack attack it decides to die.
:-D

Puggy
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, what is up with that? Seems like crack-attack taxes too much of your system resources. It apparently makes my geforce 2 overheat with older drivers, 'cause that's the only thing I can think of to explain the above problem. And it overheats your CPU? That's insane. Those 3d graphics really need to be optimized... :o
Kaali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this happens because Crack-Attack code is port of an illegal game from year 2132. The game is newest technology of visual drugs and it is banned because it addicted the whole planet through their personal communicators in just 6 months. People thought this was really harmless but then they noticed that their communicators started crashing and central servers started losing information. FBTCI (Federal Bureau of Technical Crime Investigations) reverse engineered the code and found some self morphing code that can overheat any computer in existent by aggravating atoms by using specific pulse sequences through transistors. Creator of Crack-Attack was arrested and interrogated. He was released after 2 days when he could prove that self-morphing code was made for advanced A.I. which chooses the colors of the blocks. It seems the self-morphing code has accuired an ability to send information through a dimension warp that is researched at NASA. And has sent the information through Electricsheep (screensaver software) to coders mind who didn't actually know what he was coding. Crack-Attack hasn't been banned in present day for unknown reason. Maybe it has brainwashed the ones who decide on these things. So it is up to us, to erradicate this program from this dimension and stop it from being made in the future. Pass the word to your children and we shall together make it stop!
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

Wow, too funny! And ya know, I'd think it was completely fictitious, except for what you said about it addicting the whole planet in 6 months... Because everyone who has played the game knows that that isn't far from the truth...

Kaali, you're my hero...what a yarn! :D You read science fiction, don't you?
Kaali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyptin wrote:

Kaali, you're my hero...what a yarn! :D You read science fiction, don't you?

Me reading books is a bit rare.. but i have read one scfi book: Douglas Adams Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. Oh, and the book about Vim :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: