connecting from school pc to dorm pc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: connecting from school pc to dorm pc Reply with quote

It's kinda hard for me to word this question to properly search for it and it probably was alrready asked someway or another but I want to connect to my gentoo pc in my dorm from my win2k machine in computer lab at school. I'm not quite a noob with linux in general but doing networking and remote access. Whats the best way to do it and is it possible to use the gui efficiently. thanks alot.
dukie

here are sketchy specs of the two machines in question.

dorm pc:
athlon 1800xp
768mb pc2700
Gentoo 1.4rc2 dualing with win2k

lab pc:
PIII-1ghz
512mb ddr
win2k
Lnx_dork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to connect to your you linux box from the win2k machince is ssh. I like putty for win2k the best. The putty.exe is small enough to fit on a disk since some labs use very restrictive settings about downloading stuff to the HD.

If you want to do remote desktop stuff too, then emerge tightvnc and set that up on your gentoo box. Then you can set up putty to do port forwarding for the vnc session so that it is secure. You can download tightvnc viewer for windows as well, or you can use the java part in tightcvnc and connect to your desktop in any internet browser.

Check the gentoo security guide for setting up ssh, and there are plenty of posts on portforwarding and vnc stuff in the forums

Hope this helps
dukie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, Im going to have to read up then. It's probably easier than it looks, but Im probably gonna kill it. hehe. thanks though for the info.

dukie
dukie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I figured out that kde3.1 has the builtin krfd and I can log in using vcnview from a win2k pc. the only problem is that I can't do anything but look at the screen, ex, I can't open, or move anything else or do any othe manipulation on the desktop. I've set to let to allow univited to control desktop but it still won't let me do anything. is there anything Im missing here? probably. thanks again
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just emerge vnc then run vncserver on the gentoo box

and make sure when you connect to the box youir not using the listen view only ... there is another viewer that allowss controll you may be using the wrong client
dukie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok check. got it going. i can use the new X session, but I want to copy my current kde login. how can I go about using vncserver to do that. so far so good. thanks again for the help
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy your current kde login? can you please clarify
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dukie wrote:
ok check. got it going. i can use the new X session, but I want to copy my current kde login. how can I go about using vncserver to do that. so far so good. thanks again for the help
If you mean you want to start KDE from vnc look at man vnc and poke around~/.vnc. Think it has its own file that specifes what it starts there. Not used vnc in 6 months though...
dukie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

******copy your current kde login? can you please clarify******

what i meant was that I want to use an existing x session using kde, to use vnc with and log into that instead of a new x session. does that help a bit?

In other words, for example I open up openoffice file Im working on. when I go to class I wanna log in and edit it.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe for that you need x0rfbserver. I've never used it so I dont know how well it works.
dukie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, can anybody give more info on this? Sounds intriging. thanks
jimmybfan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i konw you cannot set up a vncsercer to use the current desktop. You should be able to do what you want with the remote desktop feature in kde 3.1. Just make sure you have the Allow univited connetions to control the desktop box checked in the remote desktop setuip in the kde control panel. I've been using it for a while with no problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: