Branching Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Branching Gentoo Reply with quote

I have an idea, after the next "stable" release, why don't we extent into a stable and a development branch, to ensure that we can provide a stable distro in which all ebuild work with default optimizations and a developmebt branch for the blood on sword insane type people.

a time difference of 14 days, should be provided as a stabilising periode between stable and devel.

So that say, kopete 1.0 enters devel at day 1, no major bugs appear, be brand it as stable.

Kinda like the way Debian' Testing and Unstable works, only with without the aging stable branch (which is both debian' major advantage and major disadvantage)
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Robbins has said that he is looking into keeping a seperate portage tree for more mission-critical servers that would only contain ebuilds that have been extensively tested. This is a great option because it lets people like me keep on the bleeding edge while also knowing that if we really need something to work, we can trust that above-mentioned portage branch.
pointwood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about desktops and such then?

I like this idea about having a development and a stable tree. How long the period should be before a package enters the stable tree, I don't know, but it would be nice to be pretty sure that you'll keep a stable system as long as you stay away from the development tree.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: