Strange NVidia driver behaviour
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Strange NVidia driver behaviour Reply with quote

I have merged the packages nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx successfully. However, if I start X and then exit X, the cursor on the console becomes two pink ones, floating in mid-line. However if I use the drivers that come with XFree86, it doesn't happen. I would really like to know the cause of this problem, and if anyone else gets it.

Please reply if you get this "error".
tsuru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using an Athlon? It has been discovered in the past that the nvidia drivers do weird stuff to the behavior of ones machine... although it seems rare... Alan Cox has gotten so sick of getting email on nvidia's problem that he's filtering that mail to /dev/null.

Personally I haven't seen the issue you speak of... but I am just preparing you that the answer might end up being "tolerate it"
phraktle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: framebuffa Reply with quote

hi,

try not using the framebuffer console stuff (compiled into the kernel).. you loose the tux logo, but hey... :)

phrak
roTor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange NVidia driver behaviour Reply with quote

craftyc wrote:
I have merged the packages nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx successfully. However, if I start X and then exit X, the cursor on the console becomes two pink ones, floating in mid-line. However if I use the drivers that come with XFree86, it doesn't happen. I would really like to know the cause of this problem, and if anyone else gets it.

Please reply if you get this "error".

I get the same error, more or less,(1 blue cursor) on a box with TNT2 w/ framebuffer compiled in.
Don't get the error on a box with Gforce2 w/ framebuffer compiled in.

Look on the nVidia linux forums for info about problems with some cards and framebuffer support.
Nygard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Had very similar behavior Reply with quote

I was getting four purple dots, but otherwise the same. I rebuilt my kernel with "fbcon" turned off and it went away. So did the random hangs when exiting X. :wink:
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, turned framebuffer off a month ago and all my problems, well atleast the once concerning the nvidia-card, went away. Besides you don't really need the fb under console, when using X. I have a Asus V7100 (nvidia-geforce 2mx).

Cya, lX
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will try turning off frambuffer support and see if it works.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: