View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextekcarl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: New Xorg (x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r2 [6.8.2-r1]) nvidia prob Reply with quote

I just installed the xorg update listed above from Portage, as well as these:

[ebuild U ] sys-libs/zlib-1.2.2-r1 [1.2.2]
[ebuild U ] app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r3 [9.0-r2]
[ebuild NS ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r4
[ebuild U ] dev-libs/libxslt-1.1.13-r1 [1.1.12]
[ebuild U ] app-text/docbook-dsssl-stylesheets-1.79 [1.77-r2]

and when I rebooted (after compiling my kernel and the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx modules) I found out X wouldn't work. I tried to start kdm (I still have my box start at a console prompt and manually load X) and the screen flashed blue a couple of times (which is different than usual) and then put up the nvidia splash screen, and then dumped me back to the console. I checked, and kdm was still running, so I killed it. When I typed opengl-update xorg-x11 I was able to get X to run again (and it still showed the nvidia splashscreen even though hardware acceleration was not working at this point), for a couple of reboots, and then it stopped again (no nvidia splash screen anymore, just dropped me back to console after about 0.5 seconds). So I edited xorg.conf to go back to the "nv" drivers and now X starts, but now my hardware accel is gone. Everything was working before these last updates, so I am guessing it is the xorg update. I found other people having similar problems, but they seemed to be for older versions of Xorg, so I'm not sure what is up here. I've tried a couple of version of the nvidia drivers, and a couple of different kernel versions, and they all seem to have the same problems.
nextekcarl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, and I wonder if part of the problem was that I upgraded Xorg while I was in an Xsession?
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Did you re-use your old kernel config for the new kernel ?
If not, all sorts of things might be wrong.

Why upgrade such a minor point ? It was working, yesno ?
nextekcarl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept all my old kernels, and even trying them I got the same thing. The only thing I haven't tried is reverting to the older Xorg. I upgraded as a matter of seeing the upgrades listed on an "emerge --pretend --update world" (I have cron check nightly and then append this to a text file on my desktop so I can stay current). I want to stay current as far as security and bugfixes go, and this is a testing system so I can learn more about Linux. I find I don't learn as much when things don't break, so I don't mind breaking them occassionally.
parsim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaptr wrote:

Portage is meant to allow for frequent, simple, painless upgrades. Half the Gentoo community does "emerge -uD world" every few days or weeks, and there's no reason why they shouldn't.
tplk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with NVIDIA grafhic card since I upgraded to kernel 2.6.12. I tried drivers from nVidia website, the installer didn't manage to compile the module. The same with nVidia nForce drivers (at least nvnet). With kernel 2.6.11 it worked.
So I can choose:
- 2.6.11 with hanging during shutdown/reboot
- 2.6.12 without nVidia drivers
pmperry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Xorg (x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r2 [6.8.2-r1]) nvidia Reply with quote

nextekcarl wrote:
I just installed the xorg update listed above from Portage, as well as these:

[ebuild U ] sys-libs/zlib-1.2.2-r1 [1.2.2]
[ebuild U ] app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r3 [9.0-r2]
[ebuild NS ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r4
[ebuild U ] dev-libs/libxslt-1.1.13-r1 [1.1.12]
[ebuild U ] app-text/docbook-dsssl-stylesheets-1.79 [1.77-r2]

and when I rebooted (after compiling my kernel and the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx modules) I found out X wouldn't work. I tried to start kdm (I still have my box start at a console prompt and manually load X) and the screen flashed blue a couple of times (which is different than usual) and then put up the nvidia splash screen, and then dumped me back to the console. I checked, and kdm was still running, so I killed it. When I typed opengl-update xorg-x11 I was able to get X to run again (and it still showed the nvidia splashscreen even though hardware acceleration was not working at this point), for a couple of reboots, and then it stopped again (no nvidia splash screen anymore, just dropped me back to console after about 0.5 seconds). So I edited xorg.conf to go back to the "nv" drivers and now X starts, but now my hardware accel is gone. Everything was working before these last updates, so I am guessing it is the xorg update. I found other people having similar problems, but they seemed to be for older versions of Xorg, so I'm not sure what is up here. I've tried a couple of version of the nvidia drivers, and a couple of different kernel versions, and they all seem to have the same problems.

Is this a 64 bit or 32 bit gentoo system? I know many of us are having issues with nvidia drivers in 64 bit but when I tested a 32 bit install I didn't have a single issue and I was using the 2.6.12 kernel with the latest system files.
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my 2cents. I was watching/involved in another similar post but it didn't ever come to a good resolution.
I have been experiencing the same exact issue as you. I upgraded to the latest xorg, kde and gentoo-sources kernel friday. Things seemed to work until I rebuilt the kernel. Of course it wasn't until then that I had to reboot.
The first error I came across was that /etc/init.d/xfs was looking for the font server in the wrong directory. I fixed that by modifying the script (should I even have had to do that?). But then I got an error on startup that the nvidia drivers didn't load. I made sure to rebuild them, and even (at the suggestion of another thread) upgraded to the masked version 1.0.7667.
That didn't seem to help at all. When I try manually installing (modprobing) the kernel I get a "FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (...): No such device.
I played around with some new options in the kernel about nvidia agp with no luck. Then I reverted to my previous kernel (2.6.11-r5-gentoo-sources) and that didn't help either.
I am in the process of rebuilding the previous version of xorg (6.8.2-r1).
Hopefully this will work. Using the lynx browser isn;t the most pleasant user experience.
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well reverting to the old xorg didn't work, but then I found a thread that suggesting I look at the output of dmesg. When I did I got a nice friendly message telling me that my device was only supported through legacy drivers and that the 1.0.7667 driver would ignore the gpu.

Its funny because I had unmasked that version at the suggestion of yet another thread to try and solve the original problem. I am unsure which caused the error first, the kernel, xorg or the driver.

My current config is as follows:
Code:
kernel=2.6.11-gentoo-r5
xorg-x11=6.8.2-r1
nvidia*=1.0.6229-r4

I am going try going back to the 2.6.12-r4 kernel and then maybe upgrading xorg to 6.8.2-r2 to try and isolate exactly which one caused the problem.
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what I think may be a solution.

After re-upgrading to 2.6.12-gentoo-r4, I lost my X again. This time the dmesg gave me a warning regarding rivafb, which I didn't have enabled in my kernel. But I did remember several new nvidia options appearing the first time I did a make oldconfig.

Code:
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA
CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA

I thought I had tried all combinations of these when trouble shooting before, but this time, when I turned off CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA (CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA was already off), my system was able to load the nvidia drivers. I then re-upgraded to xorg-x11-6.8.2-r2 and was able to reboot and start X and everything.

Hope this helps for you as well.

I sure would like to know what these options are supposed to do in real life :~)
tplk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnac wrote:

After re-upgrading to 2.6.12-gentoo-r4, I lost my X again. This time the dmesg gave me a warning regarding rivafb, which I didn't have enabled in my kernel. But I did remember several new nvidia options appearing the first time I did a make oldconfig.

Code:
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA
CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA

I thought I had tried all combinations of these when trouble shooting before, but this time, when I turned off CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA (CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA was already off), my system was able to load the nvidia drivers. I then re-upgraded to xorg-x11-6.8.2-r2 and was able to reboot and start X and everything.

I sure would like to know what these options are supposed to do in real life :~)

Disabling nvidiafb solved my problem with nvidia driver, but I still cannot get nvnet to work. I use now forcedeth instead.

-------- EDIT --------
I posted the problem with nvnet to linux-nforce-bugs and I got this reply:
The nvnet driver in 1.0-0301 is not compatible with the 2.6.12 kernel. This will be fixed in the next release of the driver.

Last edited by tplk on Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
nextekcarl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Code:
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA
CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA

I would like to try your fix, but I have no idea where those options are at?!?
tplk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextekcarl wrote:
I would like to try your fix, but I have no idea where those options are at?!?

These options are in /usr/src/linux/.config
This file is updated through make menuconfig. Do
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
Then go to Device Drivers -> Graphic Support and disable nVidia Framebuffer Support. (if it was already disabled, this was not your problem). Then exit menuconfig and on prompt save your config. Recompile your kernel. If you need help with this, follow instructions in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml from <section 5, Option 2> on.
nextekcarl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was already disabled, so I guess that isn't problem after all :( Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming! :lol:
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm grasping at straws now, but what version of the nvidia kernel and glx are you using?

Make sure your nvidia modules are actually loaded. It sounds like they are since you are getting a splash screen (on some occasions anyway).
Code:
lsmod | grep nvidia
If it isn't there, try to load the module
Code:
modprobe nvidia
and tell us what the output is.

Also check the output of your dmesg for nvidia related messages.
Code:
dmesg | grep -i nvidia -a4

While trying to fix my original problem (the nvidiafb one) I upgraded to the newest masked versions of the nvidia kernel in portage (after reading the suggestion in these forums). These drivers caused additional conflicts with my hardware that I didn't realize until much later and helped mask my real problem.

If you see something in the output of dmesg relating to nvidia incompatibilities, try using a different version of the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. I'm running fat and happy with the stable 1.0.6629-r4 release in portage.

On a separate thought, are you using the "hardened" USE keyword?
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parsim wrote:
adaptr wrote:

Portage is meant to allow for frequent, simple, painless upgrades. Half the Gentoo community does "emerge -uD world" every few days or weeks, and there's no reason why they shouldn't.

I'm not part of that half - I prefer my hardware to be working, not updating.
"Portage is meant to" blah blah blah - please.
nextekcarl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a AMD Duron processor, 32 bit, not using the Hardened USE keyword. I've tried the stable version of nvidia-kernel and GLX, and a couple of the "masked" versions, all with the same effect. When I have more time this weekend I will check out dmesg and see what's there. Thanks for all the help.
Caalvin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

i have also the problem, that X doesn't start after upgade to 6.8.2-r2.

The logfile tells me, that the module

libbitmap.a

could not be load, because of a different definitions of one variable.
Currently i am at office (where i am used to work with M$) and i can't remember the exact name of the variable.

Also i am using nvidia-kernel

greetings.
wklam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caalvin wrote:
Hi all,

i have also the problem, that X doesn't start after upgade to 6.8.2-r2.

The logfile tells me, that the module

libbitmap.a

could not be load, because of a different definitions of one variable.

I had the very same problem. Still can't get Nvidia module + xorg 6.8.2-r1 working. However, for the libbitmap.a problem that you are talknig about, I got around this with

Code:

USE="static" emerge xorg-x11

I put this in my "/etc/portage/package.use" with the same effect:
Code:

x11-base/xorg-x11 static

Somebody provided this fix at gentoo AMD64 forum.

After this, the complaint about libbitmap.a went away. But I still can't get the nvidia module to load at xorg.

It's a combination of
1) glibc-2.3.4.20041102-r1
2) xorg-6.8.2-r1
3) gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r11
4) nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx 1.0.7664

FYI, I am using amd64.

-William
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check your nvidia kernel against your nvidia board (eg check dmesg). I found out the hard way that the newest masked versions of the kernel do no support my GeForce2 TI, even though they support older/crappier models.
wklam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who are still having problem with nvidia driver and want to use X window. We can use the xorg nv driver temporarily.

This can be done by editing the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and change:

Code:

Driver "nvidia"

to:

Code:

#Driver "nvidia"
Driver "nv"

I checked my dmesg. lsmod and stuff. "modprobe nvidia" nvidia module loads successfully.

-William
wklam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

I solved my nvidia issue with xorg-x11

It's the gcc hardened thing which makes nvidia failed on xorg-x11.

Here is my setup:

xorg-x11-6.8.2-r2
nvidia-kernel-1.0.7667
nvidia-glx-1.0.7667
gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r4
gcc-3.4.3-r1

This is what I did to get the xorg-x11 to load nvidia kernel module:

In the file "/etc/portage/package.use" put this line in it:
Code:

x11-base/xorg-x11 dlloader

After this:
Code:

emerge xorg-x11

Of course, you have to build your nvidia kernel modules by
Code:

emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
modules-update

Make sure at file "/etc/modules.auto.d/kernel-2.6, you have one of the lines:

Code:

nvidia

Reboot.

This works for me. See if this works for you.

Good luck!

-William
Caalvin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wklam:
Thanks for your hint. That does the trick.

cheers,
caalvin
nextekcarl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this message when I type this: dmesg | grep nvidia

Code:
nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.

What does this mean? I am just using the normal gentoo kernel, and unless the normal kernel is now the Hardened kernel, then I am not using the hardened kernel. Oh, and this was with kernel 2.6.12-gentoo-r4 and the stable nvidia drivers (6629). When I try to start kdm the screen flashed blue for a microsecond twice and then dropped me back to the text prompt, and unless I kill kdm (or reboot) any further attempts to start it do nothing.
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, its not an error.

The NVIDIA kernel (from nvidia) is closed source. When your "open source" kernel loads it, your kernel is now using non-open source software so it becomes "tainted", i.e. not pure open source.

Many OS zealots (please no flames) are content to use the default nv kernel, even though ir doesn't have all (eg full 3d rendering). They would rather sacrifice some graphics capability than have a "tainted" system. It would be really nice if NVIDIA (and the many other proprietary driver writers out there) would open up their interfaces so decent os implementations could be made. I guess they are afraid they will give away some super-secret proprietary information to competitors by releasing a complete interface to the hardware, but if you ask me, its hard to tell whats inside the house by looking at the door :~)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: