grub weirdness
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclipsed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: grub weirdness Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is a grub issue or some other strangness but if I mount /dev/hda1 (where grub is installed) the directory tree seems to be endlessly dupilcated. For instance I cd'ed to /boot and saw that ls returned the same result as before. A quick pwd showed that I was indeed in the /boot/boot directory. I cd to boot about 30 more times and never saw the end of the tree. Is this some grub sprawl or some other issue. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but I'd like to know what the reason for it. TIA.
-Adam
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that happens for everyone ;)
Because in /boot there is a symlink which points to /boot again and again so you can access /boot/boot/boot as often as you like.
But don't ask me if that is grub-related or something - Before I started using Gentoo I always had used lilo, this endless thing came to my attention when I installed Gentoo but I don't know wether it's wanted nor if it can cause any problems (<-- don't think so that would be unrealistic)
tux-fan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think grub can't see the mount-point /boot it only sees hd0,0 (dev/hda1 in your example). So for grub it is a (hd0,0)/boot/... but for your Linux it is /boot/boot/...
The symlink ln -s boot . keeps the things as easy as possible for you because U can edit the data directly under /boot, not /boot/boot.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: grub weirdness Reply with quote

eclipsed wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a grub issue

Then you should try grub's manual...
http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.90/html_mono/grub.html#SEC112

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: It's a simple hack Reply with quote

I think it's a simple hack so that when you boot the kernel it doesn't matter if your current directory where you are mounted is / or /boot, you can still reference /boot/bzImage and it will point to the same place.

Phillip.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a simple hack Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think it's a simple hack so that when you boot the kernel it doesn't matter if your current directory where you are mounted is / or /boot, you can still reference /boot/bzImage and it will point to the same place.

Phillip.

I agree. One day I was feeling daring and deleted the symlink. Everything still worked. Mind you that could be because I do not have a seperate /boot partition. If I did, I would have edited the menu.lst file like so:
Code:
title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,4) (or whatever your boot partition is)
kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda5 (or whatever your root partition is) hdc=ide-scsi

The top half of the file would remain the same.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: