xorg-x11-6.8.99
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teoryn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: xorg-x11-6.8.99 Reply with quote

I've been looking around trying to get all the extra buttons on my mouse (Logitech MX1000) and keyboard working, and have mostly been working off of the guide at http://floam.sh.nu/index.xhtml?page=guides&section=mx1000. The problem is that apparently one needs xorg-x11-6.8.99* to get things working, but upon trying to emerge it I discovered it's in package.mask and the reason is "CVS HEAD snapshots". Looking into the Gentoo Handbook I see that packages listed in package.mask are known to be bad. So basically I'm wondering when I'll be able to emerge xorg-x11-6.8.99* or if there's another good solution to getting all my mouse and keyboard buttons working.

Thanks,
Kevin
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An all-mouse button howto here

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=46
genneth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: xorg-x11-6.8.99 Reply with quote

teoryn wrote:
Looking into the Gentoo Handbook I see that packages listed in package.mask are known to be bad. So basically I'm wondering when I'll be able to emerge xorg-x11-6.8.99*

The actual question's been answered, but I thought I'd just clear up a little. Packages.mask is "probably won't work, if if it does, don't expect an ouce of help from anybody -- and if you submit a bug report without intent of helping the dev solve it, you WILL get flamed to hell and back". It's just something to manage user expectations. Most users don't know the way to override it safely (except that google will give the answer pretty easily), so only the true hardcore users/QA volunteers bother. As too when you'd be able to emerge that particular version of xorg, the answer is never. The next stable (not hardmasked or ~keyworded) release of xorg from gentoo will be something in the 6.9* series (the upstream stable release) or possible 7.0* (if the developers are that sure of being able to pull a kde-split-ebuilds trick again).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: