Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Blockers in KDE 3.4.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
radfoj
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Posts: 490
Location: Tísek, Czech Republic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forged to mention one way - you can maybe switch this way:

Unmerge kdeedu and than emerge kdeedu-meta, so one by one, same for every other monolitic package (kdenetwork, kdeaddons and so - there are about 15 such packs.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gen2_guy22
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# emerge -s kdebase-kioslaves
Searching...
[ Results for search key : kdebase-kioslaves ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves
      Latest version available: 3.4.1-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 45,110 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.kde.org/
      Description: kioslave: the kde VFS framework - kioslave plugins present a filesystem-like view of arbitrary data
      License:     GPL-2


Code:

emerge -p kdebase

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1


Code:

emerge -s kmail
Searching...
[ Results for search key : kmail ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

*  kde-base/kmail
      Latest version available: 3.4.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 22,926 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.kde.org/
      Description: KDE mail client
      License:     GPL-2

*  kde-base/kmailcvt
      Latest version available: 3.4.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 22,926 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.kde.org/
      Description: KMail Import Filters
      License:     GPL-2



Code:

erge -p kdepim

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kdepim-3.4.1-r1


I will wait for the release of next ebuild then perform

emerge --unmerge kdebase
emerge --unmerge kde
etc-update

and then emerge kde-meta over some weekend. Hope that sounds about right..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carlo
Developer
Developer


Joined: 12 Aug 2002
Posts: 3356

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read The KDE Split Ebuilds HOWTO.

You can't mix split and conventional monolithic ebuilds. At the moment it's your decision, which you use, in the long run the monolitihic will be removed.

A point not mentioned in the above mentioned howto is, that Portage doesn't care about slots when deciding what to update. You can either remove all KDE versions prior to KDE 3.4 or add a couple of masks =kde-base/<monolithic ebuild name>-3.4*, so portage doesn't go wild because of trying to update KDE 3.3 ebuilds to 3.4.
_________________
Please make sure that you have searched for an answer to a question after reading all the relevant docs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1172
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my similar thread just got Dup'd, so I guess I should join this one.

I got to this situation (similar output to the above, OP here if you wanna compare) after doing the following:

1) emerge kde
2) emerge -C kde
3) unmerged all orphaned KDE-related packages I could find
4) emerge kdebase-startkde
5) emerged sundry individual packages, e.g. klaptopdaemon, kicker, konqueror, etc.

I contend, however, that my situation isn't really the same. Based on what Kulik advised in one of the other Dup'd threads:

Quote:
unmerge kdebase, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdeartwork, kdetoys, kdeaddons, kdeadmin, kdegames, kdenetwork, kdeutils, kdepim, kdeedu.


However, none of these packages, nor 'kde' nor 'kde-meta' are installed. I also looked in my /var/lib/portage/world file, and none of the above are listed there, only the individual app packages I emerged in step 5.

EDIT: Sorted now. One of the monolithics omitted in Kulik's list was still present (kdewebdev). Unmerged it and now emerge -uDp world is blocker-free. HURRAH!

To reduce the incidence of Dupes on this subject (yes, mine included, mea culpa) it would be good to have an *authoritative* list of the monolithic packages, which could be Stickied. Does such a list exist anywhere, or is there a way to generate it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Nov 2003
Posts: 5597
Location: Bizarro World

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin_it wrote:
Hi, my similar thread just got Dup'd, so I guess I should join this one.

I got to this situation (similar output to the above, OP here if you wanna compare) after doing the following:

1) emerge kde
2) emerge -C kde
3) unmerged all orphaned KDE-related packages I could find
4) emerge kdebase-startkde
5) emerged sundry individual packages, e.g. klaptopdaemon, kicker, konqueror, etc.

I contend, however, that my situation isn't really the same. Based on what Kulik advised in one of the other Dup'd threads:

Quote:
unmerge kdebase, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdeartwork, kdetoys, kdeaddons, kdeadmin, kdegames, kdenetwork, kdeutils, kdepim, kdeedu.


However, none of these packages, nor 'kde' nor 'kde-meta' are installed. I also looked in my /var/lib/portage/world file, and none of the above are listed there, only the individual app packages I emerged in step 5.

EDIT: Sorted now. One of the monolithics omitted in Kulik's list was still present (kdewebdev). Unmerged it and now emerge -uDp world is blocker-free. HURRAH!

To reduce the incidence of Dupes on this subject (yes, mine included, mea culpa) it would be good to have an *authoritative* list of the monolithic packages, which could be Stickied. Does such a list exist anywhere, or is there a way to generate it?

Can you post your last output when trying to emerge?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gen2_guy22
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record i unmerged the blocks and emerge the kde split ebuild last week. Everything's fine and I am waiting for the next release.:wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 1133

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have monolithic kdebase and kdeartwork,
all the other kde-apps (about 40 packages) are split,
and all working fine for now *cross his fingers*
_________________
Every day a new distro comes to birth. Every day a distro "eats" another.
If you're born distro, no matter what, start to run.
---- http://www.linuxprinting.org/ ---- http://tuxmobil.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Oct 2002
Posts: 1734
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
Please read The KDE Split Ebuilds HOWTO.

You can't mix split and conventional monolithic ebuilds. At the moment it's your decision, which you use, in the long run the monolitihic will be removed.

A point not mentioned in the above mentioned howto is, that Portage doesn't care about slots when deciding what to update. You can either remove all KDE versions prior to KDE 3.4 or add a couple of masks =kde-base/<monolithic ebuild name>-3.4*, so portage doesn't go wild because of trying to update KDE 3.3 ebuilds to 3.4.


Two questions. One, will monolithic be supported until 3.4 jumps to 3.5, or 4.0, whichever comes next. Second, will there be a "warning" for those of us who have "~ARCH" in our make.conf if support for monolithic continues into the next major version so we can switch at that time?
_________________
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carlo
Developer
Developer


Joined: 12 Aug 2002
Posts: 3356

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
will monolithic be supported until 3.4 jumps to 3.5, or 4.0

KDE 4 is far far away, Portage 2.1 (proper set support, confcache,...) will also take a while, so I don't think it would be sensible to strip the monolithic ebuilds too soon.

EzInKy wrote:
will there be a "warning" for those of us who have "~ARCH" in our make.conf if support for monolithic continues into the next major version so we can switch at that time?

You shouldn't rely on or expect warnings when running ~arch. :twisted:
_________________
Please make sure that you have searched for an answer to a question after reading all the relevant docs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Oct 2002
Posts: 1734
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:

You shouldn't rely on or expect warnings when running ~arch. :twisted:


Touche! That would take all the fun out of trouble shooting and experimenting. wouldn't it?
_________________
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTS
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 410
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the monolitic KDE and I had the same issue trying to make samba work.
Code:
emerge -pv kdebase-kioslaves

[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdialog-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.4.3)
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdialog-3.4.1  +arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdexdeltas -xinerama 21,907 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.4.3  +arts -debug +hal -kdeenablefinal -kdexdeltas -ldap -openexr +samba -xinerama 0 kB

I just added samba to my USE and I did:
Code:
emerge --newuse kdebase

This took only:
Code:
genlop -t kdebase
 * kde-base/kdebase
     Thu Mar  2 08:27:44 2006 >>> kde-base/kdebase-3.4.3-r1
       merge time: 36 minutes.

Which I guess is shorter than the total merge.

I did NOT unmerge kdebase. Just so you know, unmerging is useless...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum