stage 1 install, emerge -e system chokes on pam-login
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
appleshampoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: stage 1 install, emerge -e system chokes on pam-login Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm doing a stage 1 install on an old Pentium II, 350 MHz box. I had a slight problem syncing the portage tree due to (I think) network issues in my apt., but other than that it was going fine until emerge --emptytre system failed on sys-apps/pam-login-3.14 package. You can see the my errors http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~philbrna/build_errors2.txt (just the pam-login error) or http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~philbrna/build_errors.txt to see all of the stderr output form the entire emerge (there were no real errors before pam-login).

The output of emerge --info is at http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~philbrna/emergeinfo.txt.

I'm using -O3 in my CFLAGS, just for the hell of it...I'm mostly doing this stage 1 install just to learn about it, as I've only done stage 3 installs in the past.

Any help greatly appreciated, and also, supposing I figured out the error with pam-login, is there a way to pick up the build where I left off? pam-login was 38 or 39 of 108 packages I believe, and it had been running all night before this error, so just in the interest of time it would be nice if I didn't have to start from the beginning.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your emerge --info doesn't exist on that location, but the missing files that pam-login requires are given by sys-libs/pam. Perhaps it's a dependency issue: is pam already installed?

You can try to run emerge -e system --resume --skipfirst to see if it can continue without pam-login at this time...
appleshampoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the link for my emerge --info is http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~philbrna/emergeinfo.txt . (the post tried to include the period in the URL...).

Nope, pam-login and pam are both not installed, so I'm hesitant to try a resume skipfirst, since something dependent on them will inevitably break down the line.
appleshampoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so it appears there is a circular dependency, as emerge -p pam-login gives pam as one of the dependency packages, and emerge -p pam gives pam-login as one of the dependent packages. Has this happened to anyone else during a stage 1 install?
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this you'll "redo" the entire build process, but
Code:

emerge pam
emerge -e system

will (should) do the trick.

If you, however, could try
Code:

emerge -e system --resume --skipfirst

every time something wicked happens, and at the end of the entire Gentoo installation run
Code:

emerge -uDN world

it might work as well.
appleshampoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this:
Code:
emerge pam

failed in exactly the same way as the original build, as the first thing on the dependency list for pam is pam-login...

I'm proceeding with emerge -e system --resume --skipfirst, but I'm skeptical, as it only says it's going to emerge 15 packages, which is far short of what was left to do when pam-login failed.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When that command has finished, continue with the rest of the installation. But before you reboot your system (so before you exit the chrooted environment) run
Code:

# emerge -uDN world

in the hope that it will catch the missing stuff.
appleshampoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's what it's doing right now. We'll see how it works.
askartoeric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having exactly the same problem.

emerge --emptytree system right after I did a scripts/bootstrap.sh failed on pam-login-3.14.

I am kind of new to all this so i wasnt sure if I was missing a step or not but I follow the instructions a couple of times with the same result. Is this a problem on that package?

thanks
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT
1. emerge system -e --resume --skipfirst>build.lst
2 emerge --oneshot --nodeps pam
3 emerge pam-login && emerge pam
4 Then the the "for loop" below

You might try " emerge --oneshot --nodeps pam "and then emerge pam-login . Before you do that "emerge system -e --skipfirst --resume>build.lst" then if the when you get past the pam prob
Code:

for i in $(cat build.lst|cut -f2 -d "]" -s|cut -f1 -d "[");do  emerge =${i} --nodeps ---oneshot || exit 1;done

Last edited by hielvc on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
askartoeric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a common problem on the installation or am I doing something wrong. I installed gentoo 6 months ago with no problems.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the time of the moon , if a crow flys over ..... But recently there have been alot ciirculaur dependency probs. That why alot of peeps are doing stage3 installs. They are quicker and you dont bang into as many probs like this. Check out Stage 1/3 Install Guide
mahuani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem you are. I'm installing my second stage 1 gentoo and it craps out when it gets to pam_login. Have any of the posted suggestions worked???
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this sort of problem pkgA wont install because it needs pkgB and pkgB wont install because it needs pkgA. You have to figure out which is really needed. You "emerge --oneshot --nodeps pkgB " . The --oneshot keeps it from going into your world file and the --nodeps tells emerge to install pkgB without any of its supporting files. That allows you to install pkgA then you need to reiinstall pkgB wtih its dependencies. "2 emerge --oneshot --nodeps pam
3 emerge pam-login && emerge pam " . You then need to rerun " emerge system -e ".

The other stuff I posted above captures the pkgs to still be installed "emerge system --resume --skipfirst -ep>file.lst" . Why because once you run emerge again it resets its counters and loses track of where you are in the 1st " emerge system -e ". Then the circular dependency is taken care of " emerge --oneshot --nodeps pkgB && emerge --oneshot pkgA && emerge --oneshot pkgB". If you then run the for loop it starts from where you were until it finishes or something fails to emerge.
Azarah
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fixed now (bug #96209).
arjay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -e system has choked on just about everything for me. The latest being:
Code:

bashline.o: could not read symbols: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bash] Error 1

!!! ERROR: app-shells/bash-3.0-r12 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 127, Exitcode 2
!!! make failed

I used the Jackass! tool for installation, and while my system is up and running, I've never succeeded doing an emerge system -e once, much less twice as is recommended. The errors normally change with each attempt, either something is read-only or the File format not recognized...whatever, it's starting to repeat itself! It was trying for over 11 hours; I thought I had finally done it, but yet another error.

Assuming I've something borked in my install and want to reinstall; is there anyway of protecting everything I've built in my world? Like KDE, X11, etc, or I am better off starting all over again? I haven't had any problems with my system, it's doing what I expect of it, but I'm just afraid I'm going to select it one day and I'll get an error I can't resolve. It isn't critical, by any means, but if I can fix what I have, I'd rather do that.

Oh...btw, emerge -e system failed right after the installation and before I emerged anything else including X11, etc. But, the CLI was working so well otherwise, I just went ahead and started building. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

My make.conf:
Code:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -mtune=pentium3"
#
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -pipe"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O3"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fweb"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -frename-registers"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fforce-addr"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -momit-leaf-frame-pointer"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fomit-frame-pointer"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -ftracer"
#
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -mtune=pentium3"
ORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="nptl arts alsa avi bindist X cdr dga divix4linux dvd dvdread esd ftp gif g$
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub$
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="distlocks sandbox"
CCACHE_SIZE="512M"

Thanks!
arjay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
For this sort of problem pkgA wont install because it needs pkgB and pkgB wont install because it needs pkgA. You have to figure out which is really needed. You "emerge --oneshot --nodeps pkgB " . The --oneshot keeps it from going into your world file and the --nodeps tells emerge to install pkgB without any of its supporting files. That allows you to install pkgA then you need to reiinstall pkgB wtih its dependencies. "2 emerge --oneshot --nodeps pam
3 emerge pam-login && emerge pam " . You then need to rerun " emerge system -e ".

The other stuff I posted above captures the pkgs to still be installed "emerge system --resume --skipfirst -ep>file.lst" . Why because once you run emerge again it resets its counters and loses track of where you are in the 1st " emerge system -e ". Then the circular dependency is taken care of " emerge --oneshot --nodeps pkgB && emerge --oneshot pkgA && emerge --oneshot pkgB". If you then run the for loop it starts from where you were until it finishes or something fails to emerge.

hielvc

Trying emwrap now. My post above indicates the problems I've had with emerge system -e, so I don't expect emwrap to cure that, but thought I'd give it a try anyway. Thanks BTW! I'm sure it will be of benefit once I get my problem sorted out.

arjay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: