Dual boot windows / Gentoo on RAID 0 ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point and have nothing against you following Rawc tutorial. I was just trying to clarify your motivation for using genkernel.
Since you're trying to follow Rawc tutorial and that includes using genkernel, I'll have to skip this one. I assure you that it's not a question of unwillingness, but simply of ignorance. As I've stated before, I've never used genkernel before, so I don't know how to help you. Hopefully Rawc or any other member will be able to help you.
I'll be around if you need any more help. 'See ya' :wink:

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
rawc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping_Sloth wrote:

I'm not being told by genkernel that (post compile) 'could not find device-mapper source tarball /usr/share/genkernel/pkg/device-mapper.1.00.17.tgz. Please place it there, or place another cersion, changing /etc/genkernel.conf as necessary"'

Ok, I get what it's saying, but I did an emerge device-mapper, so building from source, yes?

In which case, I dont have a tarball for it, do I? or do i? lol

I ran into the same thing and had to copy tarballs for both device-mapper and dmraid into /usr/share/genkernel/pkg/. I forgot about this part too :oops: . If you look at the contents of /etc/genkernel.conf, you'll be able to determine the version of device-mapper and dmraid that genkernel expects to be copied over to it's directory. I think I had to go searching the internet for the source tarballs. For the dmraid source tarball, I would actually recommend downloading the latest one off the internet, and then change the version number in /etc/genkernel.conf so that genkernel uses the version that you downloaded. This will allow you to have the latest dmraid compiled into your initrd (which is good, because the dmraid package is still a work in progress).

Sorry I don't have time right now to help you with where to find the source tarballs, but I will in several hours if you still need help with this problem. Thanks for bringing these things to my attention.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split the thread. The gnome question is now here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-356189.html
oleo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMRAID tar: http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/src/dmraid-current.tar.bz2
Then it must be renamed according to its version and placed in the genkernel pkg dir:
Code:
mv dmraid-current.tar.bz2 /usr/share/genkernel/pkg/dmraid-1.0.0.rc8.tar.bz2

...and now go on with kernel compilation!
I hope it will work!

PS: After partitioning disk with fdisk /dev/mapper/blah_bla_blah0 new partitions I've created aren't shown in /dev/mapper. So I rebooted my machine...
I don't know if there's a command like dmsetup <some_option> that reload the partition table creating corresponding devices.
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, im trying to install gentoo on my friends computer here.

He owns a nvidia chipset board, and have 2 sata drivers in raid0.
He uses windows but have some free space on the drive to install linux, and im trying to help him.

Here is the problem, when i tryed to run dmraid -ay it returned me an error about saying that nvidia_aihdabbb is active.

with dmsetup mknodes it creates 2 'files' in the mapper/ :
nvidia_aihdabbb and
nvidia_aihdabbb1
doing a fdisk in the ...bbb one I see 2 partitions, but there are only a ...bbb1 file there...

tryed to add partition to the ...bbb where i was going to install linux but still the same, only see the ...bbb1 file there... no bbb5,6 or 7...

anyidea how could i fix this?
oleo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tscolari wrote:

Rebooting machine? Try to reboot and doing the same steps you have done exept than partitioning disk. After running dmsetup mknodes you should see all partition in /dev/mapper. Let me know!

Now I have the problem that my /boot partition is over the 1024 cylinder. (far away 25Gb) I'm not able to follow the grub installation guide without errors. I'm thinking to move my /boot at the beginning of the disk... other ideas are well accepted! :oops:
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oleo wrote:
tscolari wrote:

Rebooting machine? Try to reboot and doing the same steps you have done exept than partitioning disk. After running dmsetup mknodes you should see all partition in /dev/mapper. Let me know!

Now I have the problem that my /boot partition is over the 1024 cylinder. (far away 25Gb) I'm not able to follow the grub installation guide without errors. I'm thinking to move my /boot at the beginning of the disk... other ideas are well accepted! :oops:

yes it worked :)

just a last problem (I hope): i did the partitions and the last partition of the stripe I did from cilinder X until last, and that was suposed to be a big fat32 partition, but strangely i could not format it... I did formating for all the other partitions but this last the mkfs.vfat said that it cant for some geometry problem i dont remind exactly now... is there the last partition unsable always?
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tscolari,

look at the mkfs.vfat man page
Code:
# man mkfs.vfat
       -F FAT-size
              Specifies  the  type  of file allocation tables used (12, 16 or 32 bit).  If
              nothing is specified, mkdosfs will automatically select between  12  and  16
              bit,  whatever  fits better for the filesystem size.  32 bit FAT (FAT32 for-
              mat) must (still) be selected explicitly if you want it.

Are you using the -F option? If not, you won't be able to create a Fat32 partition and are limited to Fat16 limit of 2GB, I think.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
tscolari,

look at the mkfs.vfat man page
Code:
# man mkfs.vfat
       -F FAT-size
              Specifies  the  type  of file allocation tables used (12, 16 or 32 bit).  If
              nothing is specified, mkdosfs will automatically select between  12  and  16
              bit,  whatever  fits better for the filesystem size.  32 bit FAT (FAT32 for-
              mat) must (still) be selected explicitly if you want it.

Are you using the -F option? If not, you won't be able to create a Fat32 partition and are limited to Fat16 limit of 2GB, I think.

i know, i did it -F 32.
Fat 32 have around 40gb size limitation when creating in windows, but in linux its teoricaly unlimited, ive a 80gb fat32 partition in my pc...
i think the problem is more about the raid than the fat it self, anyway ill try to format it in reiserfs or ext3 to see what happens
oleo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Gentoo installed on your motherboard raid soluti Reply with quote

Some add on to rawc small tutorial:

rawc wrote:
Gentoo 2005.0 LiveCD (32-bit version)
    -Boot from the livecd
    -Run dmsetup at the command prompt
    Code:
    # dmsetup mknodes

-If your software raid was detected correctly you will now have devices showing up in /dev/mapper

You can now use fdisk for partitioning and other hard drive utilities on the /dev/mapper devices just like you would with /dev/hd* and /dev/sd* devices. NEVER access and write information to your software raid devices through the /dev/sd* device nodes.

Now I have to reboot my machine to let system see partitions I've created.
Then the next critical situation is grub installation.

rawc wrote:
Grub Installation
Code:

# Grub should not detect bios device names itself! Do this or be a fool!:
/sbin/grub --device-map=/dev/null
# (hd0,0) is the first partition on the first disk (from bios point of view!!)
grub> device (hd0,0) /dev/mapper/sil_adbibjadbcbab1
# (hd0) is the first disk (and thus containing (hd0,0) )
grub> device (hd0) /dev/mapper/sil_adbibjadbcbab
# That's it, the rest should be easy:
grub> root (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x4
grub> setup (hd0,0)
  [cut]
Done.

It's not simple to understand what you mean with "the first partition on the first disk (from bios point of view!!)".
My configuration is the sequent:
| /boot [ext2] | C:\ [NTFS] | / [reiserfs] |extended> linuxswap | D:\ [NTFS] |

But:
Code:

/boot   is   /dev/mapper/blah03
C:\     is   /dev/mapper/blah01
/       is   /dev/mapper/blah04
swap    is   /dev/mapper/blah05

So, inside grub console I was assuming my boot partition is (hd0,2) despite your (hd0,0) even if my boot partition is phisically the first partition in the disc.
I've installed grub in my /boot partition and then, by fdisk, I set the boot flag to the blah03.

I hope you'll write soon a complete tutorial on gentoo-wiki: do you need help (a part from english, :oops: ) ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: