Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delphiki wrote:
Not trying to start a flame war here, but I've got to disagree. Once you've got the codecs installed for Windows Media Player, it works much better than any linux media player, in my experience. Granted the EULA on it is one of the high points of Microsoft's evil, but for just playing avi's and mpeg's it beats xine or mplayer hands down imo when you've got the codecs installed (which generally just requires the Nimo codec pack).

I think it's a joke :)
I don't understand how windows media player can beats xine or mplayer, I have no problem with xine or mplayer with any type of codecs and they don't need to install additional packages like wmp needs. Just for playing media, between this 3 player, there is no differences on my screen or TV imo !

So in my first post I say that I prefer mplayer, but now, with the easy of use of xine with TV-out, I will use it for this features, in 2 seconds I have video on TV, very good !
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not trying to start a flame war here, but I've got to disagree. Once you've got the codecs installed for Windows Media Player, it works much better than any linux media player, in my experience. Granted the EULA on it is one of the high points of Microsoft's evil, but for just playing avi's and mpeg's it beats xine or mplayer hands down imo when you've got the codecs installed (which generally just requires the Nimo codec pack).

Things mplayer can do that Windows Media Player cannot, or not nearly as well:

* MPlayer doesn't ask you to drop your drawers with a EULA
* MPlayer can play Quicktime and indeo video streams, unlike say Media Player under XP (gotta like how they crippled out Indeo, even)
* MPlayer speaks ogg and xanim
* Uses less CPU (for me it is consistently lower on all platforms, equivalent media)
* Allows you to fiddle with filters if you are so inclined; allows much more flexibility in zoom/shrink/audio playback/any other option you can think of
* Can run without cumbersome UI or pointless buttons when necessary
* Mplayer can save out to different formats (animated gif as a weird example)
* Lets me skip the freakin FBI warning at the beginning of DVDs (oh no! that's like technically ILLEGAL!)
...etc etc etc...

I know what you are saying, that as an end user experience you feel windows media player is better than mplayer. All religous conviction aside linux versus windows, I feel this is *not* the case for me. Mplayer is my one stop shop that lets me do everything, media player is nice as long as I am doing it the One Right and True Microsoft Way. The only thing that media player does for me that mplayer does not is stream, and that's just because Microsoft managed to con a bunch of people into a proprietary streaming format, and then cleverly doesn't release the information to play it back on other platforms.

Anyway, I just thought it surprising that somebody would say this. For all but streaming I consider mplayer superior. But opinions are opinions, shrug.

-Twist
Berkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: My preference is Kplayer Reply with quote

I've tried KPlayer.. and I must say it work's quite well for me... although I didn't get it to run Real media files... Looks to me that Mplayer is probably the most used player out there... Just by counting the posts..

Thanx for all the answers...

Regards, Berkz
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mplayer is good in that it can play everything. Xine can't play sorenson v3 video files wheras mpalyer can. Also I have found a few files that xine can't play or can play but gives artifacts.

Xine is better for dvd playback as it has very good menu support. It also has a better user interface as you can toggle things like deinterlacing on the fly.

Ogle seems ok for DVD playback but is nowhere near as advanced as Xine in support for deinterlacing and surround sound.

I always have both mplayer and xine installed and between them I can play everything. I always use xine for DVDs.

Also as some else mentioned Xine will maintain the aspect ratio of the video even if you change the window size where is mplayer doesnt (which strikes me as being really really stupid).

An advantage of Xine over mplayer is that it is modular and multithreaded. Although there is a slight performance overhead for this it does mean it is easier to develop new plugins for it and in theory it will playback more smoothly than mplayer under heavy system load.
loco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i normaly use mplayer but i have some mpeg4 avi's where it starts lagging and i can play them perfectly in xine =)))
but both are way better then any windows player i have seen
maor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both xine & mplayer r good the only diff i see is that xine has a better gui.
Jowilly
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Xine is missing is the right mouse context menu.

This is why I use mplayer...

Its much more convenient and faster to use the menu if you are playing something in fullscrenn than to click to make the gui appear, look at the *small* button on the gui where the option you are looking for is, be precise with the mouse to click on the small thing and not miss it... etc...

When will xine have the right mouse menu so that it can get usable ?
Jowilly
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... and I forgot...:

MPlayer is the ONLY media player I have found with PowerDVD on Windows which has the PANSCAN feature (Windows media player doesn't have it...). You access it in preferences -> video.

This allows you to make the movie bigger without deforming it (ex: reducing the 2 black lines). The left and right borders are cut out, so you miss a bit of the whole picture, but the movie can use part of or the complete screen to play, without eggheads.

This is a great feature for 16:9 movies !

Xine can adapt a movie to the screen by stretching it out (with the A or S key I think), but then it is deformed... unusable again.
m3thos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: don't know how nobody said anything about a PROPER GUI!! Reply with quote

mplayer in my ibook sucks big-time.. can't compile it with any kind of usefull codecs..
xine.. plays almost everthing and well..

a consider both to be head to head in terms of codecs support and proper playback of severall of them..

although I find the mplayer GUI better, even extremelly under developed..
GUI of XINE is A MESS.. 3 windows are needed to open a AVI file.. or MPEG ..or whatever.. WHAT THE HELL!! this is CLEARLY A BAD THING
xine really need to get a proper GUI.. like.. for instance.. totem.. the one I use in the ibook now.

has for mplayer.. the resize without maintaining the aspect ratio is DUMB .. plain DUMB... and so is the fact that the GUI is allways in the lower right corner and allways hidden behind my kde bar... or any other window...

and come on ppl, we need to be fair and imparcial when it comes to silly things like theese... proper user interfaces are needed.. I don't use them mutch.. allthough they are usefull when I want a playlist of small videos to play or for some other minor stuffs... but that me.. and maybe a lot more geeks..
when it comes to ORDINARY PPL, or less geeky ppl, it would be so good to show them a player not only with good playback support for several codecs but some DAMM DECENT USER INTERFACE.. is it all that dificult?
Is it that NOBODY WHEN TO A class of "human-machine interfaces" where they explicitly stress the importance of a good GUI ?

btw, gentoo really rocks! .. and linux is the future.. hehehehe
guidodev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xine for DVDs, mplayer for everything else. Xine's DVDnav support is excellent, mplayer's versatility hard to beat.
dylix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modal wrote:
I use ogle for DVD's and mplayer for everything else.
Ogle is awesome, supports dvdnavigation and whatsuch.
ice_cool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I user Avifile and mplayer.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogle for DVDs
mplayer for everything else 8)

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
Berkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: I'm gonna check out Reply with quote

I'm gonna check out that ogle prog..

Thanx
Krookednek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running gmplayer, however whenever I try to make the window larger it starts to skip frames and tells me my system is too slow, which I know isnt true (running a Athlon XP 1700+ at 10x201 and a gf3 ti500). Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps I should try xine....
TheMole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krookednek wrote:
I have been running gmplayer, however whenever I try to make the window larger it starts to skip frames and tells me my system is too slow, which I know isnt true (running a Athlon XP 1700+ at 10x201 and a gf3 ti500). Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps I should try xine....

Since your video plays fine in it's original 1:1 aspect ratio, I think you probably are using the wrong vo plugin... (since the decoding, which is CPU intensive, isn't giving you any problems.)
Me thinks you don't have XV enabled.
cbreaker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way xine is designed to be a "media library" that you can draw on in many different ways.

Also, as a KDE user, the Gnome feel to gmplayer doesn't fit into my desktop. I like how xine-ui uses it's own skinning for things.

Someone mentioned Windows media player being better.. I need to agree. Although xine and mplayer are very good, and it's fantastic that I can play all sorts of media on Linux now, I don't really have much need for older or exotic codecs that maybe xine supports out of the box. Really, if I can play DV, DivX, MPEG, I'm good.

Windows Media Player also has some really easy features to copy media to your own little library. It Just Works.

But, I do like xine very much and I'm glad to have it. When the interfaces become a little more mature and add some cool features like media libraries, I'll be more happy with it.

It all depends on what you want to do. mplayer and xine are both very comparable. I like xine; the developers seem to be more friendly and the mailing list is very helpful.
bitMat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Media Player Reply with quote

Well I use both mplayer and xine. This is the great thing.... CHOICE...two great programs competing on technology not marchitechture. Long live Linux :D
Krookednek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xv is in my video preferences, so I assume it is enabled but I am not sure. How would I check to be sure?
htpc101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love vlc-0.5.1 for its ability to easily output dolby digital ac3 passthrough on my SBLive card with only menu clicks. It is a pity that this player is not in the portage tree yet. The only caveat is no DTS support yet, so I use Xine for that.
dl1vr8r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xine is by far the best in my experience. It plays everything I throw at it, including quicktime, DVD, VCD, streaming .asf, you name it. It would be nice if there were more skins available, but a couple of the default ones are nice enough.

Mplayer has given me a lot of trouble. I insists on starting in full screen mode despite telling it not too. Lately it insists on playing all quicktime movies at double speed, even when using mplayerplug-in.
jetblack
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dl1vr8r wrote:
Mplayer has given me a lot of trouble. I insists on starting in full screen mode despite telling it not too. Lately it insists on playing all quicktime movies at double speed, even when using mplayerplug-in.

You can override the fullscreen behavior (and a lot of other defaults) in /etc/mplayer.conf. Not sure about the quicktime issue, though.
VolcomPimp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know how 2 install the WMP9 codecs for Xine?
On their site it says you can externaly install them but they don't
provide them. I've got my winxp partition mounted if it's possible to extract
them from there.
thanx
stateq2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to tell the truth, i enjoy xine and mplayer equally.....but xine has more minor bugs to be worked out.
soda_popstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be all for MPlayer, but then it started being mean to me on my laptop (in the form of locking up the sound output until I restarted), so I started to look to alternatives. I really like Xine with the Totem frontend. It can play my DVDs well! And I like how I can open a new movie in Nautilus and have Totem start the new video.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: