UFS filesystem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ishkabob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: UFS filesystem Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Ok, I have an Ultra 10 running Solaris 8. I would like to install gentoo on the scratch partition of this drive without messing with the filesystem. I have figured out how to successfully share the swap from the solaris installation. However, whenever I mount -t UFS /dev/hda4, I can read the data, but I can't write anything. The mount log says that it is writable, but I get the following error

livecd swap # mkdir gentoo
mkdir: cannot create directory `gentoo': Read-only file system

Is there any way that I can write to this UFS filesystem? If not, can I format it as ext2 or ext3 and then restore it to UFS at a later date when I don't need the computer anymore (the computer needs to be returned the way that it was?) Any ideas are appreciated.
karnesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try mounting with the option ufstype=sun
ishkabob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I tried that, for some reason it didn't work. I did however mount it with the option ufstype=44bsd, and I was able to create a directory and put a small file in it. However, If i try to put something larger on the partition, it hangs. I think I might shrink the ufs partition (it doesn't really have anything on it), and use the extra space to make an ext2 partition. Once I'm done with the machine, i'll delete the ext2 partition, and restore the ufs partition to its original size. Thanks for the reply. Suggestions are still welcome.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: