Is there a boot disk?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acoromi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Is there a boot disk? Reply with quote

I'm in trouble with gentoo 1.1a.

I haven't network card nor CD-ROM autoboot. I need a boot disk !!!!

Anybody knows if there are a boot disk way to boot gentoo???

Many thanks to all.
crux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the boot and root floppy from http://www.toms.net/rb/ to boot up
rlyacht
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: using tomsrtbt Reply with quote

I also found these instructions, however they didn't work for me. The only problem I can think of is that tomsrtbt may not have all the stuff that the initial gentoo boot environment does. For example, it doesn't let you make an xfs file system. OTOH, it should do the trick, and i'll probably try this way.
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's truly great is the LNX-BBC (bootable business card linux, it's called) You boot the entire OS off the CD, even if you don't have a HDD - but you can mount your HDD part.s for maintaince/repair. Comes with X, blackbox, games, browser, network tools - all for a 50MB ISO!!

There's also linuxcare bootable toolbox. Same sh%t, different pile. Also - you burn one of these on one of those little 3" CD-Rs and you have an portable pocket OS you can use on ANYONE'S system without touching the HDD!! NEVER USE WINDOWS AGAIN.
rlyacht
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Cool, but I can't boot off a CD! Reply with quote

Quote:
what's truly great is the LNX-BBC (bootable business card linux, it's called) You boot the entire OS off the CD, even if you don't have a HDD - but you can mount your HDD part.s for maintaince/repair. Comes with X, blackbox, games, browser, network tools - all for a 50MB ISO!!

That does sound very interesting and I will check it out. In my case, though, I have a laptop with an external CD and I can't boot of it :-(
SkiingYAC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: link to boot disk with XFS support Reply with quote

I've successfully been able to install Gentoo on a pentium MMX using the boot and rescue disk found at: http://www.physik.tu-cottbus.de/~george/woody_xfs/
Yes, it is intended as a debian disk, but it is capable of starting the network for you and supports XFS, reiserfs, etc. One of the last choices on the menu is to start a shell. From there, you can start formatting file systems and extract a stage tarball (and start networking if you don't tell the boot disk to start it).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: