Updating DNS server record on DCHP *client* request
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndreR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Updating DNS server record on DCHP *client* request Reply with quote

Greetings everyone,

I'm totally lost here. I have a domain and a DNS server set up for it by myself. On the other side of the town, I have a machine (all Gentoo) running 24/7 that gets its public IP address by DHCP, from the cable company. I want to update an A record at my DNS server every time this machine recieves a new IP.

My previous solution was to use a dyndns.org service, and use a CNAME record at the DNS server, instead of an A record, but this adds an unneeded overhead in name resolution, and it would be more elegant to have the machine report its IP address to the DNS server.

I've tried to look around but I can only find tutorials on things with DHCP servers, which is not my case, since I am only a DHCP client.

Thank you,
Andre
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some more explanation might help us.

Why do you need the DNS entry for the remote Gentoo machine to be maintained on your DNS service?
Do you want name lookup for the Gentoo machine to only work for your personal LAN?

Are you trying to avoid using dyndns.org so you can maintain your own domainname? (eg. no @dyndns.org)

If so and you own your domainname, you can use zonedit.com and have entries for machines at several locations.
For example: I have 3 servers running in 2 cities and 3 locations. Using zonedit they are reference like this:
Code:
site1.mydomain.com
site2.mydomain.com
site3.mydomain.com

Of course you can change this as needed and even use different machines at each location:
Code:
server1.site1.mydomain.com
server2.site1.mydomain.com
AndreR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.

Headrush wrote:
Why do you need the DNS entry for the remote Gentoo machine to be maintained on your DNS service?
Do you want name lookup for the Gentoo machine to only work for your personal LAN?

Let me describe what I want in detail:
I have a domain, mesh2.com. Primary DNS server is athena.mesh2.com, fixed IP.
I have a server at another location, with a cable internet connection, and a dynamic DNS (ISP forces change every 3 days). This server is zephyrus.mesh2.com.

On the past, I had DDclient on zephyrus, updating mesh2zephyrus.dyndns.org, and at the DNS server for mesh2.com I had zephyrus.mesh2.com as a CNAME for mesh2zephyrus.dyndns.org.

I'd like to have a system where, when zephyrus recieves a new public IP address, reports it to athena.mesh2.com, which updates a DNS A record of zephyrus.mesh2.com for the new IP.

I'll have a look at zoneedit, but the idea would be to have the system maintain itself without the need for external services. At first, I though that it would be possible for the DHCP client to issue an rndc command to update the remote DNS entry, but that is apparently impossible.

With regards,
Andre
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndreR wrote:
On the past, I had DDclient on zephyrus, updating mesh2zephyrus.dyndns.org, and at the DNS server for mesh2.com I had zephyrus.mesh2.com as a CNAME for mesh2zephyrus.dyndns.org.

I'd like to have a system where, when zephyrus recieves a new public IP address, reports it to athena.mesh2.com, which updates a DNS A record of zephyrus.mesh2.com for the new IP.

I'll have a look at zoneedit, but the idea would be to have the system maintain itself without the need for external services. At first, I though that it would be possible for the DHCP client to issue an rndc command to update the remote DNS entry, but that is apparently impossible.

Actually, using a service like zoneedit would have less overhead and be more efficient than the model you listed.

Plus using zonedit would be more reliable and faster. You could than setup a secondary DNS service on your machine. You avoid the redirection using dyndns.org and your DNS service and your local LAN would be just as fast using the secondary DNS service running on your machine.

Remember, all DNS does is name-to-IP lookups. For most small networks the value of being the authoritive DNS service for a domain is over-valued. A more valued service is DNS caching which you can do several ways without being the primary DNS service.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: