Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Conky [Part 1]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Would Like support for wlan0 (essid) Reply with quote

I would like support for wlan0 essid

meaning I would like to be able to monitor what "essid" I am connected to through conky
paulb787
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb temp is 0 and cpu temp is 0 and birtrate 0 and network up 0 down 0
everything else works :(

WHY IS THAT OFF???
btlee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two batteries for my laptop. One has a small capacity, and the other has a large capacity.
When I change the battery from a smaller one to a larger one or vice versa,
conky tells me wrong information.
When I change from a smaller one to a larger one, conky still remember the information of smaller one.
For example, i get the message such as '200% charged' from conky.
Here is my brief patch.

Code:

--- src.old/linux.c     2005-11-16 15:45:32.000000000 -0800
+++ src/linux.c 2005-11-20 01:01:24.010000000 -0800
@@ -1100,6 +1100,7 @@
                                       &remaining_capacity);
                }

+               if (remaining_capacity == -1) acpi_last_full = 0;
                /* charging */
                if (strcmp(charging_state, "charging") == 0) {
                        if (acpi_last_full != 0 && present_rate > 0) {

However, still this patch has a little problem.
When I change my battery quickly, the information continues to be wrong.
Any better patch available?
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to get conky to work with double buffering and a desktop manager such as rox without it drawing over rox icons so that they dissapear?
drphibes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulb787 wrote:
mb temp is 0 and cpu temp is 0 and birtrate 0 and network up 0 down 0
everything else works :(

WHY IS THAT OFF???

you need to identify which of the i2c devices (/sys/bus/i2c/devices) are your temperature sensors, presuming of course you set all that up in the first place (kernel support). are you running lm_sensors? if not install that, following the directions carefully. on my box, /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-002d is where my temp info resides, with temp 2 being my cpu and temp1 being my mobo, so the conky var ${i2c 1-002d temp 2} displays my cpu temp and ${i2c 1-002d temp 1} displays my mobo temp.

the network stuff should work with no effort as long you specify the correct interface, e.g. ${upspeed eth0} and ${downspeed eth0}
drphibes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnychis wrote:
Is there any way to get conky to work with double buffering and a desktop manager such as rox without it drawing over rox icons so that they dissapear?

the only way you might be able to do this is to use the X composite extension and transset a conky window (own_window=yes in your .conkyrc) to some level of transparency. file managers that draw to your root window are problematic with conky.
ryoseph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: conky in own window Reply with quote

Brenden,
I set this option in my .conkyrc. So i suppose e17 writing to the root window should not be an issue...
Code:

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
own_window yes

PyroBor,
Great that it works fine for you! Could you post or pm you're .conkyrc so i can compare it to my own. And maybe also provide me you're conky startup parameters (preferably the ones in .xsession if you use that file)? Thank you in advance for that!

Does anyone using E17 and conky have the same problems as the ones i have?
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody noticed thats the longer up time you have the more amount of RAM is used.
when I first power up my laptop I start with about 68Meg RAM in conky.

after I surf the net or anything and then close those apps my RAM never seems to go back to its starting point.
limit223
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: Thank you for this nice program! I found it a great project!
I played a lot with variables, integrated programs and I can say I love it!
Here is my conky

myconky

I installed the last version of it and found in man description a new variable implemented tcp_portmon. I tested inserting a line in my file as
${color lightgrey}${tcp_portmon 1 1024 rport 4}

and the shown output on my desk was just written line as
${tcp_portmon}

Is this variable integrated already in conky 1.3.4, there are just some testing work ahead or I'm missing something in syntax?
Thank you in advance.
brenden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limit223 wrote:
Here is my conky

myconky

I installed the last version of it and found in man description a new variable implemented tcp_portmon. I tested inserting a line in my file as

${tcp_portmon}

Is this variable integrated already in conky 1.3.4, there are just some testing work ahead or I'm missing something in syntax?
Thank you in advance.

If you installed conky via portage, make sure the ipv6 use flag is disabled. A quick and easy way to do this:
Code:
echo "app-admin/conky -ipv6" >>  /etc/portage/package.mask
drphibes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limit223 wrote:

Here is my conky

myconky

${tcp_portmon}

Thank you in advance.

also look at the /usr/share/doc/conky-1.3.4/conkyrc.sample.gz.

at the bottom is a section with a more useful way to set up the port monitoring.

it will look like the bottom section in this screenshot: http://home.comcast.net/~phibby/desktop.png
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drphibes wrote:
gnychis wrote:

the only way you might be able to do this is to use the X composite extension and transset a conky window (own_window=yes in your .conkyrc) to some level of transparency. file managers that draw to your root window are problematic with conky.

that totally went over my head, what are X composite extensions?
shrimp123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,

i am using conky+fvwm. Athlon XP 2500+

conky on : 15% cpu
conly off : 1% cpu
(X seems to be using most of the difference.)
(yes, i checked both using top)

umm... seems like there is some cpu eating... would my conkyrc help to sort this out?
I have double buffer on, transperancy off, update interval is 1 second

thanks,
Shrimp.
limit223
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brenden wrote:

If you installed conky via portage, make sure the ipv6 use flag is disabled. A quick and easy way to do this:
Code:
echo "app-admin/conky -ipv6" >>  /etc/portage/package.mask

Unfortunately I'm not in Gentoo system, yet I came here 'cause I knew I'll have a quick answer. When I installed my system I turned off the ipv6 module from alias. The only problem I had with conky was just I omitted to configure with --enbale-portmon ( I didn't know at that time about this variable when I installed it from source)
Problem is solved now! ( I did a conky reinstallation)
Thank you a lot for your help..and I'll be alaws a conky user :)
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i set composite in X with:
Code:

Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "true"
EndSection

I then set own_window=yes

It doesn't flicker anymore and it works with ROX desktop, but now it literally has its own window and it has a title bar and it is in my task tray:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/conky.jpg

how do i get rid of the title bar and get rid of it in the task tray so it is a norml conky
drphibes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnychis wrote:
okay i set composite in X with:
Code:

Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "true"
EndSection

I then set own_window=yes

It doesn't flicker anymore and it works with ROX desktop, but now it literally has its own window and it has a title bar and it is in my task tray:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/conky.jpg

how do i get rid of the title bar and get rid of it in the task tray so it is a norml conky

Um, I dont think composite fixed the flickering, I think own_window=yes did the trick. I recommend not using the composite extension unless you need it to set transparency, as it can affect stability and performance. The window title bar and presence in the task tray and other things like "sticky"-ness across workspaces can be manipulated with programs such as devilspie or wmctrl. devilpie has a config file you write to tell it that, for example, conky should have no window decorations (title bar); should not be in task list and should/should not be sticky, etc.

The downside of own_window=yes comes into play for people who are used to right-clicking anywhere on their desktop to get a menu. With conky running in its own window, mouse clicks will not get passed through and right-click yields no menu. But, I seem to remember, that when using the rox pinboard for icons on the desktop, there is no right-click for menu anyway, so in your situation, own_window=yes + devilpie would be ideal.
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i'm trying to use devilspie. I emerged it and i setup .devilspie.xml, and heres what i put in it:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE devilspie SYSTEM "devilspie.dtd">

<!-- The root element is devilspie -->
<devilspie>

<flurb name="conky rules">
    <matchers>
      <matcher name="DevilsPieMatcherWindowName">
        <property name="application_name" value="monster - conky"/>
      </matcher>
    </matchers>
    <actions>
      <action name="DevilsPieActionSetWorkspace">
        <property name="pinned" value="TRUE"/>
      </action>
      <action name="DevilsPieActionHide">
        <property name="skip-tasklist" value="TRUE"/>
        <property name="skip-pager" value="TRUE"/>
      </action>
    </actions>
  </flurb>
</devilspie>

here is some debugging it prints out:
Code:

hedpe@monster ~ $ devilspie -a
Window title: "pastebin - collaborative debugging tool - Mozilla Firefox"; Application name: "firefox-bin"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "1672x967+1684+51"
Window title: "ROX-Filer"; Application name: "ROX-Filer"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "1680x1050+0+0"
Window title: "hedpe@monster:~"; Application name: "hedpe@monster:~"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "1678x514+1+1"
Window title: "hedpe@monster:~ (2)"; Application name: "hedpe@monster:~ (2)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "724x364+468+175"
Window title: "monster - conky"; Application name: "monster - conky"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "330x281+7+723"
Window title: " (3)"; Application name: " (3)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "834x24+842+1022"
Window title: " (2)"; Application name: " (2)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "834x24+4+1022"
Window title: "FvwmButtons-Music"; Application name: "FvwmButtons-Music"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "48x24+32+4"
Window title: "Desk 0"; Application name: "Desk 0"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "223x24+729+4"
Window title: "ApplicationPanel"; Application name: "ApplicationPanel"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "144x24+84+4"
Window title: "untitled window"; Application name: "FvwmIconMan"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "144x24+1468+4"
Window title: "FvwmButtons-Clock"; Application name: "FvwmButtons-Clock"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "60x24+1616+4"
Window title: "panel"; Application name: "trayer"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "2x24+1462+4"
Window title: "FvwmButtons-MainMenu"; Application name: "FvwmButtons-MainMenu"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "24x24+4+4"
Window title: "XMMS Equalizer"; Application name: "Xmms"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "275x116+67+515"
Window title: "XMMS Playlist"; Application name: "Xmms"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "300x232+67+283"
Window title: "XMMS"; Application name: "XMMS"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "275x116+67+167"
Window title: "hedpe@monster:~ (3)"; Application name: "hedpe@monster:~ (3)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "1669x964+4+51"
Window title: "hedpe@monster:~ (4)"; Application name: "hedpe@monster:~ (4)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "724x364+475+323"
Window title: "monster - conky"; Application name: "monster - conky"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "330x281+7+723"

however it does not take conky out of my taskbar or pager :\

What am i missing? I start conky after devilspie and even try using the -a flag
paulb787
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRPHIBES Thanks 4 ur help got the sensors working!! and they are pretyy acurate however what can i do to the network up and down working??

where would i type what u said??

${upspeed eth0} and ${downspeed eth0}
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnychis wrote:
ok i'm trying to use devilspie. I emerged it and i setup .devilspie.xml, and heres what i put in it:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE devilspie SYSTEM "devilspie.dtd">

<!-- The root element is devilspie -->
<devilspie>

<flurb name="conky rules">
    <matchers>
      <matcher name="DevilsPieMatcherWindowName">
        <property name="application_name" value="monster - conky"/>
      </matcher>
    </matchers>
    <actions>
      <action name="DevilsPieActionSetWorkspace">
        <property name="pinned" value="TRUE"/>
      </action>
      <action name="DevilsPieActionHide">
        <property name="skip-tasklist" value="TRUE"/>
        <property name="skip-pager" value="TRUE"/>
      </action>
    </actions>
  </flurb>
</devilspie>

here is some debugging it prints out:
Code:

hedpe@monster ~ $ devilspie -a
Window title: "pastebin - collaborative debugging tool - Mozilla Firefox"; Application name: "firefox-bin"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "1672x967+1684+51"
Window title: "ROX-Filer"; Application name: "ROX-Filer"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "1680x1050+0+0"
Window title: "hedpe@monster:~"; Application name: "hedpe@monster:~"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "1678x514+1+1"
Window title: "hedpe@monster:~ (2)"; Application name: "hedpe@monster:~ (2)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "724x364+468+175"
Window title: " (3)"; Application name: " (3)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "834x24+842+1022"
Window title: " (2)"; Application name: " (2)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "834x24+4+1022"
Window title: "FvwmButtons-Music"; Application name: "FvwmButtons-Music"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "48x24+32+4"
Window title: "Desk 0"; Application name: "Desk 0"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "223x24+729+4"
Window title: "ApplicationPanel"; Application name: "ApplicationPanel"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "144x24+84+4"
Window title: "untitled window"; Application name: "FvwmIconMan"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "144x24+1468+4"
Window title: "FvwmButtons-Clock"; Application name: "FvwmButtons-Clock"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "60x24+1616+4"
Window title: "panel"; Application name: "trayer"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "2x24+1462+4"
Window title: "FvwmButtons-MainMenu"; Application name: "FvwmButtons-MainMenu"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "24x24+4+4"
Window title: "XMMS Equalizer"; Application name: "Xmms"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "275x116+67+515"
Window title: "XMMS Playlist"; Application name: "Xmms"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "300x232+67+283"
Window title: "XMMS"; Application name: "XMMS"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "275x116+67+167"
Window title: "hedpe@monster:~ (3)"; Application name: "hedpe@monster:~ (3)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "1669x964+4+51"
Window title: "hedpe@monster:~ (4)"; Application name: "hedpe@monster:~ (4)"; Role: "(none)"; Geometry: "724x364+475+323"

however it does not take conky out of my taskbar or pager :\

What am i missing? I start conky after devilspie and even try using the -a flag

portage is way behind on devilspie. the author completely rewrote it for version 0.13 and the current version is actually 0.16. i recommend not getting involved with the old xml config. install the latest version, and use its new s-expression syntax.

The download site is here: http://www.burtonini.com/computing/

There is a gentoo bug for devilspie 0.16 (with ebuild) here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111983

You can also get more background information on "extended window manager hints," the bits that devilspie actually manipulates here: http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html

You're almost there. Just a little more homework to do.
drphibes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulb787 wrote:
DRPHIBES Thanks 4 ur help got the sensors working!! and they are pretyy acurate however what can i do to the network up and down working??

where would i type what u said??

${upspeed eth0} and ${downspeed eth0}

In your .conkyrc, below the TEXT line, add something like this:

Net Down: ${downspeed eth0} k/s Net Up: ${upspeed eth0} k/s

Painfully simple.

Refer also to the sample config in /usr/share/doc/conky-1.3.4/conkyrc.sample.gz
mordredP
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drphibes wrote:
The window title bar and presence in the task tray and other things like "sticky"-ness across workspaces can be manipulated with programs such as devilspie or wmctrl. devilpie has a config file you write to tell it that, for example, conky should have no window decorations (title bar); should not be in task list and should/should not be sticky, etc.

What software do you suggest to accomplish this task?: having xclock drawn in the root window (i.e. the desktop in xfce) without window decorations and not in tje taskbar or pager? Just like conky..
I have tried devilspie but the documentation is poor and i only managed to draw it without decorations and not in the background (root window) and not in taskbar/pager. I also don't want to install the non-in-portage version.. Is there a better documented software or some other way to do what i want?

Thanks
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it didn't seem to install a sample configure file, i have no clue how to use s-expressions to do what i need

the man page says to look at the document help, which was not installed
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am beginning to think devilspie just will not work for me and fvwm. If i do:
(if (is (application_name) "conky") (above))

it sets conky above all other windows, which is correct

however, if i do:
(if (is (application_name) "conky") (skip_tasklist))
or
(if (is (application_name) "conky") (skip_pager))
or
(if (is (application_name) "conky") (undecorate))

nothing changes about the window
btlee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnychis wrote:

however, if i do:
or
or

In the new version, conky's name was changed in devilspie.
For me, `hostname - conky` works well instead of `conky` in the configuration files of devilspie.
check the debug message from devilspie after making defaults.ds which include one line (debug).
drphibes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnychis wrote:

however, if i do:
or
or

The problem is your config and can be seen by putting devilspie into debug mode, where it displays information about all windows created. In your ~/.devilspie/ directory, create a test.ds file containing only:
Code:
(debug)
Now start devilspie in a term window on your X display. Launch conky with own_window=yes. You will see this line:

Window Title: '<machine> - conky'; Application Name: '<machine> - conky'; Class: 'conky'; Geometry: <etc>'

The issue is that the application name is not 'conky'. All you need is a ~/.devilspie/conky.ds file containing this single line:
Code:
(if (is (window_class) "conky") (begin undecorate skip_tasklist skip_pager))
or you could pattern match on window_name or application_name, like this:
Code:
 (if (matches (window_name) ".*conky.*") (begin undecorate skip_tasklist skip_pager))
Either of those should get you there.

Last edited by drphibes on Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: