Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SPARCStation 5, 128MB RAM, 1Gb SCSI hdd.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: SPARCStation 5, 128MB RAM, 1Gb SCSI hdd. Reply with quote

Hello,
I have an nice old SPARCStation with a huge 20" monitor wich I've been using for network monitoring with Solaris.
The time has come to export it to Linux. I know I can fit Debian in this one but I can't seem to get gentoo to install in a space under 1G.
Anyone here who has experience with an olg goldie like this one.
FLUG member 473
Luud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to install gentoo as well on a Sparcstation 5. I have 2 GB, so I should be fine here. You could try to put the distfiles on a NFS share somewhere else in your network, that will free up some disk space. OR fetch all the sources, put them on a cd and mount that under /usr/portage/distfiles

Good luck
Luud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you some additional information.

Just restarted installation of the sparcstation 5. After extracting the stage 3 tarball and finishing with the emerge sync, the root partion is filled with 624 MB of data.

The big chunk is in /usr/share/portage, with the distfiles directory still empty it already gobbles up 332 MB of disk space.

I'm now in the process of fetching kernel sources and stuff.

I think 1 Gb might be doable, just on the edge.

Cheers
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's to bad the portage tree has grown that much. But then again how often does one install on something as old as this one. If anyone has a SCSI hdd lying around mail it to me ;)
Oh well for the time beeing I'm just gona have to settle for something like Debian.

// Diezel
FLUG member 473
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Gentoo install on an x86 box (yes, I know, this is a sparc question not x86) and crammed it into ~350-400M. This is with /usr/portage NFS mounted, and /usr/src/linux still there (for kernel headers) after a "make clean". CFLAGS=-O3 -march=... you could get a little smaller with CFLAGS=-Os.

It's sans X however, really just used as a game server box. You could probably put X on it and end up with 500-800MB usage.

Sparc stuff shouldn't really be much different in size to x86 binaries. My sparc installs are on RAID-0 arrays, one is 4GB total the other is 6GB total. A more or less complete install for sparc64 is ~2.7G. This includes full, not-cleaned-up 2.6.4 kernel source, X, firefox, gcc-3.3.3, full /usr/portage tree, and all the stuff in /usr/portage/distfiles that I downloaded to install. It's about the same on my main x86 workstation which has pretty much the same stuff plus gedit, thunderbird, the UT04 linux dedi server and client, and a 2.4.25 SMP kernel (~3.5G total).
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once beautifully installed gentoo linux onto a Pentium-pro system, 133mhz, 64MB RAM, with a 1GB hard drive.

The way I did it was devious: I took a similar 166mhz system with more RAM, bigger HD...built everything. Made the install very minimal. Used -O2 of course. I had mysql and apache on it. No X. It worked beautifully. Then I put the 1GB drive in this machine, copied everything over, and popped that drive in the other machine, and it worked great.

:-)

Problem is, you probably don't have another sparc sitting around that you could do this on...your ideas seem pretty sane though. :-) Good luck.
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cazort wrote:
I once beautifully installed gentoo linux onto a Pentium-pro system, 133mhz, 64MB RAM, with a 1GB hard drive.

The way I did it was devious: I took a similar 166mhz system with more RAM, bigger HD...built everything. Made the install very minimal. Used -O2 of course. I had mysql and apache on it. No X. It worked beautifully. Then I put the 1GB drive in this machine, copied everything over, and popped that drive in the other machine, and it worked great.

Problem is, you probably don't have another sparc sitting around that you could do this on...your ideas seem pretty sane though. :-) Good luck.

The SS5 has been running Debian happily since the post above. Somehow I managed to mess it up now. Damn, the real problem right now is that I don't have a 13W monitor. I sold it with a PC. Damn.

Oh well, I guess I could retire the SS5 since my Ultra5 arrives this week. And next time my friend is visiting Germany I'll have him bring a Ultra 2 or 60.

Hate the sparc prices in finland.
FLUG member 473
Toady
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diezel wrote:
cazort wrote:

The SS5 has been running Debian happily since the post above. Somehow I managed to mess it up now. Damn, the real problem right now is that I don't have a 13W monitor. I sold it with a PC. Damn.

Oh well, I guess I could retire the SS5 since my Ultra5 arrives this week. And next time my friend is visiting Germany I'll have him bring a Ultra 2 or 60.

Hate the sparc prices in finland.

13W3 adapters are cheap on ebay ;) Always handy to keep one ;)

Gentoo Laptop
3.1.10-gentoo-r1, Intel Core 2 Duo (32bit)
Gnome on the desk, Intel in the box, on-board everything, but it all works!
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be, but I don't have a credit card, and I live in Finland. ebay.de seems to have alot of nice Sparc machines. So I'm stuck on trying to find stuff in Finland, and Sparcs are _really_ expensive here. Maybe I'll just have to take a chance and order something from Germany. It would really be nice to find a German friend who could translate and possibly help in fixing them to Finland. Well, maybe one day.
FLUG member 473
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: