View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows more or less is it's own platform. It has it's own executables and manages them differently. Even if the api (winelib) is just that, wine, the actual executable that runs the programs to use it is an emulator. The program asks for a specific library, and wine or cedega or whatever, gives it winelib instead. That's an emulator, no matter how you word it. And you may be right about VMware being a virtual machine, but it possesses several characteristics of an emulator. Pretending to be a machine that the softwre is not regardless of whether or not the fake machine is similar to the host machine... You can say all you want about it not being an emulator, but it possesses some characteristics of emulation no matter how you look at it. And even if only the tiniest bit of wine is emulation, being is an on/off state. It is, or it isn't. Tell me that wine doesn't emulate a single thing, and you're wrong. Just like vmware... It has some emulator like characteristics, I'm sure, but I've never wasted 400 dollars on it to know, nor am I a pirate, so I really can't comment on it.

By definition alone, vmware and wine are emulators. So is xterm, if you care to think about it. And I didn't attack you. I pointed out my beleifs, if you want to be rude, I don't need to speak to you. I wish people in my feild weren't so cruel to each other. :(

Quote:
----An emulator, in the most general sense, duplicates (provide an emulation of) the functions of one system with a different system, so that the second system appears to behave like the first system. (Contrast with simulation).

At least at one point in the runtime of wine, it abstracts something between linux and the windows exucutable so that it pretends something is something else (wines fake registry, for example, or perhaps it's an implementation, either way, it meets the description above) thus meeting a defintion of emulator. Parts of it are an implementation, I'm sure. But it's not what I'd call native, or even beneficial, really. And if it is a native API, it certainly isn't a good one.

Anyway, I'm done with this. I beleive it's an emulator, and you know it's an api. I do agree that it has potential of becoming an API, but as it stands, it's not developed enough to be anything but a sketchy poorly performing emulator that redirects all calls by the emulated program to a developing API in a self contained environment. Perhaps if you had been civil I'd have recieved your beleifs, but it's hard to be attacked and taught at the same time. Thanks for sharing, but no thanks.
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
Garvonis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rados_ wrote:
Have you removed the 60 fps limit before running the benchmark?

seta com_fixedTic "-1"

Since there are no .cfg in the doom3/base folder, if you install via portage, how would we apply such tweaks?
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm... Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:
Lith Maethor wrote:
not with hard numbers in hand at the moment, but from what i have seen Doom3 performs a hint better under linux in most systems i have seen it, nothing too obvious or spectacular, but a slight advantage on the penguin side of the spectre

Agreed. I never did any serious benchmarking on here but that was my feeling of it.

mnxAlpha wrote:
they use Microsoft's assembly syntax so can't be compiled under Linux

I won't pretend to be an expert, but I didn't think assembly code was OS-specific?

mabe it's because of a function that is not present on gcc (i know there is one but i must go to react-os website in order to find what)
this test is great...
it's a shame that nvidia has not relased the specifications of the cards...so there is no 3d open-source driver at this time
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: