View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Trying to find the right "Display Manager"...(SOLV Reply with quote

Hello All,
I originally installed KDE, but now I'm primarily using Fluxbox. I like the GUI login that KDM provides but I have no use for KDE, I want to get rid of KDE since it's only taking up harddrive space but I want to keep the gui login. I've also been experimenting with XFCE, but I seem to lean more towards Fluxboxs simplicity, in other words I like the fact that you can switch window managers with KDM and shutoff the X-server or the system all together. I've been trying to use Entrance but I don't know how to unmask the required ebuilds to get it to work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanx 8)

Last edited by southpaw on Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like GDM. I was using it with Xfce before GNOME. :|
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but can you install it without all of the GNOME stuff??
Sodki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
Yeah, but can you install it without all of the GNOME stuff??

See for yourself:
$ emerge -pv gdm

You can algo try wdm, but i've never tried. I've always felt happy with gdm.
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey There Sodki,
Ya know, it's funny how simple a solution can be reached from an alternate perspective :oops: . Take your suggestion for instance, (straight forward and simple) here I was trying to find a simple login app (a.k.a. display manager) so that I could avoid wasting too much harddrive space on a desktop environment I never use, many hours searching the forums and different and several sites sifting through random doc's in hopes that I find a solution. Then of course I recieve your suggestion, and it dawned on me that I never even bothered to try to emerge the said display manager seperate from the desktop environment :oops: (duh). I had first tried it with KDM only to find that certain ebuilds were still masked on account of KDE 3.4 still being tested, so then I tried GDM and to my surprise not only was it simple to install, but it was only a little over 9mb 8O . I also definitely like that GDM offers more tweakability than KDM, now I can finally get rid of that pesky resource hog KDE :D . Thanx
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, this is an oldish thread, and marked SOLVED too...but i've just discovered something relevant and cool, and didn't want to start a new thread.

if you're using xfce, and you simply want to get in quickly (i.e. don't need options for different sessions, languages etc.) then plain old xdm works really nicely with xfce4. if you have/grab the "xv" tool for displaying images, you can add the following line to the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 file:
Code:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xv -root -rmode 5 -quit /path/to/image.jpg

obviously you need to edit Xresources too so that the login box fits with whatever background image you're using, but the cool part is this: if you use the same image as your xfce desktop background, the transition from xdm to xfce is seamless. when you login, the second you hit "enter", your panel & taskbar pop up and that's it...there's not so much as a flicker to show you're moving from xdm to xfce.

the effect of this is that you feel as though you're already in your desktop environment as soon as you're in xdm. you could enhance this effect even more by using a screenshot of your desktop as the xdm background! since xdm is so light, this basically gives you a login manager that doesn't even feel like it's there at all.

of course, the transition might not be as seamless on other systems...mine is quite fast...but certainly here it's the nicest login to X i've ever seen.

[edit] only catch is that xv is "shareware". anyone know of a GPL app that can do the same thing (slap an image on the x root window from xdm)? if not, i guess i'll register xv...it's completely transformed sucky old xdm.
metalifloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_irl wrote:
only catch is that xv is "shareware". anyone know of a GPL app that can do the same thing (slap an image on the x root window from xdm)? if not, i guess i'll register xv...it's completely transformed sucky old xdm.

Yes, you can use a program called feh. Or if you have fluxbox you can simply use fbsetbg.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: