Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
emacs all the way, but well its difficult to learn all short-cuts, but in the end this will aid in better performance, using the mouse everytime it just aiding in RSI :lol: , I love emacs, but for most users I would recommend AbiWord (not openoffice (too slow, but great with microsoft files)), recommend, um that's a big word I don't even have it compiled myself.

Should 've minded my own business, lX

Oh my, not the text editor thread again!!

for the record. I have been a vi user for years, after being an emacs user for a while. Recently I tried using emacs, and even with the capslock key remapped to control, I started feeling "emacs pinkie" after just an hour or so.... :roll:
Discount_God
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Emacs Reply with quote

Emacs is the only editor you ever need. Vi and it's variants are incredibly obtuse and counter-intuitive.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a notice to keep the discussion germane to the topic. I don't really want to lock this thread because it's the original text editor thread, but if it turns into a holy war or flame fest it's going to get locked. Try and provide something substantive and don't feed the trolls. Thanks! :)
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedit is a great editor, and I used it for awhile, and since it's java it's cross compatible and you can use it on any OS. Since I love to do my coding in gnome and would like to make things for gnome anyway, Anjuta is the best thing I've seen that's native (which means it's a bit faster, yes), and it supports Java (my language of choice) as well as C++; Jedit is good for java but does not really have C++ support (the editor does, but there aren't any compiler plugins, debugger plugins etc. for it). So, if you want something that is integrated into gnome and looks nice, with project support etc., anjuta is the way to go.

I've always hated VIm but I haven't used it for years, so I'm going to say I'm not educated in the program. Emacs was much easier to pick up, but not my cup of tea.
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I learned vi in 1981, so I've got a lot of investment into it. And I do like vim and gvim. They're very nice.

Pretty much, what you should do is try out emacs and vim, see what sings to you more.

And you should learn the basics of both, just in case you get stuck on a system which is lacking one. (At least until you get around to installing the right one)
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For simple editing, kedit on the desktop and mc on the console. For code, kdevelop and rhide.
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerg'ing Jedit now... I had this on Windows, and it was my favorite editor.

Kate is a nice replacement, but it seems to suffer the same flaw that JEdit had in Windows.

I have a habit of sometimes holding "shift" while trying to do Backspace, and both JEdit and Kate block this action, and do not delete any characters.

Can this be altered?
PlatinumCursor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I cant live without vim for console and emacs for X. A unbeatable combination for pretty much everything.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that search few months ago, I finally choose Scite.

Scite : a very light weighted editor, but with syntax highlighting, customizable by language, user or/and directory where you work. Very convenient folding. Buffering of files. and much more... I really look for the next Gnome2 release, but the GTK1 version is already very good. Only bad point for me, the lack of a file browser or project manager-like browser.

Not to start a war, just to mention, for newbies like me, vi, emacs ... are just too complex to use and impossible to learn in a reasonable amount of time.

PS: I still use vi to edit config files and simple script or to work in the console.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nedit & nano, although im thinking about (g)vim and (x)emacs

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nano

:|

and kate sometimes, until i get used to tha xemacs.
nano rox!
(yes yes i do)

:D

Get lost before you get shot.
petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: emacs for editing Reply with quote

I use emacs for writing code(IMHO RCS+Emacs is very powerful). But it's not that one editor would be better than another one. I just have more experience from emacs than for example Vim and I dont' want to use time to learn a new editor. But let's NOT make this thread a war emacs vs. Vim vs. some other editor.
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use pico in commandline, should learn vi but too lazy ;-) In gnome I use xedit. For real word processing AbiWord, and yes, finally for PHP / HTML... I use... Dreamweaver MX :-) It's still the best program for me, nice upload function, syntax highlight, ... Since wine doesn't work for me, for little, fast adjustments I boot up a VMWare, but when I got a big job planned, I reboot to my windoze. * hears faint hissing sounds and decides to run for his life :-)
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: I like Kate, but learn at least vi... Reply with quote

Personally, Kate & its like are fine for text editing. I like Quanta for php stuff (funny, my main two "editing" apps are KDE, and I run Gnome... so much bloat for two apps 8O )

However, you should learn vi. A default install of any Linux flavor may be overflowing with editor choices, but do a default of some BSD & you will find a little knowledge of vi will go a *long* way.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matje wrote:
...and yes, finally for PHP / HTML... I use... Dreamweaver MX :-) It's still the best program for me, nice upload function, syntax highlight, ... Since wine doesn't work for me, for little, fast adjustments I boot up a VMWare, but when I got a big job planned, I reboot to my windoze. * hears faint hissing sounds and decides to run for his life :-)

blood...blood...blood... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

have you tried bluefish?

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, not a flame-war but I never put my finger on exactly what was so great about vi.
Used to wordstar keybindings, I used joe as an editor since my first linux days and it never left me since (one of the first things to emerge).
I highly recommend it to any newbie and pro.
And as I learned in this thread there is scite for linux so I'm going to emerge that right now :) Wonderful editor and fast too.
Just my $0.02
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zypher wrote:
Ok, not a flame-war but I never put my finger on exactly what was so great about vi.

I don't know if joe has this feature or not, but my favorite thing about vi is the command buffers. It's a simple concept, but incredibly useful. If you are not familiar with vi, there are two modes: command-mode and insertion mode. You, uh, do commands in command mode and, uh, insert text, in insertion mode. :) The thing that bothers most people is switching back and forth between the two. Once you get the hang of that you can use something called command buffers. Basically, you store a sequence of commands (possibly including text entry) in a buffer and you can then execute the entire sequence again by simply pressing two keys. It's very useful if you want to do something over and over again. I use it to comment out things in C programs and for a myriad of other tasks.
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using jEdit alot lately, very nice editor. Syntax highlighting, folding, plugins for project management, compiling etc... So yeah for coding useually jEdit or vim. For simple everyday tasks, usually nano or vim again.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the reasons why _I_ use vim, part of it simply has to do with the fact that it's a modal text editor. Switching from modeless editors like nano to a modal one (or vice versa) is hard, but once you get in the thinking of a modal editor, it's actually really nice. Much fewer chorded keystrokes, which is much less fatiguing on the hands.

OTOH, I can't recommend that anyone learn vi/vim who already have an editor they like. Why? The learning curve is extreemly steep, and the advantages can really only be realized after spending a lot of time just learning the editor (and configuring it - default configurations of vi clones are reprehensable). Everything is totally counterintuitive to those who haven't used a modal editor before (though vim has made some strides to improve this such as virtualedit and making arrow keys usable in insert mode). Most users will walk away in frustration before they even get started.

If you're willing to take the time to learn it, you get a full featured text editor (syntax highlighting, column marking, folds, really advanced search/replace, integration with your compiler, etc. etc. etc.) plus the powerful, if esoteric, real-time editing command construction.
!k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everything is totally counterintuitive to those who haven't used a modal editor before (though vim has made some strides to improve this such as virtualedit and making arrow keys usable in insert mode). Most users will walk away in frustration before they even get started.

I agree with Phong, when I was in college and first encountered vi I was horrified! I guess I thought, its kinda simpletext like (I was a mac guy) but not...

Now I use vim and gvim and am too hooked to think of trying the myriad of options.

My question is this: would gvim lower the learning curve for vim? A noob could use the mouse for a lot of stuff, and then discover the keyboard way at his own pace. I'm sure in time he wouldn't touch his mouse and would love it. Has anyone got the vi intro though gvim?
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:

have you tried bluefish?

Yes I did
eryvile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lasa wrote:
Nothing beats kate and kdvi when it comes to LaTeX editing!

I haven't tried that combination yet, so far I'm using ktexmaker2 for the LaTeX-stuff.

For everything else? Well, whatever comes around, i.e. is available, although I prefer it small and handy, therefore (x)emacs is often a little bit oversized :( But I really do like its potential :wink:
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread with some level of amusement, and must make my crash to the party now.

As an avid supporter of vi/vim/gvim, of course my first instinct would be to go with one of those, but does no one recall the title of this thread? "The best GUI editor" or something of the sort... *sigh*. Sadly, my absolute favorite is not a GUI, unless you go to gvim or some such. Yes, you can argue for Xemacs, gedit, kate, kedit, notepad under wine, whatever as GUI editors, but do remember -- the original request was for something presumably equivalent to Notepad.

/me -$0.02
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really it is down to how you would use them.

For mutt, I use nano because it's quicker and nippy to get emails done and For coding, I use vim over ssh if I'm editing elsewhere and gvim on the desktop.

I've tried bluefish a while ago and got put off with it constant crashing and not being corrective w3c validator. I think I will install and see what they've done but chances are that I'm sticking to the 'vim' family.

-/Craigo/-

Please.. no wars on text editors. Everyone got their own liking, now leave them alone ;)
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to retract my Vote for Quanta for HTML/PHP. Its got a nasty nasty bug that really screws up the text on the screen... I can't really explain it any better than that, it just doesn't display text properly, which you'd think is pretty critical of a text editor.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: