View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitano
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the difference between my two system, of which the latter one had no problems to revdep-rebuild, differ in USE-flags in the following way:

the problematic one:
Code:
USE="X -gpm -apm -gnome -arts -oss -esd java tpctlir aalib sse mmx mmx2 divx4linux alsa acpi kde nptl apache2 gd jpeg ithreads php perl gtk dvd gps opengl pcmcia pam quicktime samba sasl mysql xvid kerberos mbox winbind ldap xosd snmp vhosts mozilla"

and the piece of cake:
Code:
USE="-* nptl ithreads apache2 postfix mysql perl php kerberos pam png jpeg gif gd berkdb ssl pdflib tiff tcpd ldap xml samba winbind sasl"

now what could this be making kerberos crack?

anyone?

only in case you were going to ask what it is...
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a hint from zmedico, that it is essential to use gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre3, the older versions in the portage are b0rked and could not find the breakege. This is a masked release so you must unmask it to install, but I could confirm that it works without a hassle.
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
jphelps
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: 'Fixed' revdep-rebuild problem Reply with quote

Well I'm using gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre3 on two different systems and it does not work. On one it detects no breakage at all (but it's certainly broken) and on the other it detects lots of broken packages but decides at the end everything is fine and does no rebuilds.

Update: I've been having problems with a update world regarding some masked python builds being required for other things, etc. Since this was fallout from a masked packaged I don't care about, I updated my package masks for these other problems and did a emerege -uD world to clean up, then re-emerged com_err, and now revdep-rebuild works normally and my system is working as it should so far.

This is not much of a 'fix' but it did resolve the issue for me. I suspect there is a deadlock of some kind in some of the masked packages I was using that was the root cause of the revdep-rebuild issue.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok same bug on STABLE amd64... ssh broken !!

Going back to previous e2fsprogs did not solve problem. com_err was emerged but does not contain the library required (contains .2 not .3)

Any idea for a quick fix, my work is based on use of ssh.... I used the "ugly hack" mentionned - is it safe ?
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikshaar wrote:

Going back to previous e2fsprogs did not solve problem. com_err was emerged but does not contain the library required (contains .2 not .3)

Any idea for a quick fix, my work is based on use of ssh.... I used the "ugly hack" mentionned - is it safe ?

Perhaps you should also file a good bug report so your arch maintainers can take a crack at it. If it isn't a "local" issue, then you'll be helping to solve every AMD64 users issue :).
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikshaar wrote:

Is this really a bug in the com_err build or just a problem with revdep-rebuild? When libraries are upgraded to incompatible versions it is always necessary to revdep-rebuild the packages that link against them. Is this something more than that? Make sure that you've tried the *latest* revdep-rebuild (gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre3).

openssh 4.0_p1 stops functioning after emerged sys-libs/com_err-1.37 package
libcom_err.so.2 from e2fsprogs 1.37 breaks mit-krb5-1.4
jphelps
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zmedico wrote:

Is this really a bug in the com_err build or just a problem with revdep-rebuild? When libraries are upgraded to incompatible versions it is always necessary to revdep-rebuild the packages that link against them. Is this something more than that? Make sure that you've tried the *latest* revdep-rebuild (gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre3).

openssh 4.0_p1 stops functioning after emerged sys-libs/com_err-1.37 package
libcom_err.so.2 from e2fsprogs 1.37 breaks mit-krb5-1.4

The latest gentoolkit is at 0.2.1_pre4 and it still does not properly detect all library incompatabilities on one of my systems. The work-around I posted above does not work either.
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked better on my alpha. revdep-rebuild detected samba, openssh and gnome-vfs breakage. Don't know how much there is left, but it was better than on the x86es.
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zmedico wrote:
Is this really a bug in the com_err build or just a problem with revdep-rebuild?

Well, kinda both I guess.

As far as I understood the new mit-krb5 came with a modified libcom_err, but it is not getting used on Gentoo to avoid having multiple (different) versions of the same library. Which is a mess, of course. If anybody starts dishing out his own version of a common library, we're almost at Windoze's DLL hell ;-)
aceFruchtsaft
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also happend to me after upgrading to app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.4.1.

Therefore, you could just mask everything above 1.4.0:

Code:

/etc/portage/package.mask:

>=app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.4.0

Then, unmerge the packages causing problems:

Code:

emerge -C mit-krb5 ss com_err

An reemerge the old mit-krb5 package:
Code:

# emerge -p mit-krb5

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.3.6-r2 

Worked for me.
chtephan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the problem is that the old mit-krb5 came with its own libcom_err.so with the major version 3. Of course, other applications would link against this one instead of the libcom_err.so.2 from the com_err ebuild (former e2fsprogs).

You need to recompile all programs that linked against libcom_err.so.3 using revdep-rebuild (with a working version, of course). In my case I needed to compile mit-krb5-1.4.0 twice because it linked against its already installed version which was then removed during unmerge. Crap. ;)
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Wow, this is major. Reply with quote

Wow, this is a MAJOR problem. As someone else reported, I am certainly glad I did this on a local test system before applying anything to production systems remotely! (of course) Many core services have been borked, including SSH. Reconnecting after this foolishness may not have been possible.

I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more play in bugzilla and the forums than it has (but it HAS received quite a bit).

In any case, thanks to all for the information in this thread. BTW, my revdep-rebuild worked properly and detected 10 different packages that were disabled due to this problem.
RabbidFrogLobotomy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and couldn't revdep-rebuild because the emerge failed.

srlinuxx, your hack worked like a charm and let me revdep-rebuild afterwards.
Thanks a billion.
ph03n1x
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm really an annoying issue

I did what aceFruchtsaft wrote, worked here, thx ;)
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chtephan wrote:
Yes, the problem is that the old mit-krb5 came with its own libcom_err.so with the major version 3. Of course, other applications would link against this one instead of the libcom_err.so.2 from the com_err ebuild (former e2fsprogs).

You need to recompile all programs that linked against libcom_err.so.3 using revdep-rebuild (with a working version, of course). In my case I needed to compile mit-krb5-1.4.0 twice because it linked against its already installed version which was then removed during unmerge. Crap. ;)

The even more unfortunate thing is that samba does no longer work correctly (in ADS mode) with mit-krb5-1.4.1. I filed a bug about that and am currently in the process of downgrading to 1.3.6-r2.

Great sports :(
seemant
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Kang showed me this forums thread. Man, it seems like I break more of you each time I adjust something. So, just to set the record straight about why this silliness/foolishness even occured:

mit-krb5-1.3 and 1.4 both had serious security vulnerabilities in them. We patched those just fine. Meanwhile, there was this issue of libcom_err and libss being provided by three packages: heimdal, mit-krb5 and of course e2fsprogs. The one from e2fsprogs is generally considered the canonical one and is used as the default system libs in most distros. Gentoo had a constant situation of one package's upgrade overriding anothers. So, we decided to break out ss and com_err into their own ebuilds (provided by the e2fsprogs sources) and let all three just depend/rdepend on them instead. That way, with some clever configuration scripts and patching, we were able to have no more overwriting.

Now, on the one hand, had we left things as they had been, the next e2fsprogs update would've broken people.

So, having said all this -- heimdal and mit-krb5 both had testing versions that depended upon the broken out libs, but due to multiple security vulnerabilities in each (and one more coming soon) they *had* to get upgraded. I was left with the following choice: continue broken behaviour of lib overwriting, leading to problems sporadically with e2fsprogs or mit-krb5's update breaking other things, or do the separate libs thing and issue revdep warnings? I opted for the latter.

But now in this thread I see that revdep-rebuild doesn't even work. For those willing does:

revdep-rebuild --soname libcom_err.so.3 work? Because if so, I'll happily change the postinst messages to be more specific.

Again, I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience.
seemant
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey, listen everyone, one more thing: just send me an email or file a bug report or put a "me too" in an existing bug report (and make sure I'm on it) if you see me break other things on your system. Seriously, I didn't know the extent to which people were suffering until kang showed me this thread.

Also, even when you do cc me on a bug please do come to irc and give me a nudge (my email is not fully up yet, until my mythical dev. box arrives from LA). In the meantime I just ssh into dev.g.o to check my email and hence I'm not reading bugs emails or mailing list emails, but I *AM* reading personal emails. So just send me an email with a buglink and let me know.
octanez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an AMD64 system, I needed to re-emerge com_err-1.37 to get things working again, noticed this warning after it rebuilt:
Code:
 * PLEASE PLEASE take note of this
 * Please make *sure* to run revdep-rebuild now
 * Certain things on your system may have linked against a
 * different version of com_err -- those things need to be
 * recompiled.  Sorry for the inconvenience

running revdep-rebuild now.
seemant
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'd put that message in there last week or maybe before.
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the follow-up Reply with quote

seemant wrote:
So Kang showed me this forums thread. Man, it seems like I break more of you each time I adjust something. So, just to set the record straight about why this silliness/foolishness even occured ...

Thanks Seemant. I for one really appreciate your coming back in here and explaining things.

Even though this was a big inconvenience, I could tell right away you guys were between a "rock and a hard spot", so to speak. I think you chose the better of the two options you had at your disposal.

The only other downside for me was that I missed the revdep-rebuild warnings in the build due to multiple packages being built at the same time... the warning must have scrolled right on by and I never saw it. I wish there was a better way Portage could deal with this. Perhaps if Portage queued-up warnings and also displayed them at the end of its processing/building (as well as when it normally would for each package) this would help? Then I wouldn't have missed the warning and could have dealt with it right away.

What do you all think? Should I file a Portage enhancement request for this?
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the follow-up Reply with quote

fcgreg wrote:
Should I file a Portage enhancement request for this?

This is an often requested feature and there are several implementations available, for example, enotice and einfo.
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the follow-up Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that.

zmedico wrote:
This is an often requested feature ...

Is there any particular reason why it hasn't been added to Portage itself? Why are third-party patches and scripts required instead?

Having this feature in place would have prevented mission-critical package breakages for me and many other Gentoo-ers that I work with.
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the follow-up Reply with quote

fcgreg wrote:
Is there any particular reason why it hasn't been added to Portage itself? Why are third-party patches and scripts required instead?

Any particular benefit from having it included in portage? The external tools work pretty well.

fcgreg wrote:
Having this feature in place would have prevented mission-critical package breakages for me and many other Gentoo-ers that I work with.

Hopefully some of us learned something from this so it is more likely to be avoided in the future :wink: .
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the follow-up Reply with quote

zmedico wrote:
Any particular benefit from having it included in portage? The external tools work pretty well.

Are you joking? Why should external tools be required for something that is core to the system itself (ewarn, einfo), that so many people are requesting, and could be so helpful to so many?

zmedico wrote:
fcgreg wrote:

Hopefully some of us learned something from this so it is more likely to be avoided in the future :wink: .

Now I'm confused. Are you just busting my chops here and trying to be a jerk? I was making a simple point and asking a simple question, but your response hasn't even tried to provide an answer. What's the deal?

Does anyone actually have an answer to the question, or does everyone here in the Gentoo community want to belittle others that are asking for help? I've noticed a disturbing trend like this lately.
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seemant wrote:
So Kang showed me this forums thread. Man, it seems like I break more of you each time I adjust something. So, just to set the record straight about why this silliness/foolishness even occured:

mit-krb5-1.3 and 1.4 both had serious security vulnerabilities in them. We patched those just fine. Meanwhile, there was this issue of libcom_err and libss being provided by three packages: heimdal, mit-krb5 and of course e2fsprogs. The one from e2fsprogs is generally considered the canonical one and is used as the default system libs in most distros. Gentoo had a constant situation of one package's upgrade overriding anothers. So, we decided to break out ss and com_err into their own ebuilds (provided by the e2fsprogs sources) and let all three just depend/rdepend on them instead. That way, with some clever configuration scripts and patching, we were able to have no more overwriting.

Now, on the one hand, had we left things as they had been, the next e2fsprogs update would've broken people.

So, having said all this -- heimdal and mit-krb5 both had testing versions that depended upon the broken out libs, but due to multiple security vulnerabilities in each (and one more coming soon) they *had* to get upgraded. I was left with the following choice: continue broken behaviour of lib overwriting, leading to problems sporadically with e2fsprogs or mit-krb5's update breaking other things, or do the separate libs thing and issue revdep warnings? I opted for the latter.

But now in this thread I see that revdep-rebuild doesn't even work. For those willing does:

revdep-rebuild --soname libcom_err.so.3 work? Because if so, I'll happily change the postinst messages to be more specific.

Again, I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

Another "Thanks!" to Seemant for visiting the forums to address this problem. I've noticed that many developers disdain ever visiting the forums, while I believe that the forums are one of the foundations of Gentoo's popularity and useability. When users say that they "love the Gentoo community" (which I am one of), the forums represent a major part of that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: