Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had evolution crash on me too
It would crash when I went to mail settings
The trick was to start it once, then close it without going to mail settings
no more crashes for me

I don't want to emerge all those dependencies for evolution again

Does anyone know of a mail client that can read and update my dbx files from Outlook Express?

I want the client to do this "on-the-fly" like Outlook Express. I don't want to download the mail into one box then have to move it all manually to my dbx files.

This was the case for me with evolution, maybe I set it up wrong.

I wouldn't mind using Mozilla if it would just download mail to the local folders (or can it). I just want something that will automatically let me share my saved mail between Gentoo and, *ahem*, you know. :oops:
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla Mail :)
henke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using KMail for no particular reason but have decided to switch. I want to use the same email client on my desktop as on my old sucky laptop.

I need a gui because I'm not the only one who is going to be using the laptop. I would also like something that has a small memory footprint and is fast.

After reading this thread I've decided to go with sylpheed.

What is the diffrence between sylpheed and sylpheed-claws? Which one is faster?
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use sylpheed-claws and it's very fast and reliable

If you count the sylpheed mentions in this thread you have a winner!! :wink:
...and it isn't in the poll!!
bpkri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylpheed claws here, too.
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who is ignoring mutt is really doing themselves a disservice. There is no other MUA out there that offers the power and flexibility that mutt does. Between macros, hooks, keybindings and tags, I've finally got my mail behaving exactly as I want it.

It takes a while to get the hang of and figure out the configuration file(s), but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

--kurt
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mutt, but that's because I want the system MTA handling all the nitty gritty of email, and just want to use the MUA for composition and housekeeping. I use Emacs as the editor. I use Sendmail as my MTA.

I find having a real MTA is a great convenience - being able to send mail from scripts is very, very useful. For instance, at work, I get periodic updates on my machine status via Cron.

-- Curious
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried evolution, kmail, mozilla-mail, sylpheed, and maybe one or two others.
Ran across mahogany and stopped searching.
It has a windows version for those desiring to use the same proggie while stranded in enemy territory.
It also allows the use of an external editor for composing messages, though I've never tried it and don't know how well it works.
Those with less eccentric tastes than me, will likely find one of the clients with ebuilds to be satisfactory. :)

Incidentally: I was going to post this response to a different thread, but Phong bumped it to 'duplicate threads' before I made it to the submit button.
Had me worried for a bit there, I thought the moderators had taken over 'desktop environments'. :oops:
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloim wrote:
I've tried evolution, kmail, mozilla-mail, sylpheed, and maybe one or two others.
Ran across mahogany and stopped searching.

I'd never heard of mahogany until you mentioned it here. Looks pretty cool. On the list of features, I noticed the following:

Quote:
Embedded python interpreter for powerful scripting with full object-oriented access to Mahogany's internal structures and classes.

Any experience with this? Does it offer functionality similar to Mutt's macros and hooks?

--kurt
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
Embedded python interpreter for powerful scripting with full object-oriented access to Mahogany's internal structures and classes.

Any experience with this? Does it offer functionality similar to Mutt's macros and hooks?

Unfortunately I can't help you there. Never used that feature or Mutt.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind if I vent some anger here? Seems like an appropriate corner of the forums to do that. Alright, hold on, some accumulated frustration coming up.
:x :x :x :x :x
There, I feel better already. It's just that I have found no e-mail client that does everything I'd expect.
  • KMail handles CJK and European languages equally well, but doesn't have PGP/MIME support. Hope KDE 3.1 takes care of that... Pity it's so slow and will get slower with every feature added.
  • Evolution has a severely borked authenticated SMTP feature that doesn't allow you to change IDs, has a help function that for some reason uses Nautilus to screw over my KDE desktop, and looks so much like Outlook it makes you shiver.
  • Sylpheed is what I actually use, and it's great in every respect, almost as fast as mutt, perfect PGP support, scripting, you name it - just don't expect to handle both Japanese and German in the same LANG env... I mean, seriously, this was developed by a very bright Japanese bloke, how could he not do this properly?
  • Mahogany development appears to have stalled, and the current version lacks PGP and CJK support altogether, if I'm not mistaken.
  • mutt - yeah, well, mutt. I'd switch to mutt anytime if somebody wrote a GUI for that thing. Please?

I haven't used Emacs in six or seven years, maybe it's an alternative, but I just don't know enough about this, and besides, I wouldn't know where to look and what questions to ask.

Windows mailers are worse, actually, so I'm in no immediate danger of switching back any time, but there's another threat to my Linux user career looming: At present, I seem to be left with Apple Mail for OS X as my only choice... :(
jondkent
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to use Mutt, but recently moved over to Evolution which I think is well thought out, even if it is a bit of an Outlook clone

Jon
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged sylpheed-claws based on this thread and I used it for a few days, set up filters and various other stuff.

Now, I'm back to Kmail again. Syplheed was .... ummm justa piece of shit!

What a waste of bytes. It looked ugly, it has some strange handling when you use several accounts. it doesn't handle links very well. In general yuck!

Oh well, that's just my 2 cents ... (I'll be flamed now for not beeing 1337 enough to like the newest and hottest among the geekiest of all here)

Erik
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does kmail look like Outlook?
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

vaguely, kinda. But not as much as evolution does.

http://kmail.kde.org/screenshots.html

--kurt
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

I have no clue, never used Oulook :D

Erik
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Syplheed was .... ummm justa piece of shit! In general yuck!

Don't be silly, man... It works for ones, don't for others, it's kind of a free choice.
If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't judge as that a very nice piece of software that a group of people are developping with great efforts and giving you for free.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using sylpheed 0.8.5 (not claws), and it doesn't look significantly different from those screenshots of kmail... I guess kmail looks like a POS too ;)

Out of curiosity, what was the 'strange handling' when using several accounts? I have a couple, but use primarily one. Haven't perceived anything as strange.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When answering such a poll, I always consider usage for myself and for the technophobes under whose nose I am planning to shove linux too some time...

For myself sylpheed-claws(+xface/dillo) is the way I go, but it (don't hit me for this) misses html mail support to the full extent (swaering in the church... sorry). I therefore also use evolution because it is nice and does html (dillo is still somewhat limited) for those 10% of html mails that I don't want to miss. It's but a bit too slow for full time use and fast mail checking. I also use evolutions calender/planner.

for less computer literate persons it might be a little tedious getting those attachments and inlined pictures nicely presented in sypheed. It has a lot of interface info and control that might puzzle my 'granny'..
But it is an excellent app for sure and the one I do use most.

Kmail is nice too, but also too slow to start compared to sylpheed.

BTW evolution is very usable in KDE. You can even set it up to use konqueror as webbrowser :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't want html in my mail. Doesn't belong in there. Anyone can disagree, but you'd be wrong ;)
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I personally don't want html in my mail. Doesn't belong in there. Anyone can disagree, but you'd be wrong ;)

I knew I was "swearing in the church" :twisted:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aardvark wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:

I knew I was "swearing in the church" :twisted:

I swear all the time, don't worry about it :D

I need html in email too, not beacuse I use, but because my company sends out a shitload of emails that are html-only and it is a pain to read.

To the other one here looking at a screenshot of Kmail and said it looked the same, sure it does. It's not in the looks, it's in the functionality I didn't like Sylpheed (and here is where I was swearing in the church too because Sylpheed has now become 1337 and you better not try to diss it!)

I don't remember all the details, I have to rerun Sylpheed and right now I have a girl coming to pick me up from work for a booty call, so I have to continue tomorrow with the Sylpheed thing. A booty call is more important than discussing Sylpheed/Kmail. :twisted:

Cheers!
Erik
bonto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: mmmmm Reply with quote

sylpheed all the way.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I like Sylpheed a lot. It's just that I find it really hard to understand why something as elaborate as this piece of software would lack i18n support in the worst possible way. Here we are, well into the 21st century, and the bloody thing isn't built around Unicode? Non, mais. :evil:
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i go for kmail
evolution is kinda snazzy but I have found I prefer konq over mozilla and evolution opens mozilla for uls, and no way I have found to change this option
ideally id like to find a mail client capible of deleting mail from system servers when I delete it from my inbox but have yet to stumble across that feature outside of outlook.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: