View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lpoole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Various Applications SLOW on start up Reply with quote

Hello, I am experiencing a strange problem when I try to boot the following applications:

Openoffice 1.0.1-r3 or Openoffice-bin
Agent under Wine 20021125
Evolution 1.2.1

All of these applications hang when they start up for 2-5 minutes, and in the case of Agent, it also hangs when trying to connect to the news server. These applications were installed and running fine on my system, but after performing an emerge --update world they all started exhibiting this strange behaviour. I have since completely reinstalled gentoo, tried different versions of the same applications, and looked at bugzilla for each application with no success. I am using KDE 3.1 (although these problems occured in 3.0 as well) any thoughts?

Thanks
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: are any other apps loading slowly too, your file manager, for instance? I ask because I had a similar problem. It seemed that programs that checked the file system would become unbelievably slow. Even the kde file dialogs took forever to load. The problem was fixed by shutting down fam.

Hope this helps,

Seth
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you change your optimizations at all? Making them more agressive can cause that sort of thing.

Having a missconfigured hostname can supposedly make some apps take for ever to load also.

Do you happen to know what packages were updated when it caused the problem? If it was a net package that could have a lot to do with it...

Make sure you've cleaned out all your stale ._cfg files and merged them with you old /etc files.

My GPG/PGP Public key
lpoole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The optimizations I have been using are:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 =O3 -pipe"

although I just added -fomit-frame-pointer today.

My hostname entry is

drzoidberg.beerserver.dyn.dhs.org

My hosts entry is

127.0.0.1 drzoidberg

192.168.0.100 drzoidberg.beerserver.dyn.dhs.org drzoidberg
192.168.0.101 bender.beerserver.dyn.dhs.org bender

I am not sure what packages were installed as the update was quite large, and I did not realize that there was a problem for a couple days.

There are no stale ._cfg files, as I merged them all after the update.

As for any other applications, the three I mentioned are the only problem apps, all of the naitive kde applications seem to work with no problems... I have tried to check if there are any common dependancies between the three applications, but the dependancy trees are quite large, so I thought I would see if any others have had similar problems.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: